Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 LaSalle old school convertible coupe build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by F&J, Jul 10, 2017.

1. F&J

F&J

oh dear...I open the shop pass door, heading to open the side bay doors, 2 chipmunks run right in next to me, almost hitting me, they are heading to the back of the shop...I go out to take a leak, 80 year old Gene is in the shop saying my name...he needs help with the carb on his generator in case the hurricane comes up...then LaSalle Jim pulls in, armed with stethoscope, wires, etc to test the cord...just a normal freakin day starting... lol

brad2v, catdad49, biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  2. F&J

F&J

update, Cord moved for the first time, Jim was driving, I am tuckered out. And Gene, 80, and Brertie 77 were here as we fired it, figured out the gears, then that thing roared as Jim throttled up to keep backing out...Also a pic of it sitting outside, headlights and windshields open to show US and you all that they work.
    100_0903.JPG

100_0904.JPG

Bob jr is here...working on Genes generator! Bob ran a power equipment rental place and guess what??/ I told Gene that bob is overdue and might show up!!! There are NO coincidences
    100_0905.JPG

brad2v, biggeorge, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

I am just too spent, physically and you know what the other is... I cannot make a decent post on the Cord issues it has, does NOT have, AND the most exciting thing about that car's modified shifting system!

I always wondered; in that each day gets more fun or exciting, would it ever be too much... today added to the mix, > the whole picture of many wonderful lives coming together on one piece of the earth.. Maybe by morning, I can tell ...with cool pics...about the most impressive fab job I have ever seen on an old car... I was blown away by each piece as it was uncovered by Jim today... Whomever created this was so far beyond what I could ever imagine! No kidding...as I am a fab guy, and I like creating linkages and whatnot, as well as I do like to study transmission history, like what car brand did what first as far as types of transmissions! Ray will be shocked I am sure.

Hint: how to shift FIVE gears with TWO rods!!!

by the way, I had no idea Jim was coming on this day, I told him straight up, that I was too tired to take charge, so he called the shots ALL day...I fetched tools and fasteners that he asked if I had...Well, of course Jim, you know I never need to go order or go to the stores to get a barn find "figured out".. It is all here? someplace :)

biggeorge and cactus1 like this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Hey, I had enough "zip" left to find Leno's Cord video...somewhere in there should be him explaining and shifting that car's original transmission controls;

but! I missed something the first time I watched it, If this IS even the right one?...go to 30 seconds into it...he says he is in the Duesenberg Room, "all are Duesenbergs", but look at the car behind him...that modified one has 1934-only CAD/LaSalle bumpers!!! I need to find out MORE on what that car is, who did it..etc..but not tonight!

biggeorge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

biggeorge, kidcampbell71 and F&J like this.
  6. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

7. F&J

F&J

I tried to tell the guys on AACA, and maybe here too, that the 34 LaSalle IS the best LaSalle ever built...but few will ever know that... but I sure do after working on the 3 from the estate, and now having a 35 that I tore apart and looked at EACH piece. The 35/36 is simply a cheapened-down version of the 34 design masterpiece...someday, Jimmy, if you get deep into my 34 Conv resto observations, you too, will "get it". No smiley face there!

Ok, yesterday is already a blur...after Jim left, Bob jumped on the generator as he LOVEs to do that stuff as he now drives a delivery truck just to have something to do...he always wanted to be a truck driver...I never knew he took tractor trailer schooling years ago and is licensed to drive anything with wheels! So, he figured it all out, I was just fetching tools and looking for spare carb parts, that shit tired me out with constant running, like when Jim was on the Cord issues. After everyone was gone for the day I figured, I went to have my GD coffee on my porch..NOPE, phone rings, it is Pete saying he will be leaving his place in 10 minutes to pick up his wifes Bug..so, I decided since my coffee break is cut short, call Gene to tell him the generator is all set....Well, Gene and Bertie came over quickly but Pete's kid drops him off before I had a chance to explain what Bob fixed...Now, all of us are BS'ng!!

The Cord transmission is...wait for it... a SELECTOR transmission, like many USA cars went to in the 40s through 50s, especially GM, but other brands too, even Kevins 48 international! Might be GM into the later 30s, ..

A selector trans for those not up on such things; one lever does what a floor shifter does, when you are in neutral, but move the stick right of left, to "select" the gate of which two gears you want. So, on a 3 speed floor shifter for example; if you pull the stick left, you are in the 1-R gate, go right, and you have selected the 2-3 gate.

This is the basic thing/concept I totally missed, or never had time to realize about how the Cord transmission could be shifted to FIVE gears with two rods! Check this pic out..F;n amazing,... that the fab guy simply duplicate the 5 legged, slotted gate thing from a piece of flat thick metal! It duplicates the slotted thing on the original Cord hand shifter that is long gone. I have no time to find a pic of that mini-shifter on a 36-37 cord.
    100_0901.JPG
    ^^^^^ Ok, Jim is the one who decided to take the front apron off, but NOT because we were trying to understand which lever position is what on the column. It was my mistake when putting the left head back on! There is a lever bellcrank that Ron disconnected to get the head off, and I had to force that lever thing downwards past the deck of the block to get the head back on. We found out quickly that we simply could not get that lever pried back up to put the pivot bolt back in it. Jim then decided to pull that big front panel off to unhook the one rod up front to maybe solve that issue. Bam, there are the hidden shift linkages! and it was like Kids under a Christmas tree looking at how/ WTF, we are seeing!! The gate thing!!! Holy moley! it's a frraking selector!! One rod selects the gates!! Geez, it was like a bitch slap to me! Jim had to pull off the front bumper to get that big panel off, but we needed it back on to hold one of the two batteries to drive it outdoors.
    100_0900.JPG

^^^^ another pic to help see how two rods do it all!! Jim, you need to take over here, to explain what you found while inside the car at the shifter, while I was up front, telling you where the shifter was in each slot, as we ran the starter a tick in each position...trying to find the R gear! I have no idea buddy!

Jim wanted to show you that he actually did ALL the work yesterday..no joke, he DID!
    100_0902.JPG

Ok, Jim needs to post on how he went about isolating the noises, how he used a compression teaster on that ONE hole to help know what is NOT wrong, and listening on one side while I shorted and unshorted that one plug wire. And his diagnosis of the noise culprit...that Hamber George maybe got right days ago, it "seems".

I will run it again , but I must take the pump belt off! I want MORE info on the rest of the engine noises or lack of, before I charge in blind!! But NOT today! I am F'n done for...way way burnt out!!!..this has been a wild time since Jan first! in every sense of everything! I have closed my shop to anymore outside work indefinitely, until I rest up...I may not even open the shop door today...I need to go grocery shopping, house cleaning, 2 hour hot shower, EAT for a freakin change...you get it??

oh, Jim, post up info on that now vacant spot where the Vac pump?? was...and the needed, added bolt and lock nut deal to replace that thing on the right front of trans!

8. F&J

F&J

Ok, let me clarify something...I say the Cord has a selector...it sure is...BUT as neither of us can see pics of the original electric / vac assist? system??...we cannot say that the original cord trans WAS a selector! or not!

biggeorge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

My Lloyd I'm fixing has a 4 on the tree also! Should be an experience for sure. Keep up the wonderful work Mr. Frank!
    [​IMG]

The37Kid, cactus1 and F&J like this.
  10. I was reading that the Cord car was not very well built. I have to say I have allways thought the front end was the best looking car everbuilt but the back half looks like something is missing, like they spent so much time with the front and they just ran out of time or money by the time they got to building the back half.
    I have never owned one (wish I could) and don't know anyone that has so I have to ask, how is the fit and finish?

biggeorge and F&J like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Alan, I bet all of you thought that cord pattern with the one single slot, that was reverse??? We thought so too! It is NOT. REV is all the way to the left, and forward I think.....yes forward, Jim?

That is why Jim needs to explain where the gears are at the column.

Ok, the shift handle in neutral: There is some sort of spring action from the two outer gates...has to be...somewhere.. The shift handle in N, wants to stay centered as far as needing to push up on the lever to one gate, or push down for the other gate

biggeorge and MyCrustyVW like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

well, some people love a 57 Chevy and some can't stand them and prefer the 57 Ford, or say, a 55 chevy!

I have said for years that the original designers sketch on that napkin at the coffee shop was a FOUR DOOR sedan! That body is so freakin sexy as you walk around it. (Think 1936!!) or 35 when it was sketched??? I would not take either of the two different types of Cord mid 30s convertibles,. one is 2 pass? other is rear seat with 4 passengers? IDK. Also, I love the clean slick look without the side pipes...kinda like some cuties of all ages look so beautiful without makeup, yet others are a stunning knockout with! You need to see these cars in person. The many people who visit here are drawn to the car with a curious look on their faces...wandering around it, then just staring at the dash stuff. I cannot explain what I see or they see! Drive up Dude, oh wait until we can take the photo-op trip to the Campus...Jim wants to go now, he admitted it yesterday. Ron, get some plates for the Cord by Spring, we gotta get up there first warm day...they'll be wearin less bulky jackets ya know :rolleyes:

13. F&J

F&J

Ooops I forgot to answer that.... the door fit is not good at all, let us get a bit deeper into that here. We looked at it pretty good outside yesterday, wondering if we are looking at a poor fit from crash, or from factory, or poor resto? We don't know yet, but it would not be noticeable with the right colors and some tweaking !

edit..too dam tired to get posts right today, so I will refrain and go buy FOOD! today... the poor fit is on only certain gaps, the doors do not droop, and close f'n sweet.

biggeorge and 46international like this.
  14. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

I'll give you that the 34 LaSalle convertible is a handsome car but the coupe, not so much. The 36 has better lines, in my opinion and a LOT less wooden substructure, a two windshield and a steel "turret top". The 36 weights less than the 34 termite trap, has a slightly higher gear in the rear 4:55 vs 4:79 and a better and bigger motor (248 vs 240 in the 34). Not knockin the 34, just sayin. I'll take yours when you don't want it anymore.

As for the shift pattern on the Cord, pulling the gear shift lever toward the driver from neutral as far as it will go and then pushing it up gets you reverse. Straight down from there is first. Second is back up through the neutral gate and toward the dash a little then up. Third is straight down from there. Fourth is back up to neutral then all the way toward the dash and then down. Not the pattern I thought it would be and I'm not sure how positive the gear selection actually is when driving but hey, its a good solution to the troublesome original shifting setup.
    The block off plate on the front of the trans housing on the passenger's side is where the original servo (servos?) were mounted. Need to do some more research on that.

As for the engine, well it actually ran pretty good with plug wire on number 4 cylinder on the passenger's side disconnected. Hook it back up and you get a pretty good high tone rapping. After talking about it for awhile, Frank and I are fairly certain it's a bad wrist pin. Bummer! It's up to the owner as to what he wants to do and I guess it's up to Frank to decide how much he wants to get into it, but at least I can now say I've driven a Cord, even if it was only a few feet.

And Frank, don't use the blue shirt I left there yesterday as a rag. Thanks.

brad2v, biggeorge and F&J like this.
  15. F&J

F&J

Not been in there yet today, most likely wont. I DID take MY FREAKIN shower, HOT one! NOBODY called! or Knocked on the door!...hey I knew it would be dead today.....umm, emmm.... I know chit! ya know? Bye!

16. This one was driving around Kansas City a couple of weeks ago and I thought of this thread! IMG_3566.JPG

17. F&J

F&J

^^^ That is a Beverly? I think? Ron would know, it has the bustle back that most people think of as a baby with a "full diaper" The one here is a Westchester, again, Ron would know for sure.

2 PM, prime time to head to store, no busses from the schools then, AND most importantly no texters as much, on the way home when I need to stop dead in the middle of RT 32 to turn into my driveway when headed North only. I even had one of the "walking dead" barely see me at the last moment, with me ON the painted center lines...he has them locked up swerving around me, then lays on his horn!!! Oh, baby, he did NOt get the "friendly" hand gesture! Come on back dude, we will have a nice little "chat"

catdad49, biggeorge and cactus1 like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Sure sounds like a fun way to shift a car, lol!

biggeorge and F&J like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Interesting day & eve, yesterday. Oh, I did get to the grocery store, but had to stop for gas, a guy behind me was too close pulling in the station...I ALWAYS spend TOO much concentration in my rear view because of texting assholes, He pulled in to the same station :) So, I explained what I just wrote and we went to "IF" my rear lights are too small? No, he said. Then I find out where he lives due to finding out he has the 70? chocolate brown AMC wagon I JUST saw go north, then south past my home an hour ago, but is driving a white chevy truck! He then says texting is getting so dangerous, but why do cars have a huge TV screen in the dash now? Idiot America>>THINK!!! (there is a song by that term,) It fits my brother! Glad he lives 3000 miles away.

Ok I get ramped up at the next light, a grade school bus load of baseball? team 12 year olds in team shirts/hats...some had thumbs up out the window at my trusty rusty wagon!...I stick my hand out like "rock on!"...no muffler, 2 brakes, bald rear tires, I gave them a show leaving the light...that bus was no match for 60 horsepower piloted by a madman.. I am sure they had fun watching :)

Get to food store, geez, non stop people smiling..I kid you not, THEY were chatting me up this time. I was getting WAY too ramped despite trying to control whatever is wrong with me. Ah, I later know why now, I diagnose myself now, as all the doctors cannot, they want me on meds. If you have a lot of headaches, you are told to take pills...but why not ask yourself "why" or "what" gives me the headaches...oh, no, just take "the pill', ...there is a pill for everything.

On way home I see this, but no time to stop....yummm >>>Ice cream in car melting..(Pic taken later in day):
    100_0906.JPG

After leaving there, I wanted to take a road to the right to go to one of Tims family members farm stand hoping I can get sweetcorn, but it is too late in the season I bet. I never took time yet this year :( Ok, widest part of that whole stretch of RT 32, blinker on way, way in time, I am in the breakdown side, the A-hole behind me is not pulling past??? Dang! he is doing what I never realized before! He/She must be texting, glancing up, but following my car...not the freaking road!!! That car was in the gutter like me!..then at last moment, the walking dead person snaps out of their trance and pulls out on the proper lane! Gosh, I do not want to drive anymore !

I get home, put stuff away, should eat, but, want to head back as it was on the truck, maybe getting crushed soon??, get in my car halfway pulling out and my son pulls in. I get out to say I want to go check that rail out and does he want to go? Yes, but says I put too much info on FB, wants to delete it, I say go ahead, I cannot find the edit tab no matter how well I follow instructions. But all that time hanging on passenger side window talking... I tell him I am getting fainting feelings... He gets out says that I need fluids, I only made it to my car and sat on the dirt. :) He says I'll get water, I said, I just set 3 half gallons of fruit drinks just inside the door to bring to the shop next time.

I perk right up just ducky! Let's GO! We get there, meet ALL the new owners... ha, ha, from my ethnic country of Poland, Baby... Leopold is the patriarch of the family, I was taking with his 40? year old son while I was up on the rollback telling this son all the dates of all the components. Leopold later chats with my son still in his truck, then sees the fishing poles, Now I will go back today, as if he remembers, he is bringing old antique bamboo flyrods in their cloth fitted bags for free! He did not want to throw them away!

ok, Jim calls after that...to check up on my heath as usual, I did not think to tell him the stuff above :) Then trying to finish that half gallon, the crew calls to come here to start the 29 Chevy motor, that Kenny refused to take money for until we hear it run...but Kenny is now wanting the money! Still no time to eat, but I am fine, F-it! we got fun stuff to do:
    100_0907.JPG 100_0910.JPG 100_0911.JPG
    Ok, we quit at 9 according to them, I do not use a watch. I say that is good as there is a 7 year old boy maybe going to bedtime very close by. Kenny, your "good" rebuilt starter is F'ed, it was when I tried it last summer, but you said shim it! Kenny, shims are a sign that there is something wrong with the starter, because it cannot be the flywheel or whatnot, as it acts the same on TWO 29 engines. No clue if the gang will try today, maybe? I will pull the starter off to see if the drive gear is extending too much. We MUST run this "good" motor, as I do not trust Kennys memory anymore by observations all this wild crazy summer! Tim wants to pay Kenny now, Kyle says lets install it in the tractor,... ME? I say we must run it first! But I got to go learn back the Polish language that I once spoke fluently from ages 3 to 6? I got some few words back yesterday, which was fun as heck! I asked Leopold how my first name is used there, "Franick" is the sound! Cool or F'n what? Life is good fellows and gals, just find out how to keep yourself fit and healthy! The rest is pure fun. Oh, but at 9:15 I snapped that one darn head stud again! LMAO I will get it, I always do!

Ok,Jim, like I went angry on the phone about you keep telling me to clean up all the junk out back where nobody driving past, or neighbors can see? Do you get it now? Why I said I have better things to do, like clean my home better? Eat better, ....Junk and the big propane tank sitting there is a problem for you? Bob jr used to be like that here, but as he ran Gene's generator 10 minutes to make sure it was fine, Bob asked if having all these people here all the time is a problem or not? I said I love it. He said with hands out... like to see the views here..he said "this is real life". Bob is a very kind and very dear friend...like all the peeps here abouts.. Oh, the Polish people, are soon moving to this area, they say they live on the "wrong side" of CT <<< their words, not mine. They said this area is so friendly. Not kidding, that sure makes me feel good, I like my new hometown . I will get better this week, food, drink enough H20 etc, less busting tail :)

Hnstray, MyCrustyVW and biggeorge like this.
  20. Frank, please take the time to eat, drink, and sleep............two speeds, full out enjoying and stopped to rest.........carry on.

Hnstray, catdad49, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  21. F&J

F&J

Ok, ok, Ted, I am slowing down a bit... Before 9am I am back to that Yard.. kinda looking for my driving glasses, but wanted to toss a deal on the rail...and show them the VW engine and pieces in my Wagon that are still there!

ha, guess how I greeted them each? with fluent, proper voice??? in Polish... "good morning" I am serious, it came out as good as they could ever do.. I already knew that one!

ok, went home. Ummm, coming down my drive I see new veggies sitting on theplywood that the kids put over the 29 chevy motor...then see Mercedes Will sitting in his truck, waiting...Why is he waiting? I have a huge 9x11 white envelope says "went to store be right back"...Doors all open, shop light on...

We take the 32 back to that yard as the gang there wants to see it. Why I knew they like old rods??? hmmnnn I took a business card to help spread the word about new owners that are giving good prices with a smile...he, he. a pic of a new age low rod, that some may say it is a R..rod...no, a hotrod I told Dan the Son. >>> Powers of just opening your freakin eyes!...meaning this entire Yard episode..
    100_0914.JPG
    Then we got a tour of in the shop, office makeovers, stuff outside, but we needed to head to 12 Valve daves to see if Will could use the bed floor from the87 Dodge we hauled from Kenny... no not good enough for the work to cut and re-use..
    100_0915.JPG

oh, First thing when Will was here waiting, I did pull that starter off the 29, did not have reading glasses but sure looked like the gear & drive face was smushing way too hard! Will said pretty excited" Yes, it is going in too far, there is the drag!"

oh, it aint noon yet, coffee and water, then back to pay for the rail....he. he, I am good at doing a deal...my offer was steady this morning, their counter was simply based on my first and ONLY offer they could have had yet!! This is not my first pony ride asI said before... As Will & I were getting into the ford, Dan waves bye, I points to the rail and says, "you sell or what". Dan: > "Show me the money", I said right in pocket now, if you put it back on the rollback and haul 1.5 miles... he said busy now but be here before 1pm. Rockin the H on, I is.. I sure do miss flippin, the Vw stuff, etc... My kid will be pized, but it aint his bizzness! Right?

oh, tested the 32 clutch again by accident actually, we are cruising past on ball field packed with 12 year olds? and tons of parents...oh, baby I see some kids & people staring...I down shifted like a pro and hit it hard... lol, get the interests seeded in others, right, Is there a cop there? I dunno?? apparently not it seems....I Love it!

MyCrustyVW, Hnstray, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Cord at Franks.JPG When I saw this all I could think of was," That is one Sexy Bitch!"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    41 coupe, Hnstray and F&J like this.
  23. F&J

F&J

Might be able to work on the 34vLaSalle engine late today...We got back here with the rollback and dumped the rail here by 1pm... Son tried to find where I put the battery for his 83 K10 project, to move it for turn-around room for the wrecker...dummy, Wil and I knew there was plenty of room for that new flatnose rollback! He approaches me kinda all stressed about not getting it moved??...then said "look, I now know I am not a project guy, I want to go Fish for STRIPERS"... Duh, I've told him that for a few years.. He then said "I want to give you my truck!!' I was thanking him SO much many times, saying I loved that truck..He blurted out ; "give me a hug you crazy m'r - f'r". we have a very close relationship, growing bigtime in the last 7 months when I said I am doing the last step.

oh, that new yard, well old yard, new crew... Mansfield Auto Parts... Ok, I find stuff metal detecting...some I keep, or give away... I was going to give them this old vanity plate from back in the 70s-80? when CT went to one plate for only a few years....years ago, I found it washed down river from my back lot.. I knew it looked like me, but I never drove like a madman...??? :
    100_0919.JPG
    100_0921.JPG

See ^^^ people CAN change!!! LMAO!!

Ok, we got that 29 chevy motor to run enough to know it is good, smoked the livin crap out of the armature...but did not care, as it is junk, even though Kenny said good, He will give us a used one.. LOL ... I will tell him it sounds great! ..well for a few minutes anyways..

then we put the battery from the Cord, back in my NEW truck and moved it up by MY parking spot...Both of us said it sounds SO sweet with the light cam and nice pipes. runs Tit!

I told my kid "you can borrow it" He laughed..

catdad49 and biggeorge like this.
  24. F&J

F&J

I will get back on the LaSalle ...I promise,,, lol.. But I will be headed to Kennys at daybreak.. Ya need to know everyones language. I called him late yesterday to say that starter is no good. He says Oh, it must not be for that Chevy! Then here is some Kenny Speak:

-I will look for a starter first thing in the AM
    -I was going to go to the Brooklyn CT antique swap meet to sell, but I'm too busy (WHAT?? TOO busy?? for THAT!??)
    -Perrys truck is broken and I am too big to get under the dash (perrys truck is priority to keep the barn cleanups going!)

all that means I am going to Kennys at daybreak, as I am the thinnest guy I have ever seen there, LMAO

anybody need anything while i'm there?

25. F&J

F&J

Well, Biggeorge...I see you fell for it too with a predawn "like" on my last post..ha.ha

Like I keep saying, I catch on slow... I called Kenny at 5:30am...er nope, he is not there... Well, now that I am sitting there thinking...I had asked him "which" show at Brooklyn Fairgrounds is it? (there are 4 that I know of by different clubs). He said it was the Yankee Yesteryear one with the >>> BIG swapmeet! Man, I know he is on his way there! LMAO again!!! He got me again!

But, one other thing he said last night, a duffer in New York from the early 4 cylinder Dodge club, called to tell Kenny that he just snapped up a early 20s Dodge Touring for Kenny in "nice condition but apart", for a widows screwy price of $975 that she was just about to list for that amount on NY Craigslist...but Kenny said that his "Flip-Fund" was a bit low :(

So I told him that Tim owes him $325, and I also have $40 here from Tim for some 34 truck hoodsides that Kenny sent here....and dang, I just remembered I got a check in the mail yesterday for selling a part online for Kenny for $150.... well, folks, we have a 6 passenger tow vehicle, a bunch of young bucks wanting to travel...so...ROAD TRIP!!

Hey, I get to work on the 34 LaS engine this morning!!! Who the heck knows about later today, as Kenny gets back early from swaps!! I will fix Perry's truck this afternoon! ..Rock n roll !!

beater40, catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Frank, difficult for me to keep up .......:confused:......which truck did your son just give you??

Ray

tb33anda3rd, F&J and vtwhead like this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Ha, Ray, difficult for ME to keep up around here.... 7 AM this morning there were THREE black 4 door trucks in our lot, different group of young'uns heading to Rhode Island AGAIN, for dive & fish today! I need a bigger lot!

ok, back when my kid picked up the black 4dr truck, I was then positive he was going to sell the rot-free Texas shortbed 83 loaded Silverado that he had such a difficult time finding one that was exactly like he always wanted. So, I was showing my total despair here, as I KNEW he would never finish that dream! Well, I had him laugh last night before he left for yet another country fair truck pulling show..... I pre-warned him that the following was just a joke, and I said I know he never meant it to pan out this way:

"you wanted to pay me to restore the cosmetics on the 83, but then knew I was too swamped, so you NEVER ordered/paid for all the new repro stuff for interior, and now you said to register it in (Joe's) your name due to dads age & potential estate stuff,........ and NOW, because I said I'd let you borrow your old 83 whenever you want...>>>>YOU got ME to do the work to it AND pay for the freakin' parts!!!

100_0616.JPG

it truly is a circus here lately....it's not like we "have only one oar in the water"...It's more like we threw them away! o_O:eek:

Hnstray likes this.
  28. F&J

F&J

I don't know if you guys/gals really know what is going on around here this year...it is kinda deep. The human brain is an amazing thing if all restraints to feelings, responsibilities and especially in my case, monetary value? is blanked out for a moment.. The 32 ford would never have been sold by me in my lifetime, but it needed more use, it needed to spread more fun to others who my son exposes it to, and he would end up with it someday anyways.

The mystery guy who approached my son and Kyle that late afternoon at the Colchester burger place; my son said: "some guy had a 34 Vicky rod at home", that guy found me at the last Ashford show and some chat led to him saying that my son recalled all the work that "WE" did together, not just Frank! Even told that guy some very detailed info on certain cool features!

Ok, the 83 K10 "gift"? ha, he could not bear to flip it! Now he CANNOT sell it, as he gave it to ME! I will put it in the rear/back facing bay very soon, just like I planned to do before the gifting, as I did not want it outside! Nothing has changed, has it? It will get done, but he will pay for some parts at some point, I am sure,.... and his friend Dillon from Autozone had offered to paint it for free labor as he wants to get more practice!! I was told that by Joe yesterday!

Money is nothing but a tool to me, I get by just fine by living without many things that others believe is needed. I (we) will rock on, my friends!

EDIT/ADDING: It takes super clear thinking to know what is hidden in others words; my son said yesterday when I was wondering what color "I" would choose for the 83 now...he said "I wanted it all silver", and heck why did he say that as he told me that SO many times already! AND, when I said I'd do a rubber floor mat instead of the Silverado carpet...he seemed a tick hestitant to say "ok". He "still" wants it the way his dream had it built! Oh, yes indeed!, it will be all silver with carpet!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  29. F&J

F&J

This mornings post is about diagnosis, and going deeper, how our thinking patterns sometimes influence that.

The Cord is here for the winter, that was determined a long time ago. So, rushing right now is just plain foolhardy. Ron bought the car at least 10 years ago, but never made the push/move to get a shop lined up till maybe 3-? years ago...I was tied up with the big estate and it's many big projects, and then Ron posted on the AACA main board looking for any shop in a 3 state area that could mainly get it up and runnable, not a resto. No takers it is apparent to me. So, as I still am not certain what that knock is, so I will go in float mode as I am still moving things between bay and buildings. I am the only "game in town", so no sence worrying if the Cord is at the "right shop"?

I simply refuse to do what happened to my 34 LaSalle mint running engine. I allowed myself to be influeneced into making the most >Stupid Move< I have done in many years, by "worrying" about 3 broken head bolts. I was NOT worried at all about those!! I was told by at least two people, maybe 3, that "you won't be comfortable until you pull the head to get those repaired correctly". That left me with a nearly ruined engine. I may have bent valves as we simply do not know if a chisel hit one. We ended up with stuck valves due to the water that migrated and sat dormant after powerwashing. I now need to pull the valve springs/keepers to do a lap test on the valves...there is some sludge in the valve side cover areas, so now we will be/having disturbed- loosened that sludge, so now we need to remove the valve follower cages to wash it all out, then drop the pan and keep going...and going... do you get it now? If this was a customers engine, I would be devastated! I am GLAD it is mine! The 34 project is off to the worst possible start, I could have had a drivable chassis by now, when I REALLY need it to be, due to the cold weather coming hard. The Cord may need to come into THAT bay! That is the only long bay to get "bigtime" into a motor job!

Obsevations. > Kenny never returned two calls yesterday, despite him saying the night befoe, that he would call to let me know either way on if he has a starter for the 29 Chevy motor. I was and still am worried, but I cannot call his Son to see if Kenny or Daisy had a "health issue", as he flew down to Florida earier to help protect a home for that storm.

and, as I sat here to type, I see the same black 4 door truck where it sat since the owner Frank B., left it before the ocean dive trip. I kinda was shocked, thinking the boat crapped out or capsized?? But then as I opened my back door to look to see if my sons black truck and car was still here, I spot the edge of his large plastic tub that he carrys his dive gear in, sitting nearly hidden in front of that truck! Ok, I knew they got back off the water! But why is Franks truck here?... I waited as I heard the "remote start" start up my kids truck then wait for him to come out to ask...oh, Frank did not want to pick up his truck so late, so they dropped him off at his home which is on the way here, but far away. See? "things can be confusing" is what my point is. I still don't know why Kenny never called which I don't think has ever happened before, and I still don't know what that Cord noise is.

I will not jump to conclusions is my point!

MyCrustyVW, catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  30. F&J

F&J

If you think I am going "drama" over the present situation of my once nice 34 motor?

There is still one broken bolt which I can get out, there are 12 other open threaded holes that need new studs, which as I did finally find a Dorman stud that is the correct length and coarse thread 7/16"... Those are GRADE 8! They are coarse thread at top, not fine thread at top like the old mis-matched studs that someone installed 70? years ago? Some of the surviving studs are rusted a bit thinner that 7/16 "shank" size, so they will certainly be of a differtent stretch rate during not only tightening/re-torque , but also a different stretch rate during normal hot/cold cycles as the car is driven in the future. So, NOW, the "correct" procedure is to remove all the entire group of dozens of studs, which will be a F'ng nightmare! Then while those are out, might as well strip that block down to be decked, as there is some edge damage from the chisels/wedges. See? do we REALLY have a better motor the way it sits now in my shop? NO, it's FUCKED Jim! I know you don't like me using that word, but words are just words, and in this case, it REALLY get's my point across with just one word.

Age is merely the number of earth time of a persons experiences. I should have known better, as I have 50 years experience in making improper & proper decisions on motor vehicles.

catdad49 and biggeorge like this.