Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs So...How Many times has this happened to you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dasheot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Clunker, Sounds like my last "visit the in-laws" vacation.

2. Over my many years of Mix-n-Match I've learned to carefully Flip the table on loud mouths like that. Once hearing such a comment I just strike up a conversation feeding off there Smart Ass statement and quickly get to, Hay let's go look at your car. Then the fun really begins.
    Way back when I was around 25 years young I had a very close Friend really Bash one of my Hot Rods. Man that knocked the Crap out of me being I totally looked up to him. So much that the Car is still sitting in pieces. We have remained friends all these years but I've never totally forgot how that Hammered me. It took years for me to completley process it. Making a living building Dreams for others it has been easy to not knock what others want or have. If it makes you turn up your nose just move on, you really don't need to engage your Mouth, it often time just makes you look like the Jerk you are.
    The Wizzard

3. He probably drives a Hugo...

Montana1 likes this.
  4. I get that all the time. I told them I went with a SBC in my Ford just to piss people off. Then I thank them... after asking where their car is.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I came out of Lowe's. A guy was looking at my '40 Ford coupe. As I approached my car, he asked, "Is that your car?"
    I said yes and then he said, "Thank you for keeping the stock axle under it." I said thanks, he said, "I hate it when people put something like a Mustang II under these things." Then he asked what engine I had. I said SBC, he winced, shook his head and walked off.
    Later, I was getting gas and a guy comes up and says, "Nice car." I say thanks and he says, "Thank you for not jacking the car all up and ruining it." I said, "You're welcome."
    Stuff like this happens all the time. A few weeks ago here on the HAMB, I read the perfect response, although I couldn't find the thread it was on. When someone badmouths your vehicle, pointing out what you did wrong and what you "should have" done, simply say, "Hey, can I have your name and phone number?" When they ask why, say, "Because before I do anything else to the car, I want to call you and make sure I have your approval first."

6. once in a Blue Moon I go to Cruise nite's & I always get People
    asking me what Color I am going to Paint it.!
    and I tell them its Painted Flat Black Paint well they think its Primer
    second when they here the Engine they ask me to Open the Hood
    so they can see what I did to the Flat Head to make it sound so Great
    and I know when I do it the shit will Fly.
    So I tell them that GM had a thing going with Ford to Produce so many
    of these Car's to Fool the Public.!
    to sell cars that how Ford Got so Popular
    You have to do it with a Straight Face so they Believe you

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hey, everyone has a opinion just like everyone has a assh-le. even here there are critics on much of the work done/doing - yes, I am guilty 0f this - some rides can have any drive train that can be installed - others deserve to be kept with the original manufacturer parts - but, bottom line is as stated above your ride your life - but, I will still be a critic hopefully in a positive somewhat subdued manor - had a guy criticize my low buck '41 Chevy because it had plastic parking lenses instead of glass

8. Hot Rod Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. :)

48fordnut, Bugguts, rod1 and 8 others like this.
  9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I took my 36 to a cruise night at the Hamburg Fairgrounds a few years ago, as I pulled in the guy and his wife were running over to see my car before I got out of it, as I got out I said hello to both, and proceeded to open my hood, they stood and looked at the motor and just as quick they turned around muttering about it having a sbc in it not a ford flathead. Now one look at my car will tell you it is not original, I shrugged it off teeing them the
    the car has had a sbc in it longer than I've been alive, and longer than it had the flathead in it. I laughed as they walked away.

Atwater Mike and TagMan like this.
  10. I've always wanted to put a Flathead Ford in an early Corvette, just for guys like that. Likewise, a real aluminum AC Cobra needs a BBC. Good thing I'm NOT rich because I'd do all kinds of dumb stuff.

Like has been stated, people are rude. But I don't get the brand loyalty thing. People will get angry and fight over Chevy/Ford/Mopar crap. Weird.

My dad had a 46 Pontiac with a 460 Ford in it. The hillbilly that built it put that engine in because that's what he had laying in his barn.

11. Oh no...does this mean I have to take my Pontiac motor out of my Ford truck and the Oldsmobile motor out of my Thunderbird?????

droppedstepside, TagMan and Dan Hay like this.
  12. belair

belair

Im more interested in pics of the car...

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  13. upspirate

upspirate

If I'm not mistaken, a buddy bought a late '70's early '80'sFormula Firebird new that was built in Ca that had a 403 from the factory.....so it is sorta a Pontiac engine

14. Irvan

Irvan

I have a Corvair so it's pretty obvious I don't care what other people think about my car.

15. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

16. upspirate

upspirate

I believe there were some Pontiac script valve covers installed on SBC's installed in Canadian Pontiacs .....maybe you can find a set and save the engine swap!!!:D:):cool:

17. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

That would be cool thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. b-bob

b-bob

Yeah, Canadian Pontiacs did have Pontiac pressed into them back in '55- till, i think, 57. But they had the old staggard bolt pattern on them, as did the Chevs in the fifties.

Canadian Pontiacs shared the same 265 motors as Chev in '55.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

A) tell them it was made in Canada
    B)Mess with them, life's short have fun At their expense '
    C) my car has its share of....... patina. People are ALL the time telling me How i need to paint it, wash it. ect,ect. Some times if i feel bad it kind of ticks me off. But then i think, I have had my car for 25-30 yrs, put 300,000 miles on it.When they build one and do that, come talk to me.Enjoy your car!!

oldsjoe likes this.
  20. You have a very nice car. Enjoy it. You and your family deserve it.

If anyone says that again you could say it came from a 1977 up Pontiac. Some of those had Chevy engines.

21. 48stude

48stude

My Studebaker had a 305 originally from a 1979 Pontiac wagon (corporate engine ) Maybe yours is a corporate engine too. :D A friend of mine built a 65 Corvette back in the late 70's, 289 Ford powered. Pissed off alot of people, and I loved it. He still has the car ,but has been in storage for quite some time. He also has a Boss 429 engine. I have been trying to talk him into getting the Corvette back out with Boss power, You know, just to piss people off emo15.gif emo15.gif
    Just for the record, I'm a Chevy guy at heart.
    I think you have a great looking car. Bill
    emo15.gif Approval.png

22. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

One of many reasons to not go to car shows.

24. Actually the proper response is that it is just as much work to shoehorn a Chevy into it as a Pontiac. ;)

You cannot expect everyone to enjoy your car or respect your achievement.

Learn this now or spend your life in grief; do what you think is best always and let the chips fall where they may. Be true to yourself and let the rest of the world be damned.

clunker and oldsjoe like this.
  25. You mean like this...

s-l1600 (14).jpg

Runnin shine, Slow down, LBCD and 5 others like this.
  26. LAROKE

LAROKE

I don't know who Hugo is but I'll bet he's pissed!

27. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

A few years back, I took my 27 highboy to a club get together. A few of the show car guys were looking it over and commenting on what all was wrong with my car. A friend of mine was there and pointed out the Americacruz decals on the windshield and commented that I drove the hell out of it and didn't worry about showing it. One of the more vocal said" I just don't get it." My friend looked at him and said" if you don't get it, we damn sure can't explain it to you." Then he walked off laughing.
    That same group refused to judge a 29 roadster at the club run, because it had a Mexican blanket for upholstery. That car was in a Hot Rod magazine article a few months later.

48fordnut likes this.
  28. 48stude

48stude

^^^^^^ If you have to ask why, you probably won't ever get the answer! Bill

oldsjoe likes this.
  29. Blue mule for rent, one bad hoof, broke ear and blind in one eye. We call him Hugo, oh and don't let him get around your beer. :D

Let me ad this to the thread for clarity, I don't like Deuces, and teenage girls don't turn me on. I doubt that the Deuce owners or the teenage girls even care.

30. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Ya just have to understand that a large share of the adults out there don't get our attraction to cars.Car shows can be tough ,but friends are always calling my 57 Chevy A Camaro or a Monte carlo.Just let it go ,they don't understand racing ,or cruising . I don't understand Nebraska Football either so we all just co-exist. I go to shows mainly to see friends that I do not get to see often enough as I get older. While they are saying stupid things about my car I am fantasizing about their girlfriend. Even trade I think.