Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windows & rooftop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thelab123, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

I am thinking about buying a open air 1949 custom mercury convertible. Can side window and convertible roof be put on vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There is a 49 or 50 Mercury convertible running around in Lively, VA, just the center or the top section of the roof opens up. The door frames and tops of the side glass look like normal sedan. Never seen the top off or in the down position. Much like the early Nash convertible's. I am not sure but I think that the Mercury is a four door.

3. You could find all the convertible top pieces for it, if nothing else they could be sourced from a Continental. Or you could carson top it and run hard top type of glass, you would need to look at later hard top cars to figure that out. Or you could go full on roadster and make side curtains for it as well.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Was it a convertible to start with, and now the top frame is missing, or was it a coupe or sedan with the roof cut off? Second one seems more likely.

First things, before I'd consider any beheaded former coupe or sedan, I'd want to see what was done to reinforce the body. These cars are known for having wasted inner rockers and other underside rust issues, if they just cut the roof off, you're in for a shitload of work.

If it was a convertible originally, it shouldn't be too hard to make a Carson style lift off top and make the side windows functional again, but if it was a sedan or coupe, the original window mechanisms and door vent wings aren't really going to work without the door frames in place. Were the door tops capped? Lots of questions here.

If you post some clean pictures of the car, especially showing the rear top section and the tops of the doors, it will be a lot easier to say.

No matter what though, it's not going to be easy or cheap. Just to find a Mercury convertible top frame could take years and thousands of dollars. Not a whole lot of those getting cut up for parts.

lurker mick likes this.

5. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

7. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

Before I attempt to buy this I just wanted to know about outing windows and convert top. Not interested in a roadster with no window or top.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Making a top for it wouldn't be impossible, but making the side windows functional would be extremely hard. You'd have to find some vent wing windows from a convertible or hardtop of the same period and adapt them to your front doors, along with some ht/cvt window frames and regulators (sedan ones aren't going to work, they need a frame around the glass) and you'd have to damn near design the rear quarter ones from scratch, Merc coupe quarter windows popped out in a vent wing design and never rolled down.

I love Mercs, and I like a metalwork project, but it would be an insane fucking ton of work to give this car a top with functional side windows. Like 500 labor hours. It'd be easier to weld a top and door frames back onto the car. I hate to say it, but the car is kinda ruined as-is. I bet it was a top chop job gone wrong, and that's a shame.

Dash is nice though.

9. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

Just spoke to the owner and he has the side windows and the wing glass just hadn't had the chance to put them on. He said the only thing I will need to do is fabricate a convertible roof or Carson top

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

It's the same old story, what's your skill level, pocketbook and desire for this car? It could be very nice with enough skilled effort!

11. He said that did he? That is not surprising.

Mmm, well, by the questions you are asking, I get the impression you are temped to buy something because it's cheap and you have nowhere near the skills or experience or possibly the money to make this hack job into anything good.

Don't be tempted by cheapness or seller spin.

12. I don't see a place to put a rear side window, unless you are a glutton for punishment, run!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Squablow

Squablow

I think the seller is way underestimating the amount of work it would take in the hopes you'll buy it from him. The reality is it would be extremely challenging to do for someone without experience.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hawksrod likes this.
  14. Thelab123

Thelab123
    from New York

Well I am going to go down there with my mechanic and he will make an assessment for me. He makes a habit of not giving any assessments until he sees it in person but be shares your skepticism.

15. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Looks like more work than I'm thinking you realize. And personally I don't think a "mechanic" is the correct person to make an assessment on level of work needed on a classic/Hotrod/Kustom.
    I've done quite a bit of fabrication work, and wouldn't even consider this project.
    That's just my .02 for whatever it's worth.

16. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Whatever came of this? What ended up being your decision?

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks as is if it would be an extremely expensive proposition at best. Finding the convertible parts you'd need would be a challenge. A Carson top to me is Fugly. If it were me I'd pass on this project. It s always easy for others to spend your time and money.

Gary