Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2017 Banger Meet - A Change of Seasons***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. It does not look to be Ford casting
    I have not ever seen the cast number below the stamp pad
    Could be wrong send more pics of casting

J

2. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

Yes i have read those fordgarage and other pages like that. But not found any numbering even close to what i have.
    Here is picture of casting number just below valve cover. The casted number 2 below serial number seen previous picture is pretty common on ford blocks, ain't it. At least i think i have seen it on various pictures... IMG_20170914_071149.jpg

3. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

The russian model B engines have a stamped number below the valve cover, first picture as below, last 4 numbers are cast month and cast year, on driver's side they have cast marks as shown in second picture.

Attached Files:

4. choptop4

choptop4

Nitrous,your funny! It's a water heated manifold I made. It runs so much better now. It's like a new engine.

Dannerr and Lättähattu like this.
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

For what it's worth, Chrysler products started using tube shocks in the 1930s.

Dannerr and brjnelson like this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

here is little project of mine .
    body.JPG

hopefully a hill climber

Attached Files:

Dannerr, tomkelly88, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  7. Steve,
    Wow, nice project, Git 'er Done!
    Be careful with that head, as a suggestion, put some sodium silicate (liquid glass) in the cooling system.
    Old castings are prone to leaks, just a little will stop the minor stuff.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

body is chopped , channeled , sectioned & probably more than I know ..... but it was cheap !

** thanks john

Dannerr likes this.
  9. Good advice! Do the same with new "aftermarket" castings, as well. And don't forget to put non-hardening thread sealer in anything that goes near coolant jackets or conduits.

10. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

The russian model B engines have a stamped number below the valve cover, first picture as below, last 4 numbers are cast month and cast year, on driver's side they have cast marks as shown in second picture.[/QUOTE]

Not a russian cast, cause there is no 3M / M-some number castings and also number under valve cover doesn't match with any date. My best guess is that it is engine from a car, which is rebuilt here in Finland 4/8/1943 by Finnish Ford dealer or even army during the war. Cause engine number is same as vehicle VIN on those old Fords, they have ground it and renumbered the block. Does it make sense?

Anyway, looks like decent block, has sleeves in it, no cracks and babbits with lots of meat. So i'll use it, no matter what the history is :) By the way, how much the mobel B head could be milled if i mill the piston recess also to keep enough clearance?

Dannerr likes this.
  11. Not a russian cast, cause there is no 3M / M-some number castings and also number under valve cover doesn't match with any date. My best guess is that it is engine from a car, which is rebuilt here in Finland 4/8/1943 by Finnish Ford dealer or even army during the war. Cause engine number is same as vehicle VIN on those old Fords, they have ground it and renumbered the block. Does it make sense?

Anyway, looks like decent block, has sleeves in it, no cracks and babbits with lots of meat. So i'll use it, no matter what the history is :) By the way, how much the mobel B head could be milled if i mill the piston recess also to keep enough clearance?[/QUOTE]

Just my little opinion, don't bother trying to mill down the stock "A or B" head.
    You cannot get enough material off the deck surface to impact the CR.
    I see all kinds of stuff, guys milling off a 6:1 head and then using two head gaskets. What's the point.
    If you want better performance, find a head with 5.5 or 6:1 CR as cast. You will be much better off.
    I know someone is going to voice an opinion here, but, if you are not racing this vehicle, the Lyon heads were pretty good. Not as good as the Winfields for all out performance but will work very well for a street driven application.
    Some of the RePop Winfields are to stay away from. Do a search on authentic ones, if you care.

John

waxhead, Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  12. I just now got this photo from Bob Heathcote. It's of our car at the 2015 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. Coming into Turn 11 at Laguna Seca under heavy braking. I think it's one of the better shots of our car. rmmr2015.jpg

13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Finally got the Miller OHV banger running.
    DSCF3489.JPG DSCF3491.JPG DSCF3494.JPG

15. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Boy , that really looks beautiful. Now you got to leave that hood off. That's what I did . Keep us posted .Thanks . Bob..........................

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very nice car

waxhead likes this.
  17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I even left the hood off my 1937 Packard hot rod.
    pack side sml.jpg

18. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Love the Packard.

19. blgitn

blgitn

Jim,

I see two air cleaners; is there more cool stuff in there?

-Roger.

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes.... Sorry this is a six.
    I modified a McGurk 216 Chevy manifold to fit the stock Packard rams horn exhaust

What you can't see is the modified Chevy V-8 tach drive Mallory Dist. to fit the Packard and fit it with Mallory Ford 6 guts... to drive the Packard Export Tach I found at a swap meet
    Made the prewar trans shifter fit the postwar Packard Overdrive trans.
    It had a Packard 8 rear end and the 8's stronger drive shaft.
    It was bored +5/16 and fitted with Packard 8 rods
    Isky made a 3/4 race cam and sold me the NOS McGurk manifold
    It has a completely redesigned clutch .... stock one slipped like hell with the motor's increased power
    The hubcaps are NOS Korvan given to me by my adopted brother Don Ferguson

This all started when I found the TACH for $75.00 and thought it would be nice to build a "
    Traditional Hot Rod" on a 1937 Packard instead of a Ford. I had to make or invent tons of stuff in the process as they just didn't ever exist!
    A lot of design, fab and work.
    AND! People gave me shit about leaving the hood off!

pac mc gurk copy.JPG pac mo copy.JPG pack dash copy.JPG

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

some people would bitch if hung with a new rope . cant please them all

22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thank you SO MUCH for REALLY, REALLY "THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX"!!!!!! (& BEYOND Beautiful to boot!!) VERY, VERY "NICE"!!

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I spent my life building race cars.... There is really no "outside or inside any box"
    The best part is doing this stuff so it looks like you just brought it at the Western Auto or Pep Boys ;)

Here is a
    photo of the work it takes to get a Chevy six manifold to do just that trick
    manifold mod copy.JPG
    NAPA had just the correct color in a rattle can

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  24. The Pep Boys I dealt with as a boy growing up in Pasadena would take, for example, 21 stud Ford water pumps out of a junk yard, paint them with "Chrome-a-Tone" (including the grease and grime); and sell'um to us!

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

hot rodding is a learning curve . some times very steep , some times not so bad

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Two words ..... Spencer's T-Bird:)

I HAVE NEVER GROWN UP.... John You know that.
    JC Whitney not only did that kind of thing but promised you get better mileage.
    I still have my Pep Boys magnetic fender covers, too.

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Bluto : I meant "outside the box" as a serious compliment, not as a "slam" of any kind : you took a 'different' vehicle that most of us would not have considered "rodding" & did an outstanding job with it!

28. I don't that I'll EVER grow up! And I'm not too sure they'll ever let me OUTTA "The Box"! 20140324_161804.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I didn't take your compliment as anything other than a compliment. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. The point was and is that "outta the box" is how most customs were made. When I was a kid I didn't have the money to build a Packard even when they were just an old car worth $50 or so. I remember cars done in stages maybe one frenched headlight or shaved door handle till the owner had the time and, more importantly, the money do the other side. Most were primed only because you never got to the "rich enough" to paint it stage. We drank cheap beer only cause we couldn't afford good beer.
    You'd build whatever you had. I had the Packard 40 years later I found the tach it all seemed right too me. People would ask "Where's the hood?" My reply was always "I had a hood I traded it for these white sidewalls. Aren't they neat?"

I might be the only mechanic with a degree in Art History .....

John
    That's the fanciest Gilly suit I've ever seen. Mine was all ragso_O

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  30. I'll give it a go here too:
    Can anyone tell me more on this?
    Is there a feature thread on HAMB of it? I have searched, but haven't found anything.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Old Dawg likes this.