Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Here is what you are contending with as far as cylinder wall thickness. Of course YOUR BLOCK MAY VARY-- and if you hit water-------

Herb

Attached Files:

Egor, 282doorUK, bct and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Herb,
    Two really useful photos there; thanks for posting. I feel much more confident of boring up for 261 Chevy pistons now. Do you have any photos of a '28 head sectioned? It would be good to know how much work I could do on the inlet valve throat 'short side radius' which looks like the biggest restriction in those ports.

3. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Stueee
    No, I wish I had a 28 head that was otherwise unusable. I always wanted to do a comparison of a three port, and a '28 head on a flow bench. Never got around to making a simplified bench, and the call of the dollar let my last 3 port escape---so that's for someone younger who want's to take on a project---I would certainly be interested to know, My gut feeling is that there isn't much difference if you are talking about a street engine. I have a factory picture, in a reprinted service bulletin, that shows the difference between a '27 and a '28 head, both sectioned. Let me find it and see if I can copy it. Might help a little.

Herb

4. Kume

Kume

Interesting that non genuine single port heads were being made. This is from Chevrolet Service News September 1928.

20170703_111125.jpg

tractorguy, 6inarow and Andrew Mccann like this.
  5. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Drat! that's the pix I remember, and it's obviously the wrong subject!
    My CRAFT acting up again. (can't remember a ******* thing)
    Thank you Kume, for saving an old man from digging into his dusty archives.
    And my apologies to other's who were waiting breathlessly.

Humble Herb

6. Yes, buy genuine Chevrolet where our heads crack and keep you coming back for more, don't buy those junk aftermarket heads ;););)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Outback and 6inarow like this.
  7. Kume

Kume

Haha. yes and looking at those cross sections you have go to wonder why they abandoned the three port so early.

Outback likes this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is an idea of how the Olds head looks with a BBC valve cover. The adapter plate will attach to the head with countersunk 8-32 screws. The plate is drilled and tapped 14/20 for the cover to bolt on. I will make a two piece side cover. The top will reach the aluminum plate and the exhaust will pass through it. If I step up I will get a thick enough piece to cut fins on the lower plate which will have a lip that helps clamp the upper cover plate

Attached Files:

6inarow, ottoman and Kume like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Rich, That looks good. Here are some shots of the Fronty repo I got and a GMC I cut down. The GMC fits and looks better I think but I didn't spend enough time fitting before welding. I might try another one. They are thin and not nearly as straight as they look. The indents on the Fronty get in the way but it could work.
    170624_0002.jpg 170624_0005.jpg 170624_0006.jpg 170624_0008.jpg 170624_0009.jpg

Egor likes this.
  10. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Rich what's your rocker shaft from?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The rocker assemblies were with the engine when I bought it. They fit the bolt holes in the Olds head. I just assumed they were stock Olds rockers.The BBC valve cover is an aftermarket, cheap, stamping. But pretty sturdy. And I had it screwed to that plate for welding. I intend to incorporate a spray bar either inside the cover or maybe on top, to oil the rockers,

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    6inarow and Herb Kephart like this.
  12. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Probably just the camera angle. They don't look quite as spindly as original ones

Sent to me out of interest.
    Not mine and not a hot rod but right at home in this thread. Original Chevrolet

0712171643.jpg

0712171642.jpg

6inarow likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The rocker shaft on the Olds head is 13/16. The Chevy head i have here has a 17/32 dia. Shaft. So, yes it is quite a bit sturdier.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Still fooling with the Olds head on the Chevy. It looks like I will use the Chevy pushrods. Which have the copper socket on top. But I am missing one socket. Anyone here want to sell one or know of a source? DSCN0054.JPG

15. Kume

Kume

Doesn't Billy Possum supply new ones?

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well I don't know. But I'll find out. Thanks for the info, OK. I looked up Billy Possum from the links I found. Lots of Possum traps. And cook books. How do I find the Chevy parts?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Andrew Mccann likes this.
  17. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

anybody know the torque settings for the head on the stock engine? Thanks

18. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Rocker mystery: As per a suggestion much earlier in this thread, I decided to use Chevy Stovebolt 216 rockers on my 28 head. I bought some rockers at last year's fall Hershey show from a vendor who had a lot of 216 parts, but there weren't enough "straight" rockers there to make up a set of 8 for my 4 banger. Stovebolt parts are not especially common here in the UK, so I was lucky to be given a complete but frozen 216 motor that came out of a '49 pickup. However, while these rockers have the same shaft diameter and the same ratio, they're not the same; they're quite a bit lighter -see the picture below.

[​IMG]

Are the two bottom rockers different versions? Just wondering whether the factory upgraded from the middle rocker to the bottom one, or whether I actually bought something different (maybe 235 rockers?) at Hershey.

judder_man likes this.
  19. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

'Tight' I think was the term of the day. 50lbs is about right for a stocker

20. Stueeee,
    Looks like the bottom one is 235/261? I'd use those if you can find them- the early 4 and 216 designs tend to "bend up" after time, where the 235 rocker has that nice reinforcement.

21. Kume

Kume

Www.billypossum.com

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tractorguy likes this.
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

All right. Thanks.

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Rich if they don't have them I'll look at my parts engine. We have to keep you going!

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Got it covered. Thanks.Now I wish I had adjusters with 3/8-24 threasd and a 3/8 ball to fit the Olds rockers. The Chevy adjusters I have are 7/16-20 thread.with a .470 ball. But I can tap the Olds rockers for the Chevy adjusters.

25. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks hope to crack on over the weekend

26. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Stueeee is this an upgrade or are you missing original rockers? I have a parts engine here in UK

27. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

The idea is to use the Stovebolt rockers as an upgrade, they have the same ratio as the 4 banger ones, but have more metal in them. I am in the process of warming over (rather than properly hotting up) a motor for my 28. The "new" rockers will be working with a set of BB Olds valves in the '28 head.

28. Jiminy

Jiminy

Do you have pictures of the BB Olds valves in the '28 head? Or did you already post that and I forgot?

29. David Luttrull

David Luttrull

I'm dropping a more modern engine into my 26 Touring, I have a 28 engine and multiple parts I wouldn't mind liquidating..... central Indiana. Engine is still in the car, I think a couple extra heads.....

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In the end i decided against the rockers shown in post 1958, above. Went back with stock rockers but had to make stands for the Olds head. Now I need to drill and tap the head for the stands and plug the old holes. So if anyone wants the other rockers and shafts, contact me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017