Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Help out a Marine!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodbuilder32, Sep 12, 2017.

1. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

So my apprentice joined up and is stationed at 29 Palms. He is from Iowa and not on here can anyone in California list some "can't miss" car shows and smaller weekend ones for him to attend so that I can pass them along to him as he proudly serves our country!!!!
    And thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, oldsjoe, Fern 54 and 2 others like this.
  2. cosmotiki

cosmotiki
    from SoCal

Cruisin' For A Cure is supposed to be the largest 1 day cruise in the US. It's at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, Sat. 9/23. A bit of a hike from 29 Palms, but a bit of everything there. Also is the Mooneye's Xmas party at Irwindale Speedway on Sat 12/9(?).

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and els like this.
  3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'm sure the Lt., and Gunny will take up most of his time.....lol.

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

29 Palms is way out there, about 2 hrs from El Mirage Dry Lake.
    Oct 22nd Sunday is a one day event
    Nov 11th and 12th is a two day'r
    $15 for 2 days (cheap), bring a tent... he will be used to sleeping on the ground like a dog.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Route 66 Crusin' Reunion in Ontario is this weekend. Three days of music and
    cruising. I'll be there. He can hang out with me. Tell him to bring money and buddys.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. What kind of cars is he into?

Charlie Stephens

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  7. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are HAMBers on MCAGC that he will see driving around. There is a small shop in Yucca that builds some cool traditional stuff.

Other than that, tell him to ask his MasterGuns

loudbang, Frankie47 and els like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try looking at socalcarculture.com

9. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

I know it's off topic but street rods, traditionals, and low rider paint jobs not the cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

When is the next swap meet in Pomona?

loudbang likes this.
  11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Can't help with any info for car or Hot Rod stuff in California. But please pass on a THANK YOU from one Marine to another. Joe

12. He might also check out the Sacramento Autorama. I think it takes place either before or after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-14_7-57-52.png
    upload_2017-9-14_7-58-6.png 2017
    upload_2017-9-14_7-58-56.png
    Hello,

29 palms is pretty far away from the ocean, but, it will be a 300 mile round trip on a Sunday morning/afternoon. To make up for the long drive, the location and cars are pretty nice. The ocean is right nearby, as are the beaches. There are a ton of cool restaurants in and around the harbor, just below the cliff. Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern is really nice, just below and around the corner in the harbor. Also the Waterman’s Harbor Restaurant right on the water in the harbor…you can’t miss either one. A fast, funky, but good, Mexican food place is AURORA’S just across PCH near the car show.

The two ways are “drives” by So Cal standards. One is through Riverside to the Ortega Highway (74) from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano and the I-5 freeway to the harbor. It is the most scenic, but dangerous. Very curvy, blind spots, and leery driving by others, so, be careful. The other is standard So Cal freeway driving from Palm Springs, Riverside, through Orange County down to the harbor and the ocean.

Jnaki

One last way that is a little longer, but just as scenic and sometimes a smoother drive than both of the above:

29 palms to Riverside to Oceanside to Dana Point. The only slowdown might be the Riverside or the border checkpoint on the I-5 going to Dana Point. We have taken that drive from Desert Hot Springs back to Dana Point many times. It just seems like less traffic and easier to drive, although it does say an hour longer. We have skipped Riverside and have gone through Hemet for an easier “countryside drive” to Oceanside and the OC, several times, too. That was actually more enjoyable than going through Riverside. So, the choice is yours…
    upload_2017-9-14_8-2-26.png
    through Riverside and Oceanside
    upload_2017-9-14_8-3-34.png
    through Hemet and Oceanside

oldsjoe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

October 15th.

15. partssaloon

partssaloon

Head over to Lake Havasu City for Run to the Sun Oct. 20 &21, That's about 100 miles from 29 Palms and no traffic. Usually draws 800 - 1000 cars

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  16. We have several in the 29 Palms, Yucca Valley area each year, most of them are sponsored by the Morongo Basin Car Club I believe. During the cooler months, there are several bigger shows down in the Palm Springs, Coachella Valley area. There are generally numerous street rod type vehicles as well as a small contingent of low riders. There are always some very large shows that are farther away...