Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to cut stainless braided hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Sep 14, 2017.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Made a cut on some 3/8" stainless braid covered fuel line today. Not the greatest result, but worked out. First tried some large diagonals without success, then used a cutoff wheel on the braid, and cut the hose with box cutter. Worked OK, but a little more ragged than I want to see on future cuts..
    What successful techniques and tools are you guys using to cut braided hose?
    Thanks!

simpsonrl likes this.
  2. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

In order to reduce the ragged braid, I tightly wrap the hose with electrical tape then use a sharp (new) fine blade on a hack saw. A high speed cut off wheel also works but I have better luck with a hack saw. The electrical tape seems to be the 'secret'.
    I'm sure others will chime in with their solution(s). One more thing, practise makes perfect....

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

^^^ I've done similar with a high speed air cut off wheel without issue. Haven't tried a hacksaw. Bind the tape well on the braid and go slowly for a clean cut and make sure to cut right on the edge of tape so end is square. Also make sure you wear some PPE for your eyes and blow out the hose before assembly to remove rubber residue etc. There are special shears if you do a lot of this type of work however you'd need the volume to justify buying them IMHO. It's just another tool for the bottom of the box if not used.
    upload_2017-9-15_14-44-6.jpeg

31Vicky with a hemi and racer-x like this.
  4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tejp, Chunk of Aluminum on top the anvil...SHARP CHISEL + Big Hammer WACK!
    ...And my Koul Tool....Easy!

5. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Masking tape. hose clamp. cut as close to the hose clamp as possible.
    I use masking tape as a lubricant for all kinds of cuts. Works great on plexiglass.
    It helps on sheet metal too. Oh... with a reciprocating air saw

Jugornot likes this.
  6. speedway sells the cutter shown above. its well worth it.

7. Ask the 1980's

Sorry, couldn't resist.

bobss396, Blues4U, Crankhole and 2 others like this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

I use electrical tape and a multi speed dremel with a small cut off wheel. Really clean cuts and if you have a stray end the dremel cuts each strand easily.

9. Once you use the hose cutter you wont do it any other way. The tool costs about 25 bucks. Plus there are no fine particles of junk. When i cut hose in the past with a saw and had some strands i cut them off with a finger nail clipper. Works great.

10. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I work for a manufacturer of PTFE lined SS braided hose. We use Fiberglass packing tape wrapped around the hose and cut thru the glass tape (in the middle of the wrap) with a band saw. There are little or no wire braid strands left to worry about.
    Typically the way hose is braided you will find one end of the SS braid are pulled down and the other end is "flared" out, the flared end is usually where the problems arise. We use SS "crimp" collars so the process for installing the fittings is different than a reusable fitting however the cutting process would apply to most assemblies.

11. rjones35

rjones35

I use to cut a lot of hose at a place I worked back in the day. We wrapped it in tape then used a sharp, thick gasket scraper, or a chisel would be the same, and a hammer on the concrete floor. One smack and a nice clean cut. Now if you're talking on the car or whatever, then yeah probably the cutter mentioned above.

12. I've been meaning to try this but I don't honestly know if it will work........
    I want to try using a tube cutter, the type plumbers use for rigid or soft wall copper pipe. Wrap with tape, insert a rod or bolt the same I.D. as the hose and have at it with the cutter. The stainless wire may be too tough but if it works, it should produce a rounded shoulder on the hose with no fraying. .........Or it could be a total mess. :confused:

EDIT: I guess the rod idea would only apply to an end cut, not in the middle of a long roll. So roughly cutting to size first, then final trimming the ends. I think a lot would depend on the sharpness of the tube cutter.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  13. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks, gents, for all the helpful replies.
    My next efforts should now produce better results!

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

For me electrical tape is too gummy and use masking tape. To cut the hose, I went to HF and bought a small chopsaw with the 6" thin blade for around $20, using the clamp vise it cuts clean and square. Be careful of cheap braided hose as after you remove the tape the braid blossoms and becomes a PITA trying to install the fittings.

15. partssaloon

partssaloon

Once you get past that point you might want to try this.