Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 Ford pick-up locked out

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rustygt, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Pushed the passenger, keyed lock side handle forward and same with driver s door. Key will not allow the passenger door to un-lock and open now. Any suggestions as to getting the door open ? Both windows all the way up and tight, would removing the passenger door handle from the body allow me to pull the latch enough to get the door to open.
    I appreciate any ideas !

2. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Break the wing window............
    Use a slim jim to open the wing window.....

LW

3. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

No wing window a 41 PU

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. manyolcars

manyolcars

40s.jpg I have a bunch of these trucks, all rusty junkers found in the woods after many years. With everything rusted, none of the doors opened so I pried between the door and door jamb. Every one popped open without any damage to the metal. There is a lot of slack and some metal 'gave' enough. If you have nice paint use plastic as a protector. Pry at the door latch area

5. On my 47 coupe, the outside key doesn't control the inside handle, just the latch, if it's the same with the 41 pickup, you'll have to get to inside some other way. Happened to a friend with a Willy's pickup once. I remember taking the locking strip out of the rear window rubber, removing the glass and reaching in far enough to get the inside handle!

6. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

If you can get to the hinge pins,you could drive them out and move the door enough to get it open. Kind of a pain but better than prying it open.

intheyear2000 likes this.
  7. Remove the rear window Glass. It's just a rubber gasket with No inside trim. Slide a Kid inside the truck and have them open the door. Do damage to anything. New seal from Carpenter is about $40.oo
    The Wizzard

Russco and biggeorge like this.
  8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Same thing happened to my '40 coupe (with 39 door glass) I had pushed the door opener to the locked position and then used the key, dummy me forgot you cannot open the door with the lever down so I went in thru the trunk, kicked out the rear uphlostey panel to reach up and open the door. What a mess!

9. alchemy

alchemy

I'd also think window removal is the best bet. If the rear window is too small, how about the windshield? Maybe you needed a new windshield seal anyways?

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

An umbrella should be able to pull it back once the rear glass is removed. That by far is the best solution I can think of. Don't go putting any grandchildren at risk!!;)

Most likely you will be able to reuse the window gasket. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove with constant, patient pressure.;)

11. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Thanks for ALL of the solutions etc Bought a pack of these( http://www.ezshim.com/) at Ace Hardware, used them to open the door at the upper left jam ......then used a wire coat hanger and she popped right open. The local lock shop had a inflatable rubber bladder for $40 but the EZ shims were 2.99 for 12 ! Made of plastic so no paint damage.....sweet ! Now ready for Billetproof in Antioch !

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Hmmnnnn, this gonna turn into a 3 month, 300 post thread too? :)

13. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

Cops have those bladder things in their cruisers, flag one down as they pass your home. A donation to the PBA fund usually does the trick.

14. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Budgie like chipndale got more interesting stuff ? post it then ;)