Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

He was making the Willys sing tonight

2. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I don't know what he's doing with the keys, they are not for the Moonlighter. It doesn't have a key switch.

volvobrynk, loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I am kinda partial to the 1st pic, that's me towing Gene to the staging lane.

4. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The Moonlighter was definitely running last night. Gene qualified 3rd out of 15 A/G cars and ran the quickest 1/8 mile since he has been running with the Southeast Gassers. He has been wanting to get into the 5's and he finally did it.
    Capture8.JPG DSC06571 (Medium).JPG DSC06572 (Medium).JPG DSC06575 (Medium).JPG

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have said it before and I will say it again the Cromer family definitely is a class act.

6. They are the kind of people that inspire us all. HRP

7. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Danny, you should have been there! It was awesome. The ol' girl was running lean and popping, but she was haulin' ass. If Gene hadn't gone red in the 2nd round, I believe he could have beat the Silver Streak.

volvobrynk, seadog, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am with you. Silver Streak had an issue off the line and if Gene hadn't of redlighted . I think he had him covered. He put on a great show Saturday night.

Frank Taylor and loudbang like this.
  9. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The time slip said Gene won. It didn't show red, it had a .001 light and said win at the bottom. They said he got a rear wheel light.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

The Moonlighter Build on here is what reignited my love of the true Gassers. I finally made two races this year and neither was a disappointment. Mr, Cromer is one of my Heroes and I always Wish him the Best. The people such as yourself are truly blessed to know this man, his Team (Melvin) and his family. I got to meet a few of the other gasser people and all I have to say is "What a Fantastic group of people they are"!!

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for posting the pics. I''ll have to skin my ignorance here, what's a "rear wheel light" ?

12. loudbang

loudbang

Sounds like he did a wheelie and the rear wheel broke the beam. BUT once that front wheel comes up and out of the beam that should have tripped the red bulb.

enloe likes this.
  13. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

That pretty much explains all I know about it. I'm far from an expert on this, maybe Quain can explain it. We have a time slip for the scrapbook that's says .001 reaction and win at the bottom, nobody will know it was actually a red light. We had a fantastic time at BMP.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Frank,the headlight decals look like they are actually lit up! HRP

upload_2017-9-5_10-23-30.jpeg

15. greybeard360

greybeard360

I would sure like to see a video of that run. Unless that track is running a real old system with a guard beam, I don't think it is possible to come out of the stage beam without a red light. If it is a 2 beam system.... the timer starts when the car moves out of the stage beam so it wouldn't be possible to leave the line and have the rear tires break the beam.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yeah that does sound a little odd.

loudbang likes this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

My old Gasser always broke the 60Ft. lights with the back tires and jerked the wheels out of the staging beams. I never had that issue. I was looking right down the starting line and Gene obviously left a little early.

loudbang likes this.
  18. glrbird

glrbird

On some of the older systems, if the front tires go up without going forward first it will not start the clock until the rear tires break the beam. but the ET will be a lot faster than normal. Had a FED that would do that, ran one second quicker when it jumped.

loudbang likes this.
  19. frank spittle

frank spittle

It could be the .001 was a red light by one thousand of a second or almost a .000 perfect light.

loudbang likes this.
  20. greybeard360

greybeard360

I think if the time slip showed .001 and WIN for Gene... That should have stood. I would still like to see a video.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I watched the run and saw Gene move with the yellows on. He redlighted and it was a malfunction that gave him the reaction time and the win. Like I said before I was looking right across the starting line.
    I always try to position my self there so I can see the tree and the cars when I am not racing.

enloe likes this.
  22. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

To clear everything up, at this track a .400 would be a perfect reaction time for a 4 tenths pro tree. Looks like Gene left .399 too soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and enloe like this.
  23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene left just a touch before the tree was activated so no red light because the tree had not started the count down. (easy to see in person and will be in the video when it comes out) Then with perfect timing the rear wheels hit the stage beam as the tree started down. Now the computer don't know if it was the front or rear wheels in the beam so it works as normal. I have seen it happen many times with out even a red light if the timing was perfect. The dead give away is the 60 times, I'll bet Cromer had a top fuel funny car 60 foot time and his finish line ET was probably about 10th of a second to fast.
    Even a guard been can't stop this because the tree wasn't activated yet. Gene just got excited and left LOL.

24. I try and never miss the opportunity to thank Quain for all his hard work and dedication,not only with the SEG but his not taking no for a answer when he first approached Gene with the idea of resurrecting the Moonlighter and getting Gene back in the drivers seat! HRP

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Reminds me of a line from an old Waylon Jennings song:
    "That's wanting to go, Hoss":D
    Thanks to everybody that gave an explanation for what happened.

loudbang likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Old drag racing saying.
    "If you don't redlight once in a while you're not trying hard enough".

loudbang likes this.
  27. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I can't argue with that! (See this week's re-cap!)

loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Hotrodprimer, most don't even know I had anything to do with it now that's it's several years later.

seadog, pigfluxer, 62hotcat and 5 others like this.
  29. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Funny all the guys I know call it Quain's gasser group. :D

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I tried to give it away this past weekend when things were not going my way, nobody wanted it LOL. Can't blame them because if I knew what I knew now I wouldn't have it either.