Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you prefer a steel 31 coupe or a glass 32 five window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Prob be a short debate

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So we can only comment if we have either an A or a 32?

I'm covered.

BTW, I didn't criticize anything, I just happen to prefer the Model A vs the 32, glass or steel. My eyes prefer the body lines of the A. Prior to this thread I thought I was about the only one, it was a nice surprise to see so many others that feel the same way.

There's no right or wrong about it, just subjective opinion; and that isn't etched in stone either, it is subject to be changed over time.

5window likes this.
  3. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Nope open forum, simply saying it prob be a short debate on what Bette guys would prefer,.

For you not liking the car blue one here's what I say to you. It's my wife's car, she has just as much enthusiasm for hot rods as all of us, since we have owned classic cars she has never missed a show. I don't know your story but I'm assuming if your married your probably like everybody else that has a wife that doesn't participate .

So when my wife says she wants a 32glass coupe with a LT1 and 450 horses painted viper blue topped with rubber band tires I said ok.

She likes it , my life is easier because she wanted it.

Like the car or not, I don't care. Besides if we ever attend the same show together I know you will be looking at her and her car especially if there together.

robracer1 likes this.
  4. Well kit car sounds like something I may have said or would say. Probably in context as to how much work most of them are to smooth out. There is one thing that most of the cars we build miss the mark by a mile and your body lines comment brings it to mind. most of the cars that we oooooo and aaaaaah over have perfect door gaps and body lines worked to perfection, the fit and finish on a genuine Henry is poor and when we were young hot rodders and even those older rodders before us didn't make them perfect. The absolute best way to make people wonder if it is an original or a repop is to make it perfect. At least if you are around a traditional rod event.

All that said and just to stir the pot a little bit a while back someone directed me to a thread where everyone was just going ga, ga over a lakes modified. Maybe some of the purists will remember it, and it should be pointed out that it was a Zipper. Very well executed, some exceptional traditional styling cues and parts, but a Zipper none the less. :D

@mediumriser
    I would be remiss if I didn't point this out but from what little of it I can see your car is beautiful.

chryslerfan55 and mediumriser like this.
  5. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

I would enjoy the process of building the steel cars more than the glass. But I wouldn't be as concerned about damaging a glass car, so I would probably drive it more. They aren't making anymore original Models A's, but fiberglass replicas are being produced on a daily basis.

6. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I'll let the pic show my vote cuz a glass 32 is just a wannabe. This is Henry's steel. 20170806_095336.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

When's it going to be finished ? Looks cool so far

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Here's my All Henry UNCUT '32....and you can park your Glass'32 or your Steel Model A beside me anytime you want......It's the Fellowship of Cars that matters.....I refuse to let real, glass, steel, kit or any other term separate or hinder me meeting another Car Lover....Million dollar car or homebuilt......it's about the Love of Cars.....Lets Get Over Yourselves and our Bias Opinions.....It's about the Cars....... 32 FORD.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Well said , I totally agree. lovely car.

robracer1 likes this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

Well said THANK YOU, you should run for president of the USA

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. j3harleys

j3harleys

I prefer what ever my wife tells me to and she likes 32 Fords.

12. Never take that job, only because you're not allowed to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TANNERGANG and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Or even be honest. :rolleyes:

I have a friend that today is probably too old and given the life that he chose would probably no longer qualify to run for president. I have known him since I was about 3 or 4 years old so I can honestly say that I have pretty much known him all my life. Someone once suggested that he should run for president and I do not doubt that he would be a contender if he ran. He asked me what I thought and I said, "Well I respect you today." He smiled and said, "Nuff said."

I think that if I had to choose for myself between a glass '32 and an A coupe it would be a very hard choice. I guess I would have to base it on a couple of things, one is that I have already owned an A coupe and as much as I like them I have already owned one, and never really owned a Deuce ( did actually have one in my possession for about a day once and sold it so I won't count that). Next the number of windows would come into play, I love a 5 window, a 3 window would do I suppose but I really love a 5 window. Of course the quality of both bodies would be important and last would be resources, how much is there and how much I can readily lay my hands on as well as liquid assets.

All that said I have owned an A coupe and never owned a Deuce and glass or steel would never even be part of the equation, it is a non issue to me.

All seriousness aside, I retain the right to harass anyone out there with a glass car. Sorry its just my nature, I may even harass you if its steel. :D

chryslerfan55 and TANNERGANG like this.
  14. I could care less what others think. I've had 3 vettes a 32 roadster & a 34 roadster all glass. I've also had 57 bird, 34 5 window, 3 mid 60s buick hardtops,56 ford truck & 3 of the first years cougars everyone metal. This is within the last 30 years I'm not count the one in my youth. Like what was said in a previous post it is all about the comraderies for me.
    Pics below are mine ,one is glass one is steel. So what. 34 ford coupe.JPG 1934 ourside fireside coffee 2017 - Copy.jpg

chryslerfan55 and mediumriser like this.
  15. Cool cars man

I gotta ask; in your profile pic, is that a taxidermied squirrel? If not, how did that squirrel come to bond with you like that? Every time I come across your posts, I gotta zoom in and check him out again. Can't figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. tomcat11

tomcat11

Steel 31. Glass does not have the nostalgic feel or genuine look when you get up close.

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. sent ya message

chryslerfan55 and clunker like this.
  18. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

I make my living eradicating rust
    just can't stand itchy dust
    since I'll never buy a finished rod
    looks like steel gets the nod

EDIT: Translation- Got nothing against fiberglass just don't like working with it.

19. Avgas

Avgas

I'll go the Improved A! There red hot done right on a deuce frame!

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

real steel wins it for me

21. JimSibley

JimSibley

The funny thing is so many real steel cars are so covered with bondo that they are really just a glass car with a rusty pair of underwear. With that said, I am very much a real steel guy and think fiberglass is for boats, vettes and race cars. This is only true for my own cars. I love to look at what other people have built and admire them
    All, weather glass or metal or bondo.

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  22. That's a good looking street rod ya got there

"If it ain't broke - fix it till it is"

Blues4U likes this.
  23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I like steel!! but if your giving the glass 32s away I'll take it!!

25. Real steel for me, please!

26. <------- Now i just gotta get 'er done. :)

27. After thinking more about this I really think it depends on the build/finished car. I have seen steel cars that are butt ugly to me and glass cars that have been finished nicely. That goes both ways! Ok, back to work everyone!:rolleyes:

robracer1 and j3harleys like this.
  28. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked this morning, ain't that enough ? Ed.

29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

First, it would have to be a '32 5 window, no model A can stand up to them in my eye. The 32 has a better look to me, plain and simple. Don't care if it's steel or plastic, it's the shape I love, not the material it's made of.

Second, I'm not made of money. I can but a complete rolling chassis built to my spec AND a glass body with the flip out windshield, opening cowl vent, roll down back window rain gutters and all the latches, knobs, etc. for less than the cost of a nice steel body. Financially it's a no brainer to me.

I will build it to drive and enjoy, I don't give a rats ass what resale is on it (let the estate sale decide that). I will build it to my preferences, the look I like, not the look somebody else likes. Hell, I've spent good money to put 'glass body parts on OT steel cars for weight reduction. Fiberglass is not the crap it was years ago.

I'm in the process of purchasing a rolling chassis and body right now. It will be a '32. I've been doing a lot of shopping. There are still crappy bodies out there, don't buy them. I saw a steel one yesterday on a stock rolling chassis for $20,000 that had every available patch panel on it and a few home made ones (and still needed more). It was worse than about any glass body I have looked at considering the price and amount of work still needed. I'm sure it's perfect for somebody and they will be excited to get it, I would rather have a glass body and complete rolling chassis than that patchwork quilt for the same money. Actually that steel body would need a lot more work to get to the quality of the glass body I am looking at. It's real Henry steel, it's not realistic to save it, cost wise, to me. Othere would jump at the chance.

In July I stood behind a gentleman at a Good Guys show looking at a new steel body and heard him proclaim "it's Chinese steel so it's still not real Henry steel and it don't count". So now, the question has to be steel, Henry steel or fiberglass. There is a whole new level of snobbery out there.

You have to do what your heart, head and pocket can support.
    SPark

30. It's about time somebody posted this! HRP

[​IMG]

Montana1, wicarnut, ClarkH and 5 others like this.