Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for Ford Experts to identify 1958 Ranchero (Rare?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Thunderbolt, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Bill Thunderbolt

Bill Thunderbolt

I came across this 1958 Ranchero for sale and cannot figure out what I am looking at. The seller thinks it is some type of prototype or concept, but I am not sure that it is maybe a put together after production car.

It looks like it has a Del Rio or Wagon tail gate and tail lamps, and the rear window looks like the rear window from a wagon.

I am trying to determine if this was a car built by a skilled body man, or an actual factory rarity.

I was able to find a photo of a clay mock up by Ford showing these tail lamps, but no other Ranchero I have seen has them.

Does anyone have any input of this? I am thinking about buying this and do not know how to establish it's value.

20170831_141602.jpg 20170831_141540.jpg 6b7c42dd1effedec42cad9cc93774bd2.png

jmac1958, exterminator and catdad49 like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looks like it was built by a skilled body man out of a Tudor ranch wagon or station wagon, the back glass and area around it looks like the upper tailgate off a wagon.

3. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with 1-Shot, the wagon tailgate window plus change in fender contour at the "D" pillar area definitely suggest a cut wagon.

clunker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

All the '58 Rancheros that I've seen had '57 taillight assemblys

302GMC likes this.

5. Bill Thunderbolt

Bill Thunderbolt

Thanks guys. Looking at this photo I tend to agree. Now I have no idea what this thing is worth. It has a 1970's 302, three speed with floor shifter, runs and drives. He is asking $4k.
    21659f928e1f9b4297e5736784ff1754.jpg

wvenfield likes this.
  6. LOL The only ones with '57 tail lights I have ever seen were on the HAMB. :D

I have never done any real research on the '58 but the few that I have run into in my time had '58 Tail lights. Pretty sure that they were not converted wagons. But like I said I have not done any real research on them.

7. Yep, it's home built. Ford didn't use the '58 car taillights on the Ranchero because it was too easy to scrape the inner taillights off if backing up with the gate down. It's also worth noting that the wagon lights are different from the car units and don't interchange.

belair and B Bay Barn like this.
  8. Well, dang, beaner. I don't often see you wrong, but maybe this time? Just googled 1958 Ford ranchero and all of them have '57 tail lights. A bunch on Classic Cars. com as well. My day is ruined!:p

Ben

9. Steve I always bank your Ford posts, you already know that you are my go to guy when it comes to Ford stuff ( except for very early stuff then its Bruce). .

What I started to say is that in '68 when I moved to Forest Grove there was a '58 Ranchero for sale, it was Betsy Brown. It had '58 lights and the old guy who was selling it swore that it was a one owner. It was a Y block automatic car as I recall and I really wanted it. It was still for sale when I left the state.

Not an argument just throwing that out there.

I said that just for you. But it is true, until I joined the HAMB the only '58s I ever remember seeing had '58 Lights (maybe I always figured that the '57 tail light cars just had '58 front clips). I guess it would not be that hard to convert them but I cannot for the life of me imagine why you would, I like the '58 front clip real well, but the '57 rear is way cleaner in my opinion. ;)

10. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Well, dang, beaner. I don't often see you wrong, but maybe this time? Just googled 1958 Ford ranchero and all of them have '57 tail lights. A bunch on Classic Cars. com as well. My day is ruined!:p

Ben[/QUOTE]
    Haha Ben: don't worry, Beaner will still be the go to guy.

firstinsteele likes this.
  11. It looks like it was custom built, not factory. Doesn't make it a bad thing at all. As for value, I think its worth is based on overall condition and mechanicals. How is the body in general? Does it run and drive or need to have it all redone?

To me that is how I would determine value.

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I agree with the others, looks custom. Looks well done from those pics.
    If it has the data plate, the body code for Ranchero is 66 and wagon is 59.

13. Bill Thunderbolt

Bill Thunderbolt

It runs and drives, the manual transmission is leaking from the front seal, so it needs repair. The floors were "fixed" with thin sheet metal and tar paper, no interior except for the 1978? style seat. Needs a battery, tires, and of course paint. Pretty solid car over all, what you would expect from a car from this era that was thrown together 30-40 years ago and then just maintained in that state.

14. jmac1958

jmac1958

I now own this 58, here’s how it looks after doing some work on it. Still a rat rod, but cool nonetheless.... IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0300.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think it's pretty cool....

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

did the original poster ever buy the car? 4Gs sounded good to me

loudbang likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is a resurrected old thread, but I have a couple of thoughts. First, I think removing the grille bars (like the first one here) is a huge improvement. Second, unless that was a complete "Bondo Bucket", I'd be all over it for 4G's.

loudbang likes this.
  18. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

All 1958 Rancheros had taillights from the '57 Ranchero. The tail light lens were interchangeable
    with all '57 Fords including the Thunderbird, but the tail light doors were Ranchero only.

loudbang likes this.