Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Safety Through Seat Belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Safety Through Seat Belts

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Well, since nobody else has mentioned it...........Nice seat cover!:D;)

3. Did anyone else notice that not one Forward Look MoPar was harmed in the making of this motion picture? :D

Still (1).jpg Still (2).jpg Still (7).jpg
    Still (8).jpg Still (3).jpg
    Still (4).jpg
    Still (5).jpg Still (6).jpg
    Still (9).jpg Still (10).jpg Still (11).jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

WOW. Looks like she is having a huge problem seeing how to fasten that buckle.
    Jimmie

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It's was hard for her to see over her,,,,,
    Back to reality
    It's one thing to have seat belts, it is another to have them mounted safely and securely. In our 63 Comet it was pop the rubber plugs and run a grade 8 bolt. But with our roadster, belts and good set of mounting bolts. The belts came with somewhat good looking solid cast eye bolts, but they didn't reach through the floor. So I got a set of stainless eyebolts and welded the eyes solid drilled through the floor and then added 6X6 3/16 plate to prevent/slow down pull through. And also they are not just lap belts. They are not the best, but they are lap/shoulder for a little added safety.

31hotrodguy and town sedan like this.
  6. flamingokid

flamingokid

What about seat belts? ;)

7. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Safety...I'm gonna poke my eyes out!

Engine man and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. town sedan

town sedan

Around 1976, at age 15, I took at wild ride in my first car a '63 Dodge. It had lap belts in the front, but I wasn't using them that day.

Anyway I remember blasting around Larryville (Lawrence KS) as fast as the slant six would take me. At one point I ran off the road into a ditch. I slid across the bench seat, but managed somehow to hold onto the steering wheel and got the car back up on the road.

Been a believer in seat belts ever since!
    -Dave

Hnstray, slv63 and Special Ed like this.
  9. Special Ed

Special Ed

"Up until the late 60s, the American automobile manufacturers resisted installing seat belts, padded dashes, ... "
    Yeah, the Big Three had their ideas, but Earl "MadMan" Muntz had a completely different take on this back in 1949, and actually had his Muntz Jets factory-equipped with seat belts as a marketing tool. If you're gonna sell a "Jet", what better way than to give the customer the illusion of your car attaining break-neck speeds? They were merely a gimmick though, as the belts (actual aircraft belts) were attached directly to the seats themselves, and obviously wouldn't have done much, if any, good ... ;)
    [​IMG]

OL 55 and HEMI32 like this.
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Here in British Columbia, all cars made after January 1st, 1964 have to have seat belts installed (presumably all cars sold in the Province after that date were required under the Motor Vehicle Act to have them).
    If you install seat belts into an earlier car, they must be worn.
    However, you aren't required to use a seat belt when driving backward!

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Man the torpedos!!! And it's true to this day, SEX sells. Always liked black and white photography, the sharpness and clarity when compared to color, and there's a reason for that, but no physics lessons today. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, and if you get in my car/truck, you do too; we don't move until everyone is buckled in. That has p*ssed some people off, but if they'd prefer to walk...............................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Bluedot

Bluedot

I can remember as a youngster in the mid 50s going to visit some relatives in KY. Two were old great aunts who had retired from careers as nurses - one with about a 53 Chrysler, the other a '54 Chevy. Both had had seat belts installed in their cars, and we kids HAD to wear them, over our rather vocal protests to our Dad. (I don't think we'd ever even seen seatbelts before.) I didn't understand then, but they were way ahead of the times. Every hotrod I've ever built included seatbelts...and an e-brake.

Early Ironman likes this.
  13. verde742

verde742

Geez, Thanks for the pointers,

kbgreen, Nostrebor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Seatbelts. I immediately thought of those horror films they showed us during driver's ed class. I seem to recall that Patrice Sadler passed out during this film. David Senter laughed and was promptly sent to detention.

My driver's ed teacher was Coach Little. Seatbelts were new, and he was skeptical. He made us buckle up, but refused to wear his, reasoning "if we have a wreck, I wanna be able to get out fast."

Flathead Dave likes this.
  15. [​IMG]
    No particular place to go
    So we parked way out on the Kokomo
    The night was young and the moon was gold
    So we both decided to take a stroll
    Can you image the way I felt?
    I couldn't unfasten her safety belt.

Ridin' along in my calaboose
    Still trying to get her belt unloose
    All the way home I held a grudge
    For the safety belt that wouldn't budge

16. toml24

toml24

Over 48 years ago myself, my high school buddy . my sister and her boyfriend were driving home from Ascot Park in So-Cal and we T-boned a car that made a unsafe left turn in front of us. I was in the back seat and belted in but my friend on my left side was not and be flew through the air and got a face full of Chevy seat material. He almost went over the seat and ended in the front seats. Lesson learned; It could happen any time, any where. We were just 2-miles from home.

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey Phartman, is that Candy Barr in the photo?...

18. Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Jugornot likes this.
  19. I agree. It's the first thing I do to any old car I buy too. But when building my model T I looked at it and said forget it. I'd rather be thrown!

20. robracer1

robracer1

I've seen people that have a roadster without a roll bar use a 4 point racing belt or seat belt with shoulder belt which means your head becomes a roll bar, at least with just a lap belt your odds of surviving a rollover improve.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say what you will, I don't wear my belts all the time. With the inertia locks now in use going over bumps tightens them up and issues serious compression on my fucked up spine. Long rides, serious snow and ice, I put up with it the best I can. I absolutely will NOT wear them when it rains. It's the rebel in me. If that cop wants to stand in the rain and write me a ticket for it I'll pay the $60 for the entertainment. No points so WTF. Happened once and I'm giggling a little as I write this;)

I'm adding race lap belts to my 39 for those who wish to wear them. However, imagine getting hit from the side in just about any pre-34 car. Where's all that wood going? Would you rather be trapped inside or thrown from the car and take your chances? If a Model A roadster got smacked hard enough you're part of the wreckage so some things should be thought through rather well. I did a few years in crash and safety so I know well the whole seat belt deal.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and points all her own
    sittin way up high
    way up firm and high

Since a few others mentioned the lovely model I thought I throw a local rock hero that way.

23. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Never mind the seat belts, what about those kids subjected to the noise of a jet rolling by at 50 feet away!
    Or the moron that runs right in front of the air intake while the jets still running!
    Back on the subject of seatbelts, got them in my hot rod, aircraft belts. Never fails, when I go for a drive every a$$hole pulls out in front of me, must be the "aw it's just an old car" attitude.
    One of the drawbacks to a traditional car, 1940/47brakes will never stop as good as disc brakes.
    Oh, and nice rack!

24. Ah yes. As I recall, "She was a black-haired beauty with big dark eyes."

And my favorite verse:

We weren't in love, oh no, far from it
    We weren't searchin' for some pie in the sky summit
    We were just young and restless and bored
    Livin' by the sword
    And we'd steal away every chance we could
    To the backroom, to the alley or the trusty woods
    I used her, she used me
    But neither one cared
    We were gettin' our share
    Workin' on our night moves
    Tryin' to lose the awkward teenage blues
    Workin' on our night moves

Good stuff.

warbird1 likes this.
  25. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What different ways are you guys mounting seat belts(and seats) in cars with new floors?

26. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Outside anchors are through the sub rails, and frame. Center has a plate under floor.

Attached Files:

Special Ed likes this.
  27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just like our military, I am sure she is unable to confirm whether or not she is carrying nuclear missile war heads.
    Just got to love the 50's...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  28. verde742

verde742

SAY, did I Thank You for the pointers?

bobss396 likes this.
  29. Careful now, them things might be loaded: