Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

You do and Gene does and that's all that matters. It meant the world to him. Great Job Quain, both with the Moonlighter and the Southeast Gassers.

2. catdad49

catdad49

Quain, if you read my post above it'll tell you that there's more than a few that know about the roots that you planted. Helping get the Moonlighter up and running again was one of the first steps in the process, the seed was put in place, given some love and is on the way to full growth. Don't kid yourself, there's plenty that remember. Keep on, Keeping on! Hope to see you again this year, Carp

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Carp, I know the ones that really matter still remember. Seeing him enjoy it is my reward.
    I noticed all of my pics of the rebuild got deleted on this thread because I had them stored in a free account. I need to try and find time to redo them.

4. Don't say that! So, we had a devastating weekend at Brainerd in the engine department. We were getting loaded up, while everyone else races, and feeling all sorry for ourselves when the little kids start coming by to check on us. No parents, just kids. About three bunches of them. Checking over the car while adding their encouraging words, two of them even gave us hugs and told us not to give up...it will be OK. We are reaching a new generation of fans. Sure the parents get them there, but the seed has been planted. These kids were more interested in gas than drugs!
    Keep up the good work Quain!

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Robert, hope you can get it fixed for Darlington SC September 23rd.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We had a good time Saturday thanks for putting on another great event

7. We'll be there.

Dog_Patch, 62hotcat, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Thanks for the explanation, Quain. The 60 was 1.122 compared to 1.299 on his previous run. He was running real lean and it was popping pretty bad. We didn't have another pill for it. The engine was idling real high and he said he couldn't hold it on the line.

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  9. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Here is a copy of Gene's qualifying and 2nd round time slips. He got a bye in the 1st round because
    his opponent broke. He gave me this copy and I had him sign it. The Southeast Gassers don't usually make the times and speeds public, but Quain said it would be ok to show Gene's this time to let y'all see what we are talking about. Thanks Quain.

Scan.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

The 5.88 is legit. The 5.82 run is bogus. The mph is way too slow for that run to be accurate. Besides, the other incremental times are way off a normal run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  11. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

All of y'all that can make it, come on out to the Darlington Dragway Saturday, September 23. Shirley Muldowney will be there in addition to all the Southeast Gassers. First round of qualifying begins at 12 noon.[/ATTACH] 21557722_1534157143333547_1354034486116918325_n.jpg 1174a4d0d09e93c078b755f4bbcd2a05.jpg

12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

13. Planning to get Gene and all the racers to sign my copy at the finals Nov 4th - Shady Side.

14. Quain,try this,I am now able to see the blocked photos now. HRP

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=ss

or

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...aon/related?hl=en-US&hotlinkfix=1509134784180

loudbang likes this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

loudbang likes this.
  16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

SPREAD THE WORD
    The Gene Cromer and the Moonlighter will be at Shady Side Dragway in Shelby NC November 4th racing the finals with the Southeast Gassers.

17. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I sure wish I could come, and I really wish I could race... I can't say enough for everyone treating me like we were old friends, great bunch of guys... J.W. Barber

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

We will be there to cheer for Gene.

loudbang, Quain Stott and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. You will need to install it where you can view the photo's,everyone needs to do this on their PC. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  20. I stopped by to visit with Gene yesterday and talked with Ruth a while and she told me Gene was in the garage.

I went to the shop and saw Gene working on what appeared to be a short cam of some sort but as I got closer I noticed there were 3 others on the work bench and knew he was cleaning up parts for a cammer engine.

I ask what was his plan and is he going to pull the current engine and install the cammer? he gave me that sneaky grin and said maybe.

He said he is still looking for a few parts that are missing and gave me a history lesson on the "90 day wonder"

I had not seen Gene in a couple of months and it was great to get caught back up with a man that was my childhood Hero and now more importantly is my friend. HRP

21. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Yeah, Gene is rounding up parts to build a cammer or two. He is finding parts that he didn't remember having and also can't find parts that he knows he has. He wants to get some more good runs on the tunnel port because he knows that thing makes some awesome power. It's gone 5.88, the quickest he has gone since the car was rebuilt. DSC06982.JPG DSC06988.JPG DSC06984.JPG

RustyDogg, enloe, rawcjw19 and 10 others like this.
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DUhhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhh.Gene is at it again.Looks like more fun to come.And surprises for the competition.Wishing Gene and family the best for a happy safe,healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  23. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The Moonlighter has run a cammer before. Moonlighterwithcammer_zps1c1ca86e.jpg

enloe, rawcjw19, BHoover and 9 others like this.
  24. elgringo71

elgringo71

Go Gene Go !! It's going to be exciting to see the Cammer come to life

kidcampbell71, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

Darn it, Danny! Now you let the cat outta the bag! It's sure good to know that Mr. Cromer is still doing what he loves to do, next season should be awesome. He is definitely a man worthy of praise, a hero to a lot of people, both young and old. SOHC it to em, baby!!

loudbang likes this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is awesome news. Wish I lived a little closer, my native Ohio would be close enough I reckon.

loudbang likes this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

He must be tired of seeing that other cammer run.

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Actually, Gene loves to see the Skairlane run and Jeff Jacobson is a good friend.

29. Go Mr. Cromer!!!

loudbang likes this.
  30. We have a lot of new members that might enjoy a reflection back on a epic story & how guys that love the old gassers came together and resurrected a long dormant piece of Local history as well as Gene Cromer & his family.HRP

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020