Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs So...How Many times has this happened to you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dasheot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Had a '56 GMC with factory Pontiac motor - one I wish that still owned

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Do you have an ID tag on the pass. side cowl?

3. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

I have a ID tag but not sure where it originally mounted , when I found the car it was in the floor boards with a bunch of trash and debri

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Never to me. I give the look "I fucking dare you!"

The funny thing is that this is my normal look. Can't help it.

I do have to laugh when I am working on my coupe in my garage, and people come up my drive way and say "that really is a nice old chevy with the little motor that you are building up"....I giggle and tell them it's a 1927 Ford Coupe on a 1928 ford frame with a 1951 Ford 8BA flathead. Sometimes they want to say something but nothing comes out....

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

If you have the tag, it'll say "General Motors of Canada" across the top. Canadian numbering system is different than US built cars... so, if you have the tag, tell us what it says and leave the last few digits off the serial. (XXX)

6. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

So here what my tag says
    General motor division
    Pontiac motor division
    Style no 38-2511
    Body no 11596
    Trim no 71-v
    Paint no 5u-u

7. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

8. jim snow

jim snow

Nice car. Don't let anyone mess with your serenity. Snowman

Dasheot and Just Gary like this.
  9. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks snow

jim snow likes this.
  10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just read through the entire thread. It pretty much all been said. The car is gorgeous! Blow off those idiots, I see absolutely NOTHING lazy about the build on this car. Just remember the stupid comments and laugh about them with your friends.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Those people from the OP are even on this forum acting as if its 'bad' to put a SBC in an old Ford

Montana1 likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

"I put a SBC in it because I prefer the rod ratio of 1.64 to the Pontiac's rod ratio of 1.77, for a variety of reasons, dwell time at TDC, crank leverage at mid-stroke...what do you think? Wait, where are you going?"

13. clem

clem

Wow!
    When I saw the pictures of your car I completely forgot what this thread was all about.
    That car is beautiful, a real credit to you.
    You don't have to justify anything about it to anyone !

14. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thank you sir

15. WDobos

WDobos

I have a 1960 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery with a 472 fuel injected Cadillac in it. When someone ask why do you have a Cadillac engine in your Chevrolet I respond with "Why not"

16. What porknbeaner said, so true..

I remember when I first started to drive out in my Center Door "T".

One of the funniest comments came from a policeman, and he said after looking all over the car,

" why did you have to build it that tall.

1.JPG

CDT rear.JPG

I just had to walk away.

Your car is the nut's, and is a credit to you. keep being individual, and take no notice.

Atwater Mike, chryslerfan55 and clem like this.
  17. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Hey, my old junk goes everywhere. Dinner, cookouts, weddings, cruise night, club shows, real shows (Goodguys, AACA, etc.) nothing is out of bounds for the most part. Almost always the fact that we are driving an old car is enough for folks to want to talk and are positive and receptive to the journey. An occasional yahoo that needs a little more seat time and may be willing to spout some bullshit opinion is just part of the gig. Just understand that certain places will attract that element more than others. Our entire hobby is built on varying tastes and opinions, just be willing to listen and learn and appreciate that what your looking at is someones vision of awesome. Others may not be able to do that so just focus on fixin' cars not fixin' people.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Dick heads, they're everywhere. They walk amongst us.

19. I tell them that any ass wipe can put a Ford engine in a Ford, I like a challenge.

GeezersP15 likes this.
  20. ...maybe the smart ass will think about what he says after this, but maybe not,...he must dislike a LOT of cars, the SBC is the most used "replacement" motor,...Nice Poncho.

21. The missus has always wanted me to build her a T coupe only make it taller. She says that if she owned a phone booth she might get to talk to Super Man. :D

Well you know what they say, "Friends don't let friends drive Fords." :D

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That is a very nice Pontiac, and the engine looks great.

I love SBCs, first engines I ever played with and still do, but I have to admit if I'm looking at cars at a show and see one under the hood I don't pay as much attention to it as other engines, simply because I know exactly what I'm looking at, I know the valve covers, the exhaust ports, the distributor... whereas if I see a Ford, Mopar, Olds, Pontiac, Buick etc. it takes me a minute to figure out what it is and why stuff is where it is.

And I keep my big mouth shut.

23. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never have a battle of wits, with an unarmed man.

24. That is the beauty of the small block. People tend to ignore them and when they are not looking they get their doors blown off. :D Never under-estimate an SBC or its owner, you may just get your ass handed to you. ;)

When I was a kid I knew this guy that worked at a dairy. Quiet young man, affable but quiet. He owned a '39 Studebaker coupe, a Champ. Nothing special, just sat pretty low and was painted in red lead. Open the hood and there was absolutely no glitz, just a stockish looking small block, painted orange, clean enough to eat off of but nothing fancy at all. It did have two fours. he always said it was just a 283, but when he let it loose it would just evaporate. He didn't street race much but I can say truthfully that I never saw him s loose.

Engine choice is just as personal as any other aspect of the car and should be governed by nothing more than the builder's choice. Nothing wrong with an SBC its just the snobs that have a problem.

Montana1 likes this.
  25. old man hal

old man hal

Hombre and Dasheot like this.
  26. Dasheot{I like your car} You should of told him to get back in his smart car and go back home.LOL.Bruce.

Montana1 and Dasheot like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When the Chevy engine was in my Lincoln. I was the one talking badly about it being there! :eek::D
    It's getting a 302 Ford now, that is when and if I get time to work on it.....My choice, I like a Ford in a Ford product. Nothing wrong with a SBC in a GM product, either. I also own a OT 88 Firebird that came factory with a tuned port 350 SBC.

I wouldn't worry about those that don't like it, I think you have a beautiful ride! The trim on the Pontiac really makes it stand out over the similar bodied Chevy. I wouldn't kick it outta the garage for leaking oil, lol!

Also, let me say I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son. We lost our youngest in wreck almost 10 years ago, he was just 20 at the time. That is a club I wouldn't want to wish membership in on anybody. I'm sure he would be proud of the Pontiac!

oldsjoe likes this.
  28. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks Bama sorry for yours too

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Please yourself and motor on, man.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  30. We just don't do car shows. Im burnt out by lookie loos. Idiots looking at my stuff whether it here at my place or at some car show don't do anything for me. We have a 55 chevy 150 2 dr wagon. I always get idiots who call it a Nomad. I enjoy having a hoard behind a fence. Its fun to say its not for sale. Im gonna fix it up someday. Now my 4 year old grandson tells them see that 55 chevy that's mine im gonna fix it up someday. Ive got three grandsons at present. They all seem to be afflicted by the car bug.

bobss396 likes this.