Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy spindle question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluebrian, Feb 23, 2006.

1. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

We have been pondering around the shop and are wondering if you can flip the spindles on a 49-54 chevy to lower the front. It looks as though its possible. You would have to build new steering brackets but thats about it. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Surely someone else has thought the same thing. Just thought it might be an alternative to buying dropped spindles.

thanks

-b

2. newstranger

newstranger

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well, dropped spindles are BANK!!! Any and all alternatives to shelling out that much bread would be killer. A trust-fund baby I am not...

3. squirrel

squirrel

this is the only approved method to lower those cars

4. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

You cant flip chevys, only fords I think. If you actually did flip them you would have some knarly ass camber issues goin on.The angle is all wrong. Cut the coils If you want it low

5. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

what if you flip them and swap sides. It appears as though that would solve the camber problem.

We thought of most of the problems and solutions to them, but havent seen it done and were trying to find out if anyhting had been overlooked.

-b

6. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anybody done this yet?

7. I tried it years ago Beside the camber problem it put the frame about an Inch off the ground with no suspension travel....If i remember right it was probably 10 years ago.

8. what if you flipped the spindles and are on bags? im lookin for the lots of camber look when dropped but not while at ride height.

9. crossthread

crossthread

I know I'm new here but in reference to the 49 54 chevrolet spindles ,I am in
    the process of cutting the spindle hubs off the upright and welding them three back on inchs higher. I didn't think of this on my own I'm robbing the
    idea from an outfit that does old plymouths and dodges

10. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Let us know how that goes!

11. I've got a '54 with 2" dropped uprights and 3" dropped coils. I am not a rich man by any means, but I saved up the scratch and went the aftermarket route. Crossthread, you can do what you want, but I wouldn't like the thoughts of rolling around on welded spindles. I don't mean to question your welding ability, but don't risk personal safety to save a buck. Just my $.02

12. go ahead and flip it and swap the spindles left for right,check it out- that's true rodding..Mikey

13. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thats actually what I may do...

14. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Is this a stock application you're messing with, or do you have those spindles on a solid front axle.
    As far as flipping them, or switching them, I wouldn't recomend that. Like the others said the angle's would be way off.
    I'm hesitant to admit or talk about this in fear that if done incorrectly... You put yourself in danger which is one thing, but you also put the lives of other motorists on the roads in your hands if something goes wrong.
    The cheap way to lower the 49-54 chevys besides heating or cutting the springs is altering your control arms and or steering knuckles. I've done this, and achieved a 4 to 6 inch drop with maintaining almost full suspension travel, and no adverse affects, as of yet... You need a REALLY good welding machine, as well as a skilled welder to get some deep penetration. Take your time in "V'ing" out all of the weld spots, and slowly control the metal cooling.
    DON'T mess with the spindle itself, thats scary shit! Mess with the Knuckle or the control arms, and make sure all of your steering geometry stays the same way it was. I could elaborate on specific methods that worked for me, but I'd rather not. Hot rodders in the 50's were using this technique back then, research the old mags and you'll see it.

15. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I am not exactly sure what you are referring to, and I understand why you would not want to make an unsafe condition.

I was thinking of modifiing the arm to better clear the x member, thats where it hits first.

for what its worth. My car was 13 inches off the grount in the front when I got it, now its 5. So I was able to lower it 7 inches with bags. Its that last 5 inches I am looking at now.....

16. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

Aftermarked spindle uprights like Fat Man are welded together also. I have heard stories about them failing once in a while. I would think that a modified set of stock uprights can be just as safe if they are welded by an expert ,with the right filler material, shot peaned and heat treated afterwards.
    Not a job for the novice
    -Thomas