Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fairlane ranch wagon gas tank help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Sep 4, 2017.

1. erock805

erock805

Picked up a very clean little 64 ranch wagon this weekend. For most part, everything is now working as It should. So I pulled the gas tank to clean and blow out the fuel lines replace the rubber. The tank was dented on the top side pretty severely. Can't for the life of me understand how that would happen. These are vented systems. Further, the tank revealed a rust hole.

Did multiple searches on gas tanks. All I get is ranchero and falcons

Does mine share dimensions with any other models?

I really appreciate any help you can through my way.

2. I don't think the gas tanks will be the same. My 61 is basically a Galaxie, same wheel base, interior, etc. but I believe the tank is bigger and the sending units are different. I ended up getting my tank repaired but the shop I used is no longer in business.

3. erock805

erock805

Weird how there is soo many tanks for falcon wagons and can't find one for this ol turd

abe lugo likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Comet is the same as the Falcon, so that's a no-go. The Fairlane was all by itself in '64 (Mercury discontinued the similar Meteor the year before) so you may be looking at having a tank built if yours can't be repaired and you can't find a decent used one. Although I would try to get some dimensions on a Falcon tank; it may be 'close enough' that you could do some mods to get it to fit.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Not all that uncommon of a situation. Limted demand/production limits replacement parts. Have a OT ride that I was in same spot. Local radiator shop does Gas-Tank-Renu process that worked out good. Not cheap but, gotta do what ya gotta do. Have fun with your project.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Fairlane car gas tanks are the same from 1962 to 1965 (also Meteor 1962-63) but the wagons are different, unfortunately, and not reproduced.

Depending on your skills and motivation, you can solder up the holes yourself, observing safe procedures of course, or get it professionally done. Unfortunately the chemical cleaning process used to clean tanks before commercially repairing them removes the "terne" coating, so the tanks must then be internally coated which is not so good as the original terne.

8. erock805

erock805

Kinda my thought after soo many internet searches. Thanks to all who posted help

9. If you are going to have the Fairlane a while join up with the Fairlane club of America, there is a lot great tech info available to members as well as all the back magazine info you would ever need.

The classifieds there has a few sellers that sell only 62-64 Fairlane parts and at fair prices. They part our wagons also.

As far as the gas tank, see about having it boiled and sealed at a local radiator shop. They may also solder the rust holes if small enough.

I actually used the one of those sealers it may have been Hirsh or Kreem, it was white resin. It has held up for over 10 years. But you have to used the whole system.

erock805 and stillrunners like this.
  10. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

If you can find a Hollander interchange manual that covers your year vehicle, it will show what other tanks will interchange, other wise, I think a good radiator shop is your best bet.

11. When I got my Studebaker truck with a very "Holy" gas tank.....everyone laughed at me.....way before the internet....must have used about 10 packs of JB weld - but those repairs held about 20 years before I found a nice tank....yep most wagons are wagon only tanks.....

erock805 likes this.