Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you prefer a steel 31 coupe or a glass 32 five window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 3, 2017.

1. I would need a quarter to toss. I have a Corvette and model A coupe. Nether are the way they came from the factory. Both are {HOT RODs}! What I don't have is a 32! So as long as it's built the way I would want it. Low, Loud, and can smoke the tires! I don't care how it came from the factory really. I changed my mind, I don't need a quarter. But what I do need is a 32! and glass is OK.;) lol

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. GeeRam

GeeRam

It would be the 'glass 32 for me, purely, because at my age, with a f**ked spine, I just don't fit in an A coupe :(

If I was 25+ years younger I'd likely choose the steel A.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Love the 32 but you can't say anything but cool on a bitchen model a coupe.

Attached Files:

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Steel even though I prefer 32s above all others.
    A fiberglass body can make a perfectly nice rod maybe even a cool one.
    But for me the main factor in a "time machine", "traditional", and "period hot rod" is the real original tin. This is the antique factor that is mostly responsible for the "cool" and "soul" that is much harder to accurately describe than with simple air quotes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. mountainman2

mountainman2

Would the passion still be as high if the "steel" A was 75% re-pop panels?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Ha ha ha good question but you can find a nice solid one and I have one with nice old blue paint

7. BJ1

BJ1

I have a 31 steel 5 window. You can pick up a steel 32 5 window for a good price if you look around, in my opinion no reason to go glass.

Sent from my D6616 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Steel Model A. Bob

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. 5window

5window

Blasphemous, but I actually prefer the '31 over the '32, so it's an easy choice for me. Must be why I like the 5 window Deuce better than the 3 window version. I am convinced that the 3 window is more popular because the doors are wider and the average American who can afford a Deuce can't fit into a 5 window. :)

continentaljohn likes this.
  10. Erwin

Erwin

Often the windshield and firewall are two zones to ID a glass deuce pretty quick. Fixing those spots to Henry spec if they need it goes a long way to up the cool factor. If the accuracy of all the rest of the body-lines is good, you can have a potentially neat car. On the other hand, a '30-'31 certainly has the potential, too. I think I'd be happier with a good steel A vs. the glass '32.

11. I would settle. LOL

one of the problems with an original 'Vette is that they are heavy. A '59 is a 3,000 pound car. Built in steel it could have lost a couple of hundred easy and in aluminum I'll bet you can shave 700 or so off that. ;)

Granted a 3,000 pound car is not all that heavy but when you consider that it is a two seater it should be a real lightweight.

OK I took it off the rails sorry for the inconvenience. ;)

My A sedan will be around 33.3% repop panels unless I find another sedan that spent its life on its top. :D

I am not sure about the windshield, I would have to study that one a bit but the firewall is easy for me, I seldom use a stock firewall when I build, '60s kid here. :D

I don't know about the glass body in question but back in the '90s when Red Neck Street Rods was located in Atichson, KS, Wayne was building a 5 window with a very mild chop that you would be hard pressed to tell from an original, firewall and all. Rare to find a "perfect" glass body but not all glass deuces are created equal. ;)

12. Erwin

Erwin

Stock firewall isn't the only way to go for a '32 but they've grown on me quite a bit. Back when I was a teenager I probably would've went more for a flat chrome or stainless steel version. Some of the glass manufacturers have their own signature version unlike what you'd likely see on a steel deuce.

13. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Depends who has worked on either before... I've seen steel cars sculpted with inch thick bondo and seen glass cars that looked like a kindergarten art project... would depend on the car. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. There's something about working on a car that is 60, 70, 80+ years old: SOUL. Any real, old, steel car is cooler than a new plastic anything, any day of the week.

Glass '32s can be made to look cool and I've known one or two that I can think of that were a blast to ride around in, but IMO glass '32s are like the brand new Cudas, Vettes and Challengers etc. I might drive the hell out of it, but if you can buy it out of a catalogue or a showroom (even if it's powerful and fun and cool looking) it's just not real.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not if we stop making such a fuss over it :cool:
    My vote is the 32...and I wouldn't apologize to anyone! :D

16. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

I think the general consensus is steel, however consider this ask yourself a few questions as I did before a build or purchase.
    What's your financial state, good or workable steel body cost more than a decent glass one. What is you comfort level, most glass bodies need little to set on the frame, doors, trunk lid, etc already hung. What look are you going for? Most companies can set you up right out of the order process with chopped tops, shaved handles etc. For me I choose the glass , the car is for my wife I felt it would be a safer , all around better car for her to I could feel confident with her in it and driving it. Plus tell me this isn't a badass ride.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and robracer1 like this.
  17. vanislander

vanislander

<<<<<< Please refer to profile picture. (mostly steel)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. This sounds very much like what I was going to post.:cool: So that was easy.:rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  19. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

32 5-window for me.

LM14 and Splitbudaba like this.
  20. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Deuce please.

21. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know Danny, ya sound like the guy at a car show...there's a thread about that, right? :)

What ya want=what you can afford.

Regardless of the outcome, both are nice in the owners eye.

Heck,how many critics are here on the HAMB, saying what they would do on that steel '32, while driving their Beemer to work, and just have a '63 Chevy PU outback that's "gonna be good some day"

I've neither a '32 or an A, but if they fell in my lap, whether plastic or steel,I'd hang onto them.

TomT likes this.
  22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Sorry to burst your bubble here mate, but that windshield is an "awning window".:D
    [Clecos don't make the best door latches either]

Cool Car Mate....... Cooler than a fridge full of beer

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I normally don't get angry at "Car People" but the "KIT CAR" comment is the MOST ASININE comment that can be made. I have 4 years of BLOOD, SWEAT, TEARS, and ANGER in my Glass 32. I engineered/built the chassis, cut the rear end to length, scrounged for parts, MADE many parts I could have bought off the shelf MYSELF because I wanted to learn. Did all the body work myself (girlfriend helped a couple days). There is NOTHING about my car that is a KIT. And the first JERUSALEM CRUISER wearing GOLD CHAINER that calls my car a KIT CAR is going to have their EYE DOTTED!!!! By both my Dad and I. Without his help and knowledge this car would have been just a DREAM.
    [​IMG]
    pic upload
    P.S. The GLASS ABOMINATION above will have the full hood put back on when all the bugs are worked out, with BODY LINES that make Henry Ford JEALOUS.

24. Budget36

Budget36

Why you so ugly;) ?

25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A few more examples of killer model a coupes.
    On the glass body note, I was at a show over the weekend and a running driving 3w with a glass gibbons body 351 c6 and full fendered with beautiful paint but dated wheels and drive her home for 25 obo . I am sure the owner had a ton more into it....

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Henry didn't build glass 32s so it's just a look alike car.

27. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Now that's just a stupid comment no better argument ?

5window, mediumriser and robracer1 like this.
  28. robracer1

robracer1

The biggest problem is Henry did not build enough 32 Fords, then if you take in consideration all the 32's that got wreaked, raced , neglected and just rusted away there's not a lot left! So thank goodness for glass 32's

29. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

So I'm confused. U do like it or don't blue one?

chryslerfan55 and robracer1 like this.
  30. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I wonder if the Corvette forum has a thread "would you prefer a 'glass Corvette or a steel Corvette"?

Runnin shine likes this.