Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap Meet Setup Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, Jun 25, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been to Hershey in all types of weather and financial ups and downs, I'd rather just move what I bring to sell, you never know if that offer your turned down is what you need to cover what you find the next day. Cash is King. Bob

els likes this.
  2. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I have over 2,000 pcs of stainless trim....40's - early 60's...can not put price on everything.....CLEAN sells....I also have everything on inventory with a location number and prices....buyers won't stand around waiting for you to find something....but I do tell all my customers ''Its YOUR car, you need to know what side, front or back, top or bottom''....I have had more compliments about my stand and parts....and a note to buyers....you have a camera on your phone-TAKE A PIC OF WHAT YOU NEED.....

Attached Files:

els and jim snow like this.
  3. jim snow

jim snow

Always neat and orderly. Snowman

els likes this.
  4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Back to the attitude part: Just got home from a local estate sale. Up all day Thursday and then a 6pm-6am work shift last night. Went to the sale right from work and put my name on the list,#9. Rare I make the top 20 in line. Went home then back to wait my turn. Called my name, made a bee line to what I saw in the ad. Had a girl immediately say "OH you got those(Driver Ed Signs). Then say ,I cancelled a trip to buy those can you let me have them. No. and tried to make my way to others I had not spotted yet."Will you sell them to me"? I reply let me think a couple minutes and I will let you know. She kept following me and over and over Sell me those sell me those. Entered a room with the other signs I was there for and within two steps in she pushed me out of the way and just about dove on the floor and grabbed the signs leaning against a table. Let out a weird laugh like Beat ya.
    I quickly told her all deals are off now if you cant be a bit human.
    She did buy other related bumper stickers so she most likely is a driving teacher like she said. I stood guard near my pile of stuff at the check out table.Would not put it past her to claim it for hers and duck out. I wanted to say to her in front of the crowd, "I hope you are a better example to your students then you were here today"
    I am MORE than happy with my purchases today.Didnt score 100 but thats why you put your name on a list and wait your turn.Swapmeets are not as intense as what I call animals I have encountered over the years at estate sales, but a sense of etiquette should still be followed. Being a poor person just makes for a crappy experience.

Another thing:
    If someone picks something up,asks for a price, puts it down and then starts to walk away, I pick that up and say I,ll take it. Why am I being the jerk?? You get that stare of You just killed my dog at you.
    What do you do,wait till the guy is ten feet away,the next spot,??? This has happened a bunch of time to me and Ive seen it happen to others. You snooze,you lose. Today I think I didnt snooze and won.

els likes this.
  5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, that's just how the game works. There's plenty of times I've hovered discreetly in the background of a negotiation, hoping a guy will put a part down. As long as you keep your nose out of the deal and let it run its course, nobody should have a gripe.

I remember one time, I was preparting to leave a booth after buying a few parts. A guy picks up a mint brass-era horn I hadn't seen, and the vendor names a crazy-low price. But he's firm; shakes his head at two offers. The guy shows the horn to his wife, honks it a few times, and hems and haws. I'm just standing on the other side of the booth, watching out of the corner of my eye. While all this noodling is going on, the seller notices I'm still there, comes over and asks if there was something else I wanted. "Yeah," I said. "I'll take that horn if he doesn't buy it." Neither of us say another word. The guy finally puts the horn down and he and his wife start walking. "Looks like it's yours," the seller tells me. Then the guy turns around and reaches for the horn. The seller delightedly yells, "Sorry, it's SOLD!"

I don't know if it was indecision, or he was trying the "walk-away." But when something is a bargain, don't mess around.

els, weps, tetanusshot and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Years ago at Hershey when I was there with a sign collector friend, he spotted a Sand Sign,wood frame, I think oil related.Its the type from back in the 20s I think that used a sand-paint mix kind of thing. Anyway,its first light,one of the first stands with signs that was ready to go. A guy before us looks it over and asks for a price. Iam thinking like $750. The guy looks at it quick,Scruggs and leans it back down and starts walking. My buddy immediately steps right up and said,"I,ll take it". It was a good deal.
    For the rest of that field we must have passed that guy going the opposite way down the aisles about 20 times. Each time he gave us a look of You Bastards. My friend Bruce just smiled back. He still tells that story today.
    Theres a lot of lessons here. Buy it when you see it. Use some manners.Be prepared and know what you want and your subject manner.Ive been on both sides of this stuff over and over.After i get some sleep i am off to niagara falls to buy three more signs. I enjoy dealing with the seller. Everything is up front. He knows I am going to flip them and I know he also needs to make a buck. Very easy time. Fedco

els likes this.
  7. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I have been swap meet sellling off & on for many years. I always try to stay polite, & strike up a conversation with buyers. I have had guys get rude & offer low dollars. Sold some items for 3 times his offer & had him hang around telling me it wasn't worth that much. Had others talk some items down & walk away, the guy behind him had that amount in his hand for that item. I have had the opposite happen, shopper put something down after getting a price on it. I picked it up & paid that price. I have also sold things for give away prices as they had been to too many meets & I was tired of hauling them around. The three trip rule applies here.

els likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you want to see what works and what doesn't , hit The Sacramento (CA) Classic Car Parts Swap meet at Cal Expo, tomorrow, Saturday, September 9

els likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

While shopping most swap meets & flea markets it is easy to spot the ass hats. Guy had a trailer load of Model A & T parts all the prices were more than fair. Guy walks up and asked how much the running board tool box was. It was packed solid with car related items. Seller said $50.00 WITH the parts. ass hat starts dumping the contents all over the trailer, while pointing out minor flaws in the box. I stood there with a crisp fifty in my hand, seller asked what I was interested in, I never said. ass hat is still unloading the tool box, finally got it empty and offered the guy $10.00. No sale! I handed the seller my fifty and put everything back in the box thanked him and hope to see him again some day. Profit? Well I got $75.00 for the empty box and did ok with the stuff that was inside. Moral is if you know what stuff is worth just pay the vendor, say thank you, and move along. Bob

els, weps, jim snow and 1 other person like this.
  10. If the swap meet is a multiple day swap meet, I have found out that a lot of the buyers on the first day are just other vendors trying to scoop up deals and then resale at his spot for a profit. If you are just wanting to get rid of stuff like me then this doesn't matter. But if you are trying to raise some money then it might behoove you to pass the low offers the first day and hold out for shoppers that actually want to use the parts.

els, jim snow and Fredsgarage like this.
  11. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold a pair of 66 396 chevelle date coded manifolds...$50. Cuz I did not want to carry them. By noon 4 venders later they were $350..Super Chevy show in 80's Norwalk Ohio..

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els and Fredsgarage like this.
  12. Back in the early 70's I went to the Amherst, New Hampshire monthly flea market / swap meet. As I was wandering around, I saw 2 guys from the Boston area looking at the rear half of a 1932 ford roadster body, no floor, no deck lid. I watched them walk away. I approached the seller, and asked his price. He told me $ 100.00, I offered $ 75.00. He said the 2 guys before me offered that, so I paid his price, and asked if I could leave it in his space until I got my truck. The guys came back, and found out that I had bought it and they were pissed off, saying that I screwed them out of it. I said, you were here first, but you wouldn't step up. I traded the body rear half to Ray Gollahan, " Brookville Roasdster for $ 500.00 worth of sheet metal parts. That back half was one of 5 that Ray used to tool up his 1932 Roadster body.

els, GlassThamesDoug and The37Kid like this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's a new twist on Swap Meet antics... people who decline to buy something then complain when the next guy does buy it.

At a long ago swap meet I saw, then put down a hard to find tool. However when the guy next to me picked it up and bought it, I just thought to myself that I was dumb to not hang on to it while I had the chance. It didn't occur to me to get snippy with the guy who knew enough to buy a good tool when he saw it.

els and fourspeedwagon like this.
  14. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Set up my tables first. Usually a bunch of low baller's swarm over the truck. I tell them "Hey just put that box on the table and look thru it" All the "hey would you take $1 for a $100 item" ass hats unload the truck for me. Usually sell them nothing but use the time to set up the tent and chair. I may be lazy but not stupid. :D

els, Nostrebor, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Fedco, I'm going to "touch on your attitude" just a bit. Just started reading this thread and encountered you for the first time, and until I read your post #107 I was enjoying your comments. Now I'm not so sure about your "attitude". So I jumped over the rest of the posts to the end of the thread to take issue with your wisecrack
    You made a wisecrack about mobility scooters in response to a comment from Oilguy complaining about various vehicles in which he included "scooters" among the ones he complained about.
    Well, I'm going to be a straight forward as I think I can and stay on HAMB and not get banned for really saying what I think about you two jerks.
    In 2 months I'll be 80 years old, but I still enjoy hot rods, still do almost all the work on my 2 and still enjoy car shows and swap meets. But I have back and leg problems that give me a great deal of trouble when I stand or walk. So I started renting a mobility scooter at swap meets, and eventually bought my own, and it has restored my enjoyment of these events.
    In closing, I sincerely hope that I can survive long enough to see you 2 get old and struggle to get around and enjoy a hobby you've had all your life as I have. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt you up and laugh in your face while you struggle around.

els, olscrounger and pat59 like this.
  16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Now dont get me started on those electric mobile scooter things...But if you^^^^insist. How do you know how I feel about that subject???? after one sentence??? I have absolutely no problem with people that NEED them. I have had two back surgeries and a knee replacement and am due for the other knee. I am only 56. I hope they still let people use them if i last as long as you.

The point: Its the jerks that just think its more Convenient to go for a joy ride on a huge golf cart or scooter, and its usually those guys that stop and chat,sit in front of a setup for what seems an hour ,clog up the aisle two wide,and have the Attitudes. They dont follow the rules of having some kind of beer can or something else dragging on the ground to alert others that dont see them right away.And they go too fast.they think they have some kind of right away.My gripe is about the jerks that abuse the system. NOT guys like you that are simply trying to enjoy themselves for as long as possible. Happy?

My comment also had nothing to do what some other member said .I just added it after talking about something. I actually had to go back and find what was said by Oilguy and i dont even remember reading that at all.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    els, weps, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did that at a NHRR bowling green show......Guy was unloading....when people start jumping on them before they are set up. Guy lays out a RONCO MAG SBC, with WIRES Guy asks how much $125....Guy offers $75.. Seller no...$125....its works, worth $300. I say...I will give you $125 cash....Grabbed it and put it in my truck. Same deal...low ball ...you cheated me.. I Said for $200 I will un cheat you. Perfect Mag....Bronze gear, Tach Drive. and Slip collar and excellent wires...the good one. Traded it years later for $500 . If you low ball....your taking risk, and you can lose....that's the game.

els and pat59 like this.
  18. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

The last time I set up at the KYANA Swap Meet in Louisville, Ky., I didn't have any parts marked, but had a list in my truck. As I pulled up in front of my space, I had 4 guys start pulling things out of my pickup bed, and asking what I wanted for this & that. It pissed me off that they just helped themselves to my parts, but I realized they were in a way helping me unload my stuff. As they saw other items they would pull it out and ask the price on that. They were hitting me with questions so quick, I didn't have time to react. I ended up selling stuff $20-$40 cheaper than I wanted for it, because I didn't have time to even get my list. If I had set up the following year, I definitely would have had a price on each item.

els likes this.
  19. I've had a lot of fun at swap meets over the years. Hopefully I'll be able to start going to the Portland meet again- always seem to be big things happening at work..
    This summer at a little local meet my kids decided to take their piggy bank funds and look for some of the crap that vendors bring. They bought something across the aisle from where I was talking to a guy about an Optima 6 volt battery he was selling (asking $75). Boys ran over to show off the toy they got and the guy said "did you haggle with him? You kids need to learn to never pay asking price at a swap meet!"
    They of course had paid full price..
    I said "well, following your advise- will you take $60 for this battery?"
    If you've bought one you know that 75 was quite reasonable but he talked himself into a corner. Smiles and said "I guess I better huh"

Thinking back to when I was 17 or 18 I was in need of some trim (that too but I'm talking about chrome trim here) for a 55 belair that I'd bought. I walked into the swap meet and the first booth had a wooden box with all the pieces I needed and reasonable price. I bought it all and my Dad looked at me in disbelief. "I'm gonna tell you right now boy, That is not how swap meets usually go." Five minutes and I had everything I needed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Piledrivin'Joe, els and Budget36 like this.
  20. I went to a swap meet yesterday and after reading this thread, I say-
    I must have seen 100+ sites that only sold jam, knitted baby clothes, + kids DVD's.
    No-one I know buys this stuff.
    At least I can walk past them quickly, but when there is a whole row like this, you feel like heading for home a lot quicker.

els likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, but were all the items priced, that is what HAMB members (not me) need to know. Bob

MRTS33 and els like this.
  22. Oilguy

Oilguy

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap meets are awesome social events...they give everyone a reason to get out and wslk.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

My wife and kids and now the grandkids like to mind the store and people watch, not as good as the Walmart ones you get in emails but intertying none the less. Bob

els likes this.
  25. I remember when swap meets had some nice young women wandering around with their significant other. My eyes enjoyed that. Now it seems like everyone is old and fat like me. I guess its the same crowd over the years still doing the swaps.

els likes this.
  26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I remember the mud days at Hershey when all the high class girls walked around with open toe shoes and had mud up to the ankles.

els likes this.
  27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, fedco & 56don;

Too bad you don't have some nice clear pics of the "proper" female Hershey swap meet attire. It'd be amusing to blow up the pics, & use them as eye-candy behind you & the tables to attract attention. & maybe you could convince some cute young things to comply... :D . Although you might need to offer proper attire (for sale - how very thoughtful of you!) to actually see the results... :D . Hmmmm, I think there is another table or two of cash-generating materials. :D .
    Marcus...

els, uncle buck and 56don like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a time at Hershey when some of the major vendors would bring back one of the dancers from a local club to sell parts.

Bob

els and 56don like this.
  29. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish people would talk more at swap meets. It is so hard to get someone to give you the history of a car or parts.........:D......."Evidently it spent some time on the west coast, and somehow made it to Wisconsin"........it does not have the "Wisconsin Style of Rust"..........waa.........."its a beautiful canvas to start as a project".....:cool:...I love swap meets and car shows...... lots of fun and good people to be had. Highlight of my Summer. More ATM's at some would help sales too.........

els likes this.
  30. Jugornot

Jugornot

Been in the South (MS) all my life, other than time spent working for Uncle Sam, and I've never seen a swap meet. We have Flea Markets and Yard Sales, but nothing like what you guys are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.