Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you prefer a steel 31 coupe or a glass 32 five window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'm just curious what most people on here would say. All things being equal, would you you prefer a steel 30/31 model A coupe or a fiberglass 32 five window?

I'm not trying to start a debate on the merits of one or the other, I'm just curious to what the average HAMB member would choose.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    triman62, clunker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 6inarow

6inarow

3. I'd actually prefer a steel '32 five window. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. I vote for the steel coupe.

5. Henry steel A for me.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Steel A. :cool:
    Fiberglass is too hard to weld.

7. Fiberglass is itchy

ABONES likes this.
  8. i guess i voted for the steel A coupe.....i have one on Deuce rails in the garage

Just Gary likes this.
  9. Mo rust

Mo rust

It's an interesting question. What runs deeper, the need for real steel, preferably with it's own history whether we ever know what that history is or not or the coolness of a 32. Personally I'm in the 31 camp but I can see the other side of it too. If it can fit on a 32 frame, I'm a fan.

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

I don't like fiberglass it doesn't rust and wither away, in a hail storms in doesn't dent the body and the price is too cheap!

jimpopper, 270dodge, triman62 and 5 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm as average as the next guy and I chose Wescotts.

12. mohead1

mohead1

One of each please !
    Actually already have the Henry steel '30....but a hot rodded glass '32 wud be sweet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Budget36 and Montana1 like this.
  13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Steel Model A for me...but...I wouldn't pass up either one.

scrap metal 48 and mohead1 like this.
  14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I would go real with steel, fiberglass forever seen a kit car. Both good body styles but I'm partial to A's personally.

15. WTF really

WTF really

My vote is the steel Model A over the glass.

16. 36fordguy

36fordguy

32 glass more room and worth 3 times the money, and more after market features and goodies 36fordguy

Fordor Ron, mohead1 and Montana1 like this.
  17. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Steel '31, and I'm a Deuce guy.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Ive got a nice Model A hotrod, but always wanted a Deuce. I built it, guess Ill stick with the A.

19. Steel, but just the fact that only the glass was available, it wouldn't stop me.

micksmith likes this.
  20. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

The question you are asking could be stated "Would you rather have a real model A or a kit car that resembles a 32". I am OK with either option a person chooses as long as they re honest about it. The market place, however, puts a premium on "the real deal". I think that the majority of the H.A.M.B. Members do as well. We have all seen fiberglass bodies that look outstanding and are beautifully executed at great expense. When most hot rodders are discussing a fiberglass bodied car they usually add, at some point, "but it is a glass car". I don't think that glass cars and even steel body recreations will ever achieve the same respect as the real thing. Otherwise, the question that began this thread would be "all things being equal, would you rather have a glass 32 or a real 32? Easy answer for me.

Just Gary likes this.
  21. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Steel is real. So is mine. Except for frame, hood and grille shell that are new. But steel also.

hdman6465 likes this.
  22. I've had both and to be honest I loved them when my arse was in the seat! HRP

23. You will always have to apologize that it is glass.

24. I don't like rust... :) Every car I've ever had, rusted away while I slept, except 2.

triman62 likes this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd choose the Model A. Not because it's steel, but because I think they look better and aren't over done, compared to the Deuce.

hammerd 31, deadbeat, 283john and 5 others like this.
  26. exterminator

exterminator

Steel unless it's a vette.

scotty t, badvolvo and Just Gary like this.
  27. Mo rust

Mo rust

Fortunately both steel 31's and glass 32's are plentiful so most of us can have one or the other (or both) if we want to bad enough and I suspect that outside the HAMB, the balance between the two groups would likely be a little more evenly balanced. I'm just glad there are plenty of both so I never had to take up golf or some other hobby.

28. I am proud to say that I help host the All Deuce Run for the past few years and before that Randy Nash did the job,he had on of the nicest all steel, all real Henry Ford deuce roadsters without any repop 32 ford pieces and from the beginning the show was open to ALL 1932 Fords regardless of their origin,be real deal,fiberglass,Brookville or carbon fiber,if i looked like a Deuce it was welcome.

I have never heard anyone discourage anyone for driving whatever they were driving,the guys that show up for the run believe in driving their cars,not sitting in a parking lot and polishing them.

It's easy for anyone to be a elitist if you want to be a snob,again I like them all and if another steel Model A come down the road tomorrow at a price I could afford I would be on it like a duck on a June bug,same goes for a glass 32 Ford. HRP

steinauge, bobkatrods, BHRS and 8 others like this.