Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting my 57 Chevy 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philroy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Philroy

Philroy

Thank you everybody!!!

Kevin, I appreciate the commendation! I am pretty much the only one at school with a hot rod. One kid has a 69 Cougar that daddy war bucks bought him. Not only is it too new and the wrong brand, I don't think it's that cool because his dad bought it and it was finished when he got it. 2 other guys at school have 07 'stangs and think they are pretty hot stuff, although neither will bring their cars to the strip to run me. Planning to build a two lane blacktop 55 Chevy for me and my mom wants a Willys gasser really bad. So, she'll have one!!!

2. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

goals are what keep us going! go for it!

3. Philroy

Philroy

Thanks, brian55lvr.

Well, I finally managed to find my camera cards with all the pictures I've been promising. Some pictures of our cars lined up in the Holiday Inn parking lot at the 2013 HAMB Drags. Also, I could only find one of my 57 up on stage at the play and one of it at the lighted Christmas parade. The big red monstrosity pulling the float in the homecoming parade is our Truc-Tor. Hope yall enjoy!!!

Attached Files:

4. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Truc-tor that's different! 57' is looking good!

5. Bumping your thread here Philroy. Looks like school and girlfriend are taking up a load of your time!

6. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Did ya sell that ol Chevy for a prius yet?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Looks like we'll get an update from Philroy soon. Word on the street is he's got a full plate for a little while longer..

8. Philroy

Philroy

Hey Yall!! Im sorry I had no idea it had been over two years since I have been on here!!! Now a sophomore in college with acceptance in to graduate school for my Doctorate of Pharmacy next year, so school has been keeping me extremely busy. HOWEVER!!! I have been busting ass on my car the last few weeks to get my new engine in and running good. She's a 355 with a Scat crank, flat tops, fresh 2.02 camel humps (~10:1 compression) with a 510/510 lift camshaft and she has some THUMP!! Here are a few recent pictures. The pinstriping was done last year when I drove it to the HAMB Drags in Joplin. Built my motor up this winter and just put it in last weekend. So apparently, if just because you buy a harmonic balancer for a 350 chevy, that doesn't mean it will work... Put it on and come to find out, it was 3/8" too short and damn near wore a hole through my new timing chain cover (see picture). Replaced it with an old one off a junk motor and now she works! Hoping to get some time in the next few weeks to get my new motor dialed IMG_3943.jpg IMG_3942.jpg IMG_3851.jpg IMG_6643.jpg IMG_6065.jpg in and hoping to run it at the HAMB Drags this year!!!

9. Welcome back! The pinstripes look great.

10. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Phil! Glad to see you're still at it. I love your car. If I somehow took ownership of it I wouldn't change a thing, except....

Those manifolds are choking the $#!+ outta that thing. Wish you were closer, I have an extra pair of 1-5/8" hooker chassis headers For a tri5. They're yours free of charge if you're ever in CO ;)

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. Philroy

Philroy

Yikes! It's been well over a year since I was on here! Things have been going pretty good around the shop, and just starting year 4 of 6 of pharmacy school Hope it's worth it in the end! Lots of changes in the last year. Put power disc brakes with drilled and slotted rotors on it, and show it'll actually stop! Haha! Also, underdash air conditioning added this summer, and took it on a 2000 mile roadtrip to New Mexico and back home! August's highlight was the 2017 HAMB Drags, and I'll get pictures posted soon! Welp, my Pharmacology professor is starting to talk so I'd better sign off for now! I'll talk at y'all later! -Philroy

12. There's another young guy with a 4 door '57 on here. Ya started something.

benchseat4speed and Philroy like this.
  13. Willy_P

Willy_P

Hi Phil,
    We met at the 2012 H.A.M.B. drags and I believe you were having paint or upholstery done in Mexico, right?
    I finished my 57 and took it on the 2017 power tour, and we drove right past your place because I recognized your hybrid tractor/truck. I would have stopped if we had more time .

Here is mine at back to the 50's in St Paul this summer.
    Tell your dad hi, and keep after school, you are past the halfway mark

IMG_1505242498.002987.jpg

benchseat4speed likes this.
  14. Philroy

Philroy

Steve, Fantastic! That's always the goal! The little bro started a thread for his 56 Pontiac, but it never really took off. At a bare minimum, we've got his project going. Willy P, I remember talking with you! It's been a while! Haha! And yes, that was most definitely the Truc-tor! The power tour was awesome for us, getting to watch everyone go right by the shop! I'm pretty sure I seen your car, just didn't know who it was! Haha!

15. Philroy

Philroy

The first picture was last summer, when we went to the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA, which was the last venue Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valenzuela, & The Big Bopper played at before their plane crashed in an ice storm just outside of town. The next picture is the 350 I built from leftover parts for it last year when my old 327 finally wore out. The third pic is bith 57's (the old man's and mine) in the shop, getting worked on. Pardon the mess, it was winter. The last pic is the only time I've ever driven my car to my house at college. It decided to rain.

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed and chevy57dude like this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Love your 57 also recall seeing one almost identical to your dads in a old magazine I have somewhere.
    Was it ever in a mag?
    [​IMG]

17. Philroy

Philroy

Low Budget, I don't know if it was or not. Car was supposedly built in the late 60's. The lacquer paint and brown floral interior date it pretty well. Pops bought it in '97 off of a friend who bought it in northern Iowa in the 80's. Supposedly it was in the Des Moines area in 70/71.We would absolutely love to know the rest of the story if so. I'll add a couple more pics of it.

Attached Files:

chevy57dude likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dont think its it, Think this one was from California after reading but they sure do have similarities.
    upload_2017-9-12_18-12-0.jpeg
    [​IMG]

benchseat4speed likes this.
  19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

20. Philroy

Philroy

Low Budget, does that article have any more pictures of the car? It's so similar it's about got the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Pops too. When was that magazine from?

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hot Rod mag special edition I guess 1982,main focus on tri five chevys.
    Notice yours has custom quarters.

22. Philroy

Philroy

Yessir. Was able to better see that one did not have them in the pics. Also has back up lights, 4 link, and said the front axle was installed by a professional in the writeup. Definitely not our car... It was 1 1/2" out of alignment when we re-did it

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sorry It wasnt the same car but had to ask when I saw it.

24. Philroy

Philroy

Hey, we sure appreciate it!

low budget likes this.
  25. Philroy

Philroy

Most recent time has been spent working on my not-so-little brother's 56 Poncho. In the process of dropping a Ram Air IV 400 Pontiac and TH350 into it. Finished the plug wires last night and hoping to fire it this weekend. Went to our local drag strip Friday night with the yellow 57 and had a blast! The tunnel pic of my orange 57 was from a road trip last week, and the trailer pic was from this summer when we took her to the local track. It's a lot easier to rectify a deer hit on my truck... haha!

Attached Files:

chevy57dude likes this.