Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I've decided to name her Gertrude. (My snails pace '54 Customline build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowdownfab, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After selling my '53 Mainline 5 years ago, I immediately regretted it. The car seemed to disappear(I looked for it, wanting to purchase it back). I ended up purchasing this '54 Customline and drove it 3.5 hours home from Jacksonville.
    Well, that's when life got in the way. I had a child(beautiful little girl), went back to school and started a new career as a machinist.
    The '54 sat, and sat, and sat.(clutch rusted to flywheel, brakes froze up). Now I'm starting to have some time to play with it, but it's still a slow go.
    The car has a 302 out of a '69 mustang that runs pretty good, and a factory 3 speed manual in it.
    List of parts I already own & am in process of installing.......
    Speedway 12 circuit wire harness
    5 speed manual trans
    8.8 rearend w/ disc brakes
    Granada spindles & brakes
    Complete new suspension & steering components.
    Fuel cell
    Brake & fuel lines
    Brake master cylinder
    "Under dash" clutch master cylinder
    El Cheapo Dolphin gauges
    New(to me) hood hinges
    Water & fuel pump

I'm sure there's more. I have tons of parts for this thing. I want to make it a reliable driver.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

I also bought a nearly complete '54 parts car too. I've got 3 spare hoods, 2 extra sets of fenders & enough interior trim to do 3 cars.

3. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Reamed lower balljoint holes at the shop on Tuesday & gave the spindles a fresh coat of Por15 today after work.

Baby steps.

4. evintho

evintho

Ohh, I'll be watching this one! Luv the stance! My toy in waiting................

[​IMG]

quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Good looking car

The altitude on my car is still going to get some serious adjustment. Between the spindles, Jamco springs & control arm spacers, I'm hoping for about 4.5 or 5" lower in the front. I'll do a combination of blocks and leafs in the rear to match, once I see how low the front sits.
    Either way, there will definitely be some driveshaft tunnel modifications in the near future & more than likely a small frame notch.

6. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My old '53 was pretty hammered. I'd like to get the '54 at a similar height, but hopefully a better ride than the '53. The previous owner hacked the springs, and it rode like hell.

quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG]
    Jamco coils & lower control arm spacers.
    [​IMG]
    Reverse mount underdash clutch master

8. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Came home from work today and figured I'd start pulling apart the front end before the rain rolls in.
    Managed to get passenger side about 1/2 way apart before the sky opened up on me.
    Years of grease, grime and oil caked up made for a fun time of chiseling just to FIND the cotter pins & castle nuts. Lol.

9. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

So while disassembling and removing the control arms this morning, I found the forward crossmember that the lower arms mount to is ROTTEN. Unsafe to drive on type of rotten.
    Not a happy camper today. Now I either need to find a donor chassis to take the crossmember out of, or cut some plate out on the waterjet and fab up a new one. Either way, this is a fairly substantial setback.

10. Great pictures and a great car. I like it (but then, what's not to like?). As for the cross member, might I suggest checking out Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake. They may have what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. That's not a uncommon problem,you can fab up a new crossmember. HRP

Lowdownfab likes this.
  12. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Yeah. I started taking some measurements today. I'll start cutting some plate at work first of the week. I'll get it fixed. Just kind of a kick in the nuts finding that when you're not expecting it. [​IMG]

13. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

14. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG]

Had a couple minutes to draw it up properly at work. Hoping to get all the pieces cut this week so I can start gluing them together this weekend. Been busy busy at work though, fingers crossed.

15. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Not really related to the build of my car, but a Pinstriping buddy of mine made me something pretty badass & I've gotta show it off. [​IMG][​IMG]

clunker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'll be watching and help if I can. I have a '53 project and have a new love these models.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Thanks. Yeah, after my first one('53 mainline), I fell in love with them. Bought the '54 because it's balljoints instead of kingpin front end. Love these cars.

18. Lemme guess, board of education?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lowdownfab likes this.
  19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Coming along nicely!

20. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

[​IMG]

Knocked out a couple sleeves on the lathe yesterday, for the control arm bolt locations on the new crossmember. Made them flanged so I've got plenty of area to weld them in.
    3/16" plate will be cut tomorrow for the crossmember itself. Hoping to have it all together and ready to install in the car by the weekend.......if we don't get a hurricane that is.

21. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

With this hurricane heading our way I haven't done much, other than prepare for it.
    I did however finally get the 3/16" plate cut on plasma table for the crossmember. Should go together pretty easy.......if the car, house, parts, welder & tools don't blow away this weekend. [​IMG]