Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

From previous years, I know the strategy of make a pass as early as possible, then pack up and roll out for the next destination. But with the weekly average, wouldn't a second pass be warranted here?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  2. As soon as the corvette went deep into the sixes the strategy changed. I cant beat that so we want to get to the next stop. We knew it was going to be a long day. Its 1130 now and im just going to bed. It could have been 330 if i stayed.

Ron Funkhouser, els, enloe and 3 others like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nitro dreams......

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  4. I just read lutz is out. You dont win or place well if you are not there on friday. Running the car for a second pass also puts more strain on us and the car. We have to be there on friday with a running car.

els, enloe, bobwop and 2 others like this.
  5. Lutz got there too late for tech and his co-pilot got caught in Florida with Irma.

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. This old drive in was one of our stops. This place was cool. I had to walk around. 20170911_131208.jpg 20170911_131349.jpg 20170911_131446.jpg 20170911_131503.jpg 20170911_131517.jpg

7. 20170911_155635.jpg 20170911_163624.jpg 20170911_155635.jpg 20170911_163624.jpg the bridge was cool to go over. The van is full of hot rod staff shooting pics. They pull along side and hang out of the van. 20170911_155635.jpg 20170911_163624.jpg They told jim and i they were going to follow us. Thats how they get all those cool cover shots.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man I am not getting much work done this week:)

9. The way the pipes look it was on a pass. They look good. I guess its time to get rid of the mallory point mag and get a msd pro mag. My son said on the live feed they said the 60 foot clocks didnt record a time due to tripping them with the rear wheels.

loudbang, bobwop, els and 1 other person like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The picture sure looks like it was on a run and working good also.

loudbang and els like this.
  11. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Mans game

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and els like this.
  12. Drag week is not for the weak. You wont find possers there. The guys doing it are hard core. Its a true tough guy event. Its so hard to do well. Thats why i do it.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My chassis builder friend I introduced to you at the Meltdowns, who works at Precision Turbo, live streamed at work. He said he couldn't wait for me to relay your progress to him. He also said to me the way he interpreted the stream was that you had to back out of it shortly after the front end lifting at 80'-100'.
    I asked if you can tell when listening live that the Nasty Nitro Coupe is louder than most? He said yes!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

racer-x, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Good video I see 3 H.A.M.B.ers
    RacerX
    Squirrel
    and Dman313 in the flat black Chevy truck David also owns the Gizzlehopper Cackle car

kidcampbell71, JUNK ROD, els and 3 others like this.
  15. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Yes

els and loudbang like this.
  16. tomcat11

tomcat11

This is an amazing thread. Over the last week I have been catching up and don't know how I missed it. The detailed explanations are excellent and very educational even to seasoned racers.

I did notice something odd in the first picture of post 1952 (pg. 66). The front toe setting looks odd. Could it be Ackermann affect, bump steer, optical, tie rod flexing? Steering looks straight but the right front wheel looks to be toed in too much. Just an observation. Whatcha think?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  17. When we left st.louis raceway the trans was slipping so bad it was not driveable. We tried everything we could do to keep going. So now what do we do? I cant hold jim up any longer even though he offered to stay until we figured out how to get back to cordova to retrieve the trailer. We got lucky. A guy from minnesota was following the cars for the week. He was not competing just spectating. He offered to drive me back the 3.5 hrs to get my trailer. I gave him my hotel room free in return as i wasnt going to see it.. He didnt want any money. That ended up putting him 40 miles out of his way. I then drove back 3.5 hrs to get the car. I got to it about 11:30 pm. It was nice to
    see it was still there. Mark stayed behind to watch it. We then drove home pulling in around 9:30 am. I got 2 hrs of sleep then pulled the trans. We will drive it to the grove but not race it due to the mag issues. I had no time to pick up the generator.

18. Welcome to the thread. Im glad you find it interesting. Its not for everyone. Yes the toe is off. We got it aligned after that pic was taken. Good eye.

els and loudbang like this.
  19. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

My earliest recollection of the sound of a nitro car was before age 5. When I heard your car on the live feed on Tuesday it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. There is nothing else like it.
    I'm sorry to read that you couldn't continue, but looking forward to following your progress.

kidcampbell71, racer-x, els and 2 others like this.
  20. I have had my phone strapped to the dash in my semi catching a glimpse every now and then as I'm rolling down the road on the live feed. Mainly just listening though.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, els and loudbang like this.
  21. I just heard on the live feed that Racer X has just arrived at the track and will be making passes.....

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  22. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  23. tomcat11

tomcat11

Thanks man. The Nitro stuff is very interesting. Looks like it was on full boogie day 2 at gateway. It seems this drag week deal is hard core for sure! Best of luck. Tom

loudbang likes this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My friend told me about and hour ago that the OP boss's block is cracked. That's terrible news on top of I thought he had the fried third gear. Anyway come on Donovan AL block!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Dammit!

loudbang likes this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

At 2:20 in the vidio it looks like the front wheels are not running true, can't tell if at the outer portion or all the way to the hub..I don't know how to slow mo to answer my own question...

loudbang and Avgas like this.
  27. I saw that to. We were on a very bad stretch of road when that pic was taken. It was so bad they had signs up along the road. Its almost looking like it wants to death wobble. The road was like a wash board The block did crack at the botfom of number three cylinder. It has been this way since mokan. We had stop leak in it and that was holding. After st.louis we noticed more water in the oil so we think the crack is getting bigger. We have to take the pan off for a good look. We chose not to run today out of safety. If the cylinder would break further the cylinder might hydraulic. If it did there would be a massive on track incident. Think fire; long cleanup and medivac helicopters here. It also wouldnt be fair to the other racers and fans with a long delay. I also would not want them to change the rules banning nitro if things went bad. We will be at rock falls without water in the block for more fun. Thanks everyone for posting what you find on the net. I will post a pic of the crack soon. For some reason the pic isnt showing up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    kidcampbell71, els, bobwop and 8 others like this.
  28. Good talking to you and best of luck @ Rock Falls.

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.