Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Prefect - "Altered" Style Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

Good Video of the Fall Fall Out
    Pelissier Brothers match up at the 10.50 mark

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    els likes this.
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Our racing season has come to an end. A short racing season is just one of the sh*tty things about living in the north... you know - besides the -40, 8ft of snow and blck swarms of mosquitoes. As with the Scout build thread I'm signing off the season with a summary and plans for next year.

My brother Paul has been the primary driver / keeper of the Prefect. It sits in his shop, he trailers it around and so... he gets to drive it. I got to make a single pass in it this year. We've been building it for 5 years now and this is the first time I've even sat in it with it running. (Huh !!) Paul's daughter Megan has more passes in it than I do... Oh well ... she is 120 lbs lighter than either her father and I and cuts better lights. At Meltdown this year she went .005, .012, .003, .003 (Yikes !!)

This year we went back to the Meltdown even with high hopes for better performance. We had the correct injectors for the application and a better baseline. Our initial passes were disappointing but at Meltdown we threw some more timing at it and the rusty beast woke up - big time !! We went from 10.90's to 10.50's and a best et at Meltdown of 10.29 / 131 with flyweight Megan driving. We also established that this could be a serious bracket car if we chose. We made 3 back to back to back runs in the space of about 20 minutes. Only stopping long enough to change drivers and add fuel. The Prefect went quicker with each pass - probably due to actually getting heat in the engine.

Back home we found that we were running a bit more timing than we really wanted (41 degrees). The plugs looked fine but did show that we could back it off a bit (to be safe) The best analysis is the fuel pump is overloading the system at high RPM but the aggressive timing was actually burning the fuel. If we back off the timing it immediately falls back to the 10.90 times and it lays over past 6000 rpm. To make the adjustment we brought in a high speed bypass. We'll test that little bit of kit next year.

To close out the season we went to the Fall Fall Out in Rock Falls Wisconsin. I won't get into the details since the write up is only a couple of post earlier. But I will repeat that this event is a blast. The Prefect was consistent and predictable and turned a new best time of 10.27 - with Paul driving.

Next year:
    • We will add the high speed bypass and see if we can maintain the 10.30 - 10.50 times with less aggressive timing.
    • I am on the hunt for the inside window moldings and a dashboard. I think this will add some finish to the build.
    • Aluminum panels for the inside of the doors - maybe - we'll have to see how that looks.
    • Old school lettering. Faded and weathered of course. (I hated the white chalk lettering on the car this year)
    • How about a trans brake launch ?? - you know - just because !! It has one... why not use it ?
    Thanks to:
    • Paul and Megan for taking care of the rusty beast
    • Our supporters: Softy's Speed Shop, Brazier Race and Machine, Pro-Gear Performance Drive-trains
    • MDA for letting us play in their sandbox(s)
    • The Great Lakes Gassers / Jon Tomkins for letting us run with them at Meltdown

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    OahuEli, els and loudbang like this.
  3. raidmagic

raidmagic

Enjoy your off season. I kinda like the shoe polish lettering, it fits the build, but I can see some lettering done right on it. That would set it off for sure.

els, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  4. Saxxon

Saxxon

Oh oh... My brother Paul came to me yesterday with a strange - wild look in his eyes... apparently the 10.27 at the MDA Fall Fall Out was far too close to a 9 second et and the call of the 9's has been eating away at him... It's a disease that has infected many and it''s a terrible terrible affliction... cured only with expensive parts and throwing bucket fulls of money at the race car using a shovel.

I tried to talk him out of messing with the engine (It's working...finally) and looking for ways to remove weight but he's not having any of it. Especially coming from a guy that has spent thousands of dollars on messing with the Scout's combination... sometimes days after getting things sorted out. (Anyone want to buy a Magnafuel fuel pump ??? Only 8 passes on it)

He's talking about replacing the Dart Iron Eagle heads with something aluminum that flows better. He's also talking about swapping out the .600 lift circle track style roller cam for a drag race specific .650+ unit... We know the injection can flow enough as it's borderline too big as it is. I'm not totally against this plan but I sure would hate to mess with something that is working and only now starting to respond the way we want it to.

Personally I would rather put in some titanium valves and upgrade the fuel system so we could dump about 70% nitro in the beast - just because that would be way cooler. Far more expensive once you factor in the engine upgrades, fire suppression system, chassis cert, new -20 racing suit and helmet etc etc... but way cooler !!

I'll keep you posted on this

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    els, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Look out he's got the dreaded "MAD CAR" disease

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

The 2017 Meltdown Drags (7) is over and done - and it was epic. The Prefect did what we have come to expect from it and that is to run mid to low 10's and run laps like a slot car. All we did was put fuel in it and get back into line.

Prior to the event we had the Rusty Beast at Interlake Dragway to knock the cobwebs off of it. It responded with a best performance to date of 10.17 / 131. 4 passes in the day - put it in the trailer - Meltdown ready

My brother Paul, his daughter Megan and Megan's boyfriend Ryan were the crew hauling the Prefect to the event. The trip down to Meltdown was a little different this year as we decided to stop over in Eau Claire rather than doing an iron-man and trucking straight through. The full night sleep, shower and a toothbrush did wonders. The event itself was awesome if not a bit chaotic. There were a number of oil downs and stoppages that slowed down the event and the staging lanes became over crowded. The MDA Crew jumped in and sorted it out and then they started calling by groups. The Prefect was running 10.50's in the heat and we all seemed pretty happy with that. Paul and Megan were alternating driving duties all weekend.

Saturday night was the "Show" and the Great Lakes Gassers vs. Nostalgia Gassers match ups. Megan went first but lit the big red bulb with a .496 (foul) launch. She was pretty bummed but the Prefect went 10.42 as the air started to cool. The 2nd run was optional. I passed on running the Scout but Paul got back in line. He won his match up and ran a 10.37. That was it for the Saturday. This was a pretty good day overall.

Sunday night - it rained. We got to the track for 9am and Paul / Megan / Ryan rolled in around 11. probably 80% of the cars had left and the staging lanes were wide open. The decision was made to pass on more runs, load up and head home.

The trip back was uneventful with all of us crashing for the night in Fargo. This made the last 4 hrs very manageable in the morning.

The Prefect performed well. It's not broken and we are planning to have it out at Interlake Dragway for the Sept long weekend. We are also planning a return trip to the Fall Fall-out in Rock Falls Wisconsin Sept 29/30.

els and loudbang like this.
  7. raidmagic

raidmagic

Awesome!! Glad you had success and brought everything back home in one piece.

8. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

Superb car. Loved Anglias Prefects and Populars here in the U.K. since the 60s. Had a few. Like the original paint.

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

I mentioned that my brother sat down with the travelling reporter from Roadkill while we at the Meltdown event. Well - we got some ink. It's a little inaccurate but who the hell cares... we were featured in Roadkill !!

http://www.roadkill.com/roadkill-takes-nostalgia-racing-meltdown-drags-2017/

I love this section of the write up:

More than anything, the event revolves around fun and history in that order. No one “wins” the Meltdown Drags. Organizers refer to the Meltdowns as a “reenactment” rather than a race, but this isn’t your garden-variety Civil War reenactment or vintage baseball match.

Everyone at the Meltdown Drags wants to be there because they love the cars and the traditions of the quarter-mile. I found no LS engines, no self-learning EFI, and no other modern drag-racing wizardry. Instead, vintage race cars—from 1966 or before—graced the grounds, some raced in period and others period-correct tributes.

Every single entry at Meltdown Drags has a story as deep as those we’ve shared. Altereds, gassers, rail dragsters, old-school hot rods, and super-raw old motorcycles…All of them have incredible stories that play out in bursts of eight to 15 seconds.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Good stuff. That's a nice write up on your deal but on the event over all. You're scout was posted on Instagram a week or so ago. I was like, Hey I know that car. lol

Saxxon and loudbang like this.
  11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Lake Kokannee:
    New Canadian Great Lake...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Oh by the way - this is what 21 yo Megan usually drives.
    468 BBC on alcohol. Has gone 7.97

[​IMG]

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Does Megan like the dragster better or the Prefect?

loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Interesting question... she really likes to go fast and win. So that would be the Dragster. She also likes the Vintage events and she's gotten a lot more attention with the Prefect... but if push comes to shove she would go with the long car

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

More pics from Meltdown 8 20139917_997480747058450_342939528447556594_n.jpg 20156015_1901795856745596_3100933868466654036_n.jpg Capture.PNG

16. Saxxon

Saxxon

More Meltdown 8 20228422_997480763725115_1077105512475766129_n.jpg meltdown-drags-2017-coverage-5.JPG meltdown-drags-2017-coverage-6.JPG meltdown-drags-2017-coverage-7.JPG

17. Saxxon

Saxxon

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I had a rear engine car and it was fun but just was lacking something up front....if you know what I mean.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Great build thread and really cool car.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Fall Fall Out - Rock Falls Wisconsin:

Wow... What a great weekend !! Rock Falls just became my favorite track. It's immaculate, the staff were great and it hooked hard. The track staff kept things safe and moving along at a good pace. Clean up and the frequent drive shaft recoveries were quick and effective.

6 of us made the 10 hr trek down to Eau Claire / Rock Falls Wisconsin (Paul and wife Kim, friend Brett and wife Tanya and my wife Lori and I) and we brought the Scout and the Prefect. In an odd turn of fortunes, the Scout was running well... very well... and the Prefect was having some issues.

The MDA put on a great event. It was smaller and more intimate than Meltdown and because of this we got to make pretty much as many passes and time would allow. The BBQ was great (thanks for feeding us) and the match races within the race were a lot of fun to watch. The spectator turnout was very good, especially Saturday. We had a blast hosting folks in the pits, answering questions and putting kids and big kids in the cars for photo ops. Even the impromptu car show in the parking lot was great... The after hours socializing with old friends and the new friends really made the event a complete experience.

A few weeks back, we had the Scout and Prefect at our home track in Gimli Manitoba. Right off the trailer the Prefect was slow. The air was very good and the track was biting so we were expecting very low 10's and maybe even a 10.0 but instead we got 10.80's ?? Paul spent a lot of time cleaning out the fuel system and checking the basics but it wouldn't rev past 6,000 rpm. We decided it was a weak Mag so we ordered a stronger bigger better one from Alkydigger, dropped it in and went off to the Fall Out event.

Very quickly we discovered the new mag helped but it didn't help as much as we thought. The expected 10.30's were 10.60's and it still wouldn't rev over 6,000. It still did hellacious burn outs but it wouldn't ET. Then it wouldn't start. Paul and Brett tried for some time and only succeeded in flooding the crap out of it. So they pulled and reset the plugs, changed the oil and blew the fuel out of the system. That did the trick and we got it fired but not before spraying down a few folks with alcohol from the headers... Once fired it ran well and ripped off 10.60's like a bracket car for the rest of the weekend.

We matched the Scout with the Prefect for 3 races and that entertained the troops pretty well. The spectator appeal of the Rusty Beast is very high and it constantly had folks checking it out on the high traffic Saturday.

In the end it was a great weekend. Fun was had by all and the trip there and back was safe and oddly relaxing. Plans are already in the works to come back for the Fall Fall Out 3. Brett is determined to have his 38 Ford truck in attendance. A friend of my Brother came down without us knowing - Donnie Edwards - and the Vintage / Nostalgia bug has bitten hard. He came to look at a 55 Gasser that turned out to be far less than advertised but he's gone home with ideas about changing his 8.80 Super Comp Chevy II into a straight axle monster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the loaded to capacity spectator parking
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  21. Saxxon

Saxxon

Season End Report:

The Prefect has some issues. We now suspect the fuel pump is under achieving so the plan is to send it out to be serviced and flowed. We also have a high speed by-pass to install. I am working on some window moldings, door handles, a dash board, and adding some alloy door panels. We don't mind the rustic barn find look of the interior but it's a little too rustic (in my opinion). We also plan to get it lettered ... and get rid of that hideous window chalk lettering my brother thought was acceptable - NOT !!!

So we have a bit of work to do but the Prefect will be running as good as ever in 2018. My brother and his daughter Megan run a Super Comp dragster at our home track (13 events) and they use the Prefect between points meets. The plans are to hit the Meltdown Drags 9 and Fall Fall Out 3 events and probably run a few events locally like the Altona Airport Drags and maybe event the Neepawa and Yorkton Airport events ... just for fun of course.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Saxxon

Saxxon

Over the winter we upgraded the mag to a Don Zig Super Mag and cleaned out the fuel system. Other than that... we did nothing to it... because we need to - do nothing to it.

First fire was last week and Ugly Beast lit the candles with little provocation. We hit the track the following Saturday for the Long Weekend test n tune. Paul and Megan made 4 passes, all without issues. 10.60 check out then 10.50, 10.48, 10.49.

3 of the 4 passes were done with the Scout in the other lane. The Prefect did great rolling burnouts and was "LOUD". More than a few fans were entertained and even the folks running the track thanked us for the unscheduled match races. Once again they told us - we put on a better show than the folks he paid to be there

So... the Prefect (and the Scout) are in good working order and ready for the season. Both will be at the Meltdown 9 event July 20, 21, 22

Pelissier Family Racing have been asked to put on a Nostalgia Match Race show at our home track - Interlake Dragway - Gimli Manitoba, for the Sept long weekend (we have 6 cars so far) and we will be at the Fall Fall Out 3 in Rock Falls Dragway at the end of September.

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  23. Saxxon

Saxxon

Nostalgia / Meltdown Drags style cars - Open invitation - Sept 1, 2, 3 (Long Weekend) - Interlake Dragway - Gimli Manitoba Canada (About 90 minutes north of Winnipeg)

As stated above, Pelissier Family Racing has been asked to put on a nostalgia show as part of the long weekend program at Interlake Dragway. We will be part of the entertainment that includes Jet Cars.

We have 6 cars more or less confirmed and we could use 2 or 4 more cars (or more !!).
    If anyone is interested in joining the show Please Contact:
    > Dave Pelissier - 1-204-878-2116 or [email protected]
    > Paul Pelisser (Pro-Gear) - 1-204-783-4327 or [email protected]

We are looking for nostalgia / old school style cars that are pre - 1971 - ish
    > Front engine dragsters or Rear engine dragsters with the correct "vibe"
    > Funny cars and AWB match bashers
    > Gasser and gasser style door cars
    > Altereds - old school - non aero
    > Comp and modified coupes and sportscars
    > Stock and Superstock style - old school
    > Comp and Modified eliminator (See exceptions)
    > 60's style drag bikes

This is a 2 day commitment (Sunday and Monday) We will be asked to make at least 3 passes each day as a group. Typically- around 11am, 1:30 and 4:30 (ish). Saturday is test n tune and not structured. If you can only make 1 day we would recommend it to be Sunday as that is the "big show" / most spectators day. The track is open Friday night for early arrivals (No racing Friday).

The plan is to simply match up similar cars and make passes for the sole purpose of entertainment. Cross the line burnouts, dry hops, big wheelies, are all acceptable and encouraged. If you want to run 1/8th mile - sure. Just want to bring the car for static display - ok as well. We will write up a short highlight story for your vehicle and the tower will talk about your history and cool factor

Some exceptions will be made:
    > Special interest or really cool stuff that simply needs to be there... Send us a photo - we'll let you know
    > Anything twin engine (Paris brothers...are you listening ??)
    > Comp eliminator stuff from the mid 70's - especially high rpm, wheel standing, 5 speed stuff
    > Got a old school Top Sportsman car from the 80's in the garage - let us know

Interlake Dragway is a 1/4 mile airport based facility that has been open since the late 70's. It is IHRA sanctioned. It has good traction, huge pit facilities and a "very" long shutdown area. It's alo the site of the Gimli Glider incident - if you want to say "I was there"

Gimli Manitoba is a small resort town on Lake Winnipeg. It features a nice beach, a golf course and some Icelandic themed special interest areas. There are some very good restaurants (Europa's has massive portions of very good food) and souvenir shops.

Hotel and Facilities:
    There are hotels and camping in the area but they will likely be at a premium for the long weekend. Winnipeg is about 90 minutes away if you want to drop trailer and commute.

Interlake Dragway has ample trailer and RV parking and camping space. They have washrooms and 1 shower. Concessions are open during race times. Race fuel is NOT sold on site.

Disclaimer:
    (Sorry if this chases folks away - but it has to be said)
    All cars making a pass - must go through tech inspection... No exceptions !!
    > Personal safety equipment as required by the IHRA - MUST be current. Helmet, Belts, Suit, bar padding etc. This is a track requirement that we support completely.

If your car or safety equipment is not compliant to current standards - you can run 1/8 mile passes, idle it down the track or show it as a static display.

This is not a competition - this is purely exhibition...
    > There will be no ladder or eliminations - just a stress free and easy weekend with good people. If you want to match race with another car - absolutely.

There is no money to be made here...
    > No prize money - no eliminations
    > No appearance money - the track is offering free entry for the weekend
    > Travel costs, Hotels and Food are your responsibility

No modern facsimile of pre 1970 cars...
    > No modern wheels or big ugly aero hood scoops
    > No carbon fiber low rollers
    > No steam roller rear ends / pro street set ups
    > No nitrous or modern turbocharger setups
    > Absolutely Positively - No Throttle Stops !!! - They suck when it comes to entertainment value

If you are crossing the border into Canada
    > Bring a passport or current identification
    > Leave your firearms and medicinal marijuana at home.
    > If you have a criminal record or DUI's - you might be turned away

Contacts:
    > Dave Pelissier - 1-204-878-2116 or [email protected]
    > Paul Pelisser (Pro-Gear) 1-204-783-4327 or [email protected]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Saxxon

Saxxon

The highlight for my racing summer for the last 7 years has been the Meltdown Drags at the historic Byron Dragway in Byron Illinois.

We are honored and very grateful that our race cars are selected to attend this amazing event. What is quickly becoming a close second on the list is the MDA's Fall Fall Out in Sept. It is a perfect way for us to end our season.

But the highlight within the highlight is getting an invitation to run at the Meltdown Drags with the Great Lakes Gassers as part of their friendly rivalry with the Nostalgia Gassers Racing Association...

Yesterday we got the call from Tim Timoszyk of the GLG... We accepted with much enthusiasm.

My family and I are very excited to have the Prefect and the Scout as part of their group. Both the GLG and NGRA are great people and great competitors and I feel privileged to call members and their families - from both groups... friends.

I especially appreciate the fact they have chosen to ignore the fact the Prefect is not a gasser, but both groups have agreed to let it run as part of the show.

Thank you Great Lakes Gassers

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Meltdown 9 Pics

Prefect performed flawlessly. It ran mid 6's in the 1/8th, it was loud and did some decent burnouts...

37994130_2308572042516917_2644789308384346112_o.jpg 38071775_2217130378517743_9160294141395992576_o.jpg 38072415_2217127895184658_5320069826553577472_o.jpg 38297882_2128391994085980_4994886208917078016_o.jpg 38433190_1655311404566733_1879176645881888768_o.jpg

26. Saxxon

Saxxon

27. raidmagic

raidmagic

Man I like that car.

loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  28. Saxxon

Saxxon

This was a great event at Rock Falls Raceway... cold... but tons of fun. The Prefect, with my brother Paul driving, ran flawlessly in the mid 10 second range and matched up with the Scout to really put on a show. Long burnouts, dry hops and good safe passes.

We even made a few folks grin by using the Prefect to tow the Scout to the staging lanes. Fall Out's fastest / coolest Golf cart ??

Thank you Motor Race Images and Competition Plus for the pics.

44525150_2187310407968657_8513648143097659392_o.jpg 8G6A1307_0.jpg 8G6A1315_1.jpg 8G6A4064_1.jpg FFO3 P&S1.PNG FFO3 P&S2.PNG FFO3 P&S3.PNG FFO3 P&S4.PNG FFO3 P&S5.PNG FFO3 P1.PNG Fall Fall Out 3 Pics:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    saltflats and loudbang like this.
  29. raidmagic

raidmagic

Man you're getting those hoops up on the Scout.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Wow... has it been 5 years since I updated this thread (Sorry)
    We sold the Prefect
    The good news is we sold it to racing friends and it's staying local

Our very good racing friends, The Misko family, Gary & Kim with daughters Katie and Mac, have been running their 39 Willys streets at the Meltdown Drag events as well as the Fall Out events and the Manitoba Gasser events. But the car truly belongs on the street. Gary and Kim were talking about this for the last couple of years and came to the realization that the solution was literally in the pit next to them

Last year at the Manitoba Gasser event they started the negotiations to purchase the Prefect. This last month at the Fall Fall Out it all came together and the deal was made. After Gary completed a check out pass he came back up to the line and after a really good burnout, and Katie doing back-up duties, Gary made an excellent 10.57 / 128 pass. And with that (and an ear to ear grin) handshakes were made and ownership transferred

The Prefect Storm is in very good hands and I'm sure it'll be run hard and often. Just as it was intended. It's a safe, well built car that has shown to be easy to drive and extremely dependable. I encourage Gary and Kim to make the car their own but I am also confident the overall look and feel of the car will not change.

Good bye to the little rust bucket (sniff)
    Good luck to the Misko clan - Hope you have as much fun with it as we did

378127465_659584132940371_7319549118142632633_n.jpg Gary 3.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    anothercarguy and Just Gary like this.