Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanted: Wild Pontiac intake setup ideas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by injectedA, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm pissing off a LOT of mopar guys with the 400 in my '40 Plymouth, but it's not their car, so fuck em...and I've been hooked on Pontiac rearends for a few years now, at one point I had 7 of them...I'm down to 3 as of this week...

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The one thing that you have to consider is the SBC heads are offset on the block opposite that of a Pontiac. The SBC and Pontiac head port configurations are very similar for sure, but unfortunately the heads are in the 'wrong' place.

The SBC has the driver's side head offset towards the front, the Pontiac driver's side head is offset towards the rear. On a Pontiac the #2 cylinder on the passenger side is closest to the front of the engine, on a Chevy the #1 cylinder is up front.

Try matching up a BBC intake to a Pontiac. With the BBC intake ports being paired-up and offset they way they are on the heads it makes them come very close to matching up location-wise with the Pontiac head ports.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Hey Jeff...for a wild and crazy look, bolt a pair of these offset pieces on top of your blower. Yeow!

Attached Files:

Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

That looks pretty wicked, question though, what are they, and where did you get them? and will they fit any 2-4 intake?

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

Rocky, that makes my boy parts tingle...I want to hang a poster of that pic above my bed next to my Cindy Crawford poster...hehehe

6. Bill....you GOTTA get that wagon on the road. I love that thing and it's makin me as crazy as you not being road-worthy yet. It's gonna knock 'em dead.
    Here's my weak attempts at having cool Poncho intakes.

Attached Files:

fordflambe and Deuces like this.
  7. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Hubba-hubba! That X2 would really look sexy on MY wagon!

Why couldn't you use the carbs as throttle bodies & plumb the manifold for injectors? Wouldn't that be easier than machining adapters?
    I got a buddy that makes his own Fi intakes using 4bbl single plane menifolds & he has been eyeing my Weber set up as a candidate for this kind of conversion.

8. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Yes, I had thought of the offset difference. I think the main advantage of the original idea with the injected intake, is that the left and right banks could be sawn or seperated to allow each bank to be independent of the other, and bolt individually to each head. By design, an injected intake would allow this because it doesn't have a plenum to have to be concerned with if you cut the stacks apart down the middle of the intake(much like the log style). The down side is of course having to sacrifice an good intake to do this. But ending up with an "injected" intake for a Poncho, if done right would be the plus side....

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

It's only an sbc intake, I wouldn't go so far as calling it "good"...hahaha, it'll put to much better use on a Pontiac...if you do it right and clean/sandblast all the edges of the intake parts and adapters they could look professional instead of cut up sbc parts and machined adapters...

10. injectedA

injectedA

almost Rocky. We put the truck in front of it tonight with a tire and set the timing. HELL YEAH!!! purrrrrrrrrrrrrs all grumbly like. Rear brake lines and shocks go in tomorrow. I’ll send you the first youtube burnout…seems the thing to do :)

11. hey that 70 goat belongs to a friend of mine, lol.....or it least it did until a few days ago......
    injected....I think those efi adapters would be a marketable item, and alot of us poncho faithful would grateful!
    silent.....those adapters I have seen on ePay the last set the guy called them M/T spiders, that set sold for around $500, I got out bid at half that early in the bidding wars, lol. Theres a guy from Fredrick MD with a set on an sbc T-Bucket, looks wild coming at ya!!!!
    but my vote also would go for the 6 duece set up!

12. My '63 Tempest...Wenzler Tunnel...

Attached Files:

fordflambe and Deuces like this.
  13. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

could alwaz make one...
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

fordflambe and Elcohaulic like this.
  14. moparjack44

moparjack44

Best picture I can find right now. This Merc belongs to my buddy, and he is running 6 Strombergs on a 455 Poncho. He ran same intake and carbs for 20 years on a 389. When he changed to the 455, he modified the intake.
    Jackie

[​IMG]

fordflambe, Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. Railrodder

Railrodder

16. Railrodder

Railrodder

Hey injected...im the proud owner/builder of a 27 Chevy rat rod pickup with the running gear out of a 79 firebird...400..turbo400..10bolt..3.73 posi...heres the 6x2 intake..Offy #3946...ive run it with just the 2 center carbs...and progressive with all...im about ready for a change in my setup...more like a blower..whats a decent price for the intake,carbs and all?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  17. moparjack44

moparjack44

A friend of mine has been running 6 97's on his Pontiac engine for at least 30 years. First was a 329 bored to 421. About 10 years ago he moved to a 455, running same intake and still the 97's. He runs on the middle 2, and has been bullett proof (except for the natural 97's leak). There are several pictures of engine and car on the web, but I can't actually provide pictures. The car is a 49 Merc a real bright green, WWW and real spoke wheels.

18. fordflambe

fordflambe

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  19. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Please contact me if anyone wants to sell a 6x2 or 4x2 Pontiac Intake. Thank you!

Elcohaulic likes this.
  20. pmdguy

pmdguy

Here's a shot of my Warrior tunnel ram, it's a reproduction of the Doug Nash magnesium intake from back in the day. More nostalgic looking that the Wenzler tunnel ram. 20170820_122212.jpg