Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lost my balancer bolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Sep 14, 2017.

1. COOP

COOP

Anyone know what dia.size and thread count the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on a 241 Dodge hemi is? Sum dum ass lost mine. Thanx.

2. Wish could help you, sometimes when I don't know a bolt size I use my tap set. Screw in by hand not with the tool.

3. Or if ya have a thread gauge ya might be able to get in there and find the thread size. Then it's only 1 or 2 options.

4. COOP

COOP

My taps ain't that big.......guess I gotta get more. Thanx

5. LOL I would make a good mechanic statement but you probably are a good mechanic. :D

I am an old machinist/mechanic (automotive and otherwise) and have tools of mine combined with the tools I inherited from my old man who was also an automotive machinist and mechanic. I may have a tool or two that others don't have. ;)

6. rjones35

rjones35

loudbang likes this.
  7. It can be figured out with basic observation skills. Grab a thread chart off the internet, one that lists the pre-tapped hole sizes needed before tapping, and see what size drill bit slips in without hanging up on the threads. (Use the back, blunt end of the bit if possible.) Compare that to the chart to determine the probable bolt size. Note that a course thread and a fine thread are slightly different size on the chart. If the hole is easy to eyeball and not in the bowls of the car, see if you can tell if the thread is course or fine. There's only a limited number of possibles.... 1/2" or 5/8", course or fine for example. Stick a pencil in the hole to roughly figure the depth, add the thickness of the balancer and subtract about 1/4" for thread taper/not bottoming out/etc.

Beaner's tap suggestion will work, especially if the threads are clean and not hammered. Lastly, buy a bolt that's most likely and test fit it. Worst case, you guessed wrong and have to take another trip for another bolt.

Or someone can answer your question in the opening post and take all the fun out of it. ;) :p :D

rjones35 likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

3/4 inch 16 thread

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017