Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bead Rolling help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NB141FD, Sep 9, 2017.

1. NB141FD

NB141FD

Need some help determining if I can roll the bead that runs along both sides of the trunk from the tulip panel to the bottom of the deck panel on a 1930 5 window coupe. It is the upper bead shown here:
    [​IMG] Mine has several areas that are damaged and I would like to repair them with 2-3" patch pieces. If anyone has done this, can you tell me what bead roller dies you used? I a have basic woodward fab bead roller and a shrinker/stretcher set-up. It looks like it would take some type of round-over bead for the body side edge but I'm not positive. The picture above is from Flop and I hope he doesn't mind me using it to show the area of concern. Any help is welcome.

TIA, Tony

Bpicchi likes this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'30-'31 coupes and roadsters have different width beadwork down the trunk edge... case it helps...

3. NB141FD

NB141FD

Thanks Sloppy, I was more concerned with the die I would need to do the round-over part of the bead. I thought if there is a die that forms the round-over portion than I could make it as wide as needed regardless of the bead width needed. I could also form the semi-circle portion that is located on the horizontal panel above the trunk below the rear window.

Wooster likes this.
  4. Flop

Flop

how much do ya need ? i have the dies for it on my pullmax ...

5. NB141FD

NB141FD

Hi Flop, actually I need quite a bit and in several areas of the car. Also, the widths vary and that is why I was hoping to make them on my econo bead roller, both because I need them and also because I wanted to learn to do as much work myself as possible. I've used info I've gleaned from you to patch both my B pillars and firewall and for that I thank you.

Tony

bct likes this.
  6. IronTrap

IronTrap

A modified step/offset die combination can make it. If the step is a hair too sharp after rolled I kiss the step with a DA to soften the edge. Get some scrap metal and start playing with different offsets and combos of the dies. The Eastwood "forming die" kit fits most base model mechanical bead rollers and has basically all you need.

62x likes this.
  7. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Test with different die combination, you be surprised what can be done even by just off setting the die to soften sharp edges ,you may have to do it in stages instead of one time pass

8. simpsonrl likes this.
  9. NB141FD

NB141FD

Thanks guys, I'll begin by experimenting with my step dies.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hard to tell in the picture but it looks like a tank roll die set will do the trick.

11. NB141FD

NB141FD

Thanks Saldflats, I'll look into tank roll dies. Part of the problem and the reason I can't use a round bead die is because the width changes from about 1 1/4" wide at the top of the trunk to less than 1" at the bottom of the quarter panel.

12. Flop

Flop

Roll the bead break the edge shrink . And it's not a tank roll die .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. NB141FD

NB141FD

Thanks Flop, is it a step die or round-over?