Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Studebaker Rockne Build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevinS, Jul 31, 2017.

1. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Fairborn Studebaker near Dayton, OH has the engine, the adapter for the transmission, and will build the engine and supply the parts for Lo Man Rods to mock everything up with.

2. Kevin; In reading your list of things to change #1 is Curved glass windshield back to semi stock. Can you explain the Curved glass part to me? I also remember both versions of this car and had read about it in print. I'm also a Rockne owner. I've had mine since 1964. It's was a Fenderless Hot Rod when I bought it. In early 70's it needed a new windshield Glass and the outcome was not good. I've been watching for another good metal frame since. No luck to date. What was done to get by was far less than desirable but has gotten me by. Car is under rebuild and would like to address that issue again.
    The Wizzard

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0183.JPG
    You may be able to see the windshield better in these pictures. The new glass was made from a mold that Lo Man Rods made for the car. The mold was sent away for glass to be made that would curve with the body. It was set up more like a new car in that it was floating with no frame. I do have the original frame and we are going to go back to it this time with some modifications to the frame so that it has a cleaner look. The curved glass was a very expensive piece since it was a one off item.

mgtstumpy and exterminator like this.
  4. I can see what your talking about now. Back when I was having my Glass changed the shop doing the work broke off many of the fasteners both holding the frame to the hinges and the glass frame screws.

5. I let them talk me into just glueing the glass to the body with calking and they made a frame work out of 1/2" aluminum angle and screwed it to the body. I didn't know any better back then. I just wanted my Car back. Didn't even get the old frame back. What a mistake.
    The Wizzard

6. Here she is in all her Glory. Not quite the same as yours.
    32 Stude 0003.jpg

catdad49, mgtstumpy, mr57 and 3 others like this.
  7. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Does anyone have any Rockne parts for sale or trade? I am looking for a good grill shell, door handles (inside and out) window cranks, splash apron, headlights, taillights, front and rear bumpers. Or does anyone know where a decent completed car is for sale?

8. Kevin; Many years back I heard through the National Studebaker owners club there was a special listing for Rockne owners. At that time they catered to the purest and being mine don't fit there I never followed up. You probably already knew this, but might be a good place to go shopping also.
    The Wizzard

9. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The cowl is now ground smooth from the earlier pictures. The cross member of the chassis has been taken out since the motor and trans will be set up a little different. The motor mounts were taken off for the LT1. We should have the Studebaker motor soon to be able to mock it all up and determine where the mounts for everything should be. From there, everything can be built around it. The firewall will be moved back a little so that we can fit the twin superchargers up front.

The floor is all coming out today. Additional body mounts (holes have been added in the frame rails. More destruction is on the way so the construction can begin. Stay tuned.

We are replacing the Ford 8.8 rear with a 9 in Ford. This current rearend will be for sale and can come with the 4-link.

IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1814.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Apenaut

Apenaut

I've found parts for my '29 Studebaker President rod through SearchTempest - a nationwide Craigslist search website.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Apenaut

Apenaut

Also had more success with EBay than I ever expected. Found headlights, headlight bar, grill shell and tail lights. I set up daily alerts for multiple searches that weeded out unrelated crap. I check the search emails everyday.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Nice history on this Stude. What you're doing to it now with a Stude motor with dual superchargers is friggin' cool!
    Yeah, please take your time. I'll savor every moment:cool:

14. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thanks for the heads up on this. I will try this search.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A Studebaker engine in a old Studebaker is something you don't see every day let alone that vintage Stude. Plus a great tribute to your father.
    I recall Carol SHELBY pulled 2 x AC Cobras aside and added twin Paxtons to each 427FE and can imagine what they'll do to your engine. Very low Rockne production numbers by comparison to other manufacturers at that time.

Lots of information here:-
    upload_2017-9-1_11-10-16.png
    upload_2017-9-1_11-9-34.png

upload_2017-9-1_11-44-58.jpeg

R5 :D:D
    upload_2017-9-1_11-50-11.jpeg

upload_2017-9-1_11-50-35.jpeg

upload_2017-9-1_11-51-21.jpeg

[​IMG]

mkebaird, beebing, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  16. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thanks for the information and the pictures! It gives me lots more ideas.

17. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Tim Robbins with Lo Man Rods has been working the metal on the Rockne. The pictures below show him basically remaking the original grill shell. After stripping it it looks pretty rough. It has been widened and slanted and a lot of the welds were still present. With the addition of the Flying R being added back onto it it needed reworked anyways since it was previously smoothed. They are going to put the insert in it again to see if we want to add the bars in the middle of the grill shell or not.

IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0092.JPG

18. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Most of the floor is gone now. Cross member gone and Studebaker engine is on the way for mock up. Work is continuing on the grill shell as well. Ready to get the car on a chassis jig.

IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1828.JPG

elgringo71, catdad49, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

IMG_0093.JPG The top of the grill shell is taking shape, bead is forming and the Flying R is getting positioned. We are making the top and center for the emblem the way we want it to look.

20. Kevin, I like it. My grill shell is still stock on top and I also have the Flying R. Not that it would change a thing in how your doing the repair but would you like a Close Up of how it was off mine just to look at?
    The Wizzard

21. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

We have several up close photos from different angles. Thanks for asking.

22. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Wow that car has some fantastic lines! I love old Studebakers, your plans for it sound perfect too!

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

watching this one.stude engine in the car will be cool,

24. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The top of the grill shell is taking shape. It is slightly recessed with a lip around it. To me the entire grill shell is going to be a piece of art with all of the work done to it since it will be completely new and reworked off of my previous shell.

The front Kugel suspension is going to be taken out and will be replaced with a dropped axle and old school wishbones reworked. Stay tuned for details.

We will be getting a new cross member for the Kugel front end and the complete setup will be for sale. Please let me know if anyone has interest in the complete front suspension. It has a rack and pinion steering on it.

IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1831.JPG

mgtstumpy, Stogy, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good sir.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.
    Good luck.have fun.be safe.
    Leo

26. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The shop is continuing to work on the grill shell and now the hood area to tie it all together. Still a lot of work to do.

IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0107.JPG

mgtstumpy, elgringo71 and waxhead like this.
  27. elba

elba

Somebody had a 32 Rockne street rod back in the 70's in Sarasota. Don't know who owned it or where it is. I know useless information but I thought I post it anyhow .

28. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Lots going on at the Lo Man Rods shop and progress continues on the Rockne. The chassis is stripped of all the parts now and ready to go get blasted. When it returns it will be put on the new chassis table for mock up with the new suspension. The Kugel front end is for sale minus the cross member. A new cross member can be purchased for approximately $600. Inquire if interested on the front suspension including brakes, air ride, sway bar, rack and pinion, disc brakes. I am also replacing the rear end with a new rear end. We will have a dropped straight axle up front with old school wishbones and a new rear end with old school wishbones as well. The Ford 8.8 rear with disc brakes and four link is now for sale if anyone may have interest. I will post both in the for sale section as well with pricing.

The body is off right now again to blast the chassis.

The grill shell is now nearing completion. It is stepped in on the sides and can be shown with the mounted radiator. Most of the top and welds are smoothed. I will show a completed picture when done. I am going for the most expensive radiator shell award.

IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1846.JPG IMG_1845.JPG

Peanut 1959, mgtstumpy and elgringo71 like this.
  29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Sorry if I missed this, but was the original grille shell sacrificed to make the new one? Or was it just used as a pattern reference?

30. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The original shell still exists but it was rough and patched together too much. Rather than repair it and use body filler we chose to do it right. It has also been cut and slanted. It was already far from original.

Peanut 1959 likes this.