Register now to get rid of these ads!

how long to wait to clear over 1-shot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Kustoms, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

ok so i know i should have used hardener but i usually don,t clear over my striping but how long do i have to wait before i can clear it now??? i just finished striping a panel (flying eyeball and von dutch signature with dutch style striping) for a customer and i need to get it to him by friday.

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

You are treading in dangerous water....Why does it have to be cleared?

Anyway, 1-Shot makes a "Sign Restoring " clear that i've used and it's pretty good....You'd certainly be safe with it

3. paint-boy

paint-boy
    from Hector, MN

scott,

I usually put hardner in my 1 shot.....and then wait a couple days.....but since you didn't use hardner.....I'd wait a week possibly. Worst case.....it'll alligator on ya

4. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

it has a silver base with a red pearl midclear for a background and the pearl wont show until the clear hits it

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You can do it REAL Von Dutch style and just give it to the customer ....Jeeeeeeeez

6. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

AS LONG as the first coat of clear is just dusted on,,let flash 15,20 min you might be ok..there is no guarantee wheather you wait a day or a year..just gotta be careful and dont lay it on to wet.i would try a clear that dosent use reducer (dupont)

7. I usually let it set for 24 hours before clearing.If you let it set too long it will wrinkle. I've usedd PPG 2021 2042 as well as DuPont 3000 series clear with good results.

As said before,put a very light tack coat on;wait about 10 minutes and do another tack coat.Wait 10 more minutes and then put a wet coat on.Shouldn't have any problems but don't load it up initially or it will wrinkle.

I find that if the paint has been on more than a week,the chances it will wrinkle increase considerably.

I have also cleared over 1-Shot with Painter's Choice(a Rust-O-Leum product)rattle can clear before the paint has even dried but it's a chancey proposition.

8. If all the 1-Shot is still wet,you can spray
    automotive clear right over it,no problems.

Otherwise,dust on the first few coats real dry,
    and let them flash off,before spraying wet.

Even then,no guarantees.

9. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

thanks everyone for all the help i think i'll clear it tomorrow and start with a few light coats and hope for the best, i guess i should have known better but i certainly wont make this mistake again

10. Hmmm... wrinkle lines.... might start a new trend.....

11. McKee

McKee

What's the best hardener and how much of it should you use?

12. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I use whatever hardener goes in the clear. I put about 5 drops of hardener to about 1oz. of 1-shot.

13. brandon

brandon

i have had mixed results with the wet on wet .....had a motorcycle tank stripes start to seperate (yeah the one shot)
    also as far as waiting .....i have had stripes as old as a month lift....and i had a customer bring me a peddle car that someone had started to stripe....i striped over all of the old stripes that were maybe a week old.....with catalized one shot......and the old stuff lifted under my stuff.....so , yeah unkl ian is right on the money ......no gaurantees........brandon

14. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

thanks again for all the help, i ended up letting it sit over the weekend and yesterday i sprayed 3 dry coats, let it sit for 20 min. and then put 3 heavy coats on top and everything worked out perfect, ill try to post pics later tonight

15. 1-Shot makes a hardener specifically for Alkyd Enamels,
    also supposed to improve adhesion.

I have never used hardeners,for a few reasons.