Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 engine year id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Sep 2, 2017.

1. guys took these numbers off pad by distributer on what i believe is 235 engine F413B can anyone decode these? thanks!:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. update on numbers on engine JAD903698

3. squirrel

squirrel

B was a 235 w/powerglide in a car. for several years, like 57-early 60s. The non-leading zero date code 413 (not 0413) means it was probably from 57 or earlier, I forget what year they started adding the zero.

JA is a 1939 master deluxe.

more info on the motor you provide, the more likely we are to figure it out. look for casting numbers near the starter, should be two different sets of numbers, one long one (the block casting number), one short one that starts with a letter followed by two to four numbers (the date)

4. thanks squirrel! i have the guy working on those numbers, trying to confirm its a 235, the guy claims engine is a 1951 vintage. he is putting in a newer vintage 235, i told him a compression test with engine cold before anything moves foward is a must. truck is 175 miles round trip from me so until engine coming out is in a certain condition before wasting any fuel and time towards obtaining it. i already have a handful of dead ones.

5. squirrel

squirrel

pictures of the engine are really helpful, also. Things like the pushrod cover (if it covers the head it's a 216) and water pump location (big round hole in the block is 55-later) will give you some quick clues what it is.

6. lowrd

lowrd

In addition to squirrels advice, check inliners international site, it has a section with casting numbers.

7. i don't have engine or i would have pictures posted. here is pictures of engine.

Attached Files:

8. squirrel

squirrel

not much detail in those pics. Does the side cover go over the side of the head? it looks like it, but not easy to tell from such a small picture.

9. should have more pictures of casting numbers from behind starter next couple of days, i kinda think it might be a 216, usually guys post the info in the "FOR SALE" ad. In the past poor info in a ad usually means to me someone is trying to pull a fast one but that's just me and past experience, can be a real time waster. Thanks so far for your input!

10. oops!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. squirrel

squirrel

ok...now I'm confused. The casting number on a 216 or 235 should be near the starter, that's on the pass side, and it's not really near the bellhousing flange. Maybe he's talking about a completely different engine, such as a V8?

12. your right squirrel,that last post i deleted was for a different forum!