Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox Ford questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zzford, Sep 1, 2017.

1. zzford

zzford

I'm interested in possibly building a shoebox Ford. I'm looking at a 1950 coupe that needs some patch panels. I have looked online, but the selection seems pretty limited. Any suggestions? Additionally, the front suspension is pretty much wiped out. I know that Fatman's offers a frame stub with a Mustang II front end, but I want to explore all the options. Anybody that can recommend an alternative? A front clip maybe? Thanks, guys.

2. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Limited panels? What are you needed that you don't see? Between EMS and others you should be covered.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. zzford

zzford

Thanks for the info. I don't know why EMS didn't come up on my search. It looks like have EVERYTHING!

4. Jugornot

Jugornot

Shoebox Central

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Why buy poorly made patch panels when you can make your own poorly fitting panels?

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In addition to Fatman's look at Jamco for suspension parts.

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

try the video's to the ems guy

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just an easier way to go modern without the hassle of changing the front clip. https://www.performanceonline.com/1949-56-FORD-CAR/

9. zzford likes this.
  10. I found a '51 convertible that had just had the front suspension and steering all rebuilt and then the owner clipped the car. The owner gave me all the new stuff for my 49. I flipped the spindles, heated and bent the steering arms which shortened them a little..made for quick steering. I bolted in a 70s trans am/Z-28 1.25" front stabilizer bar and used radial tires. That thing would corner like a 'vette! I totally loved the way it drove and I kept the original steering geometry.
    These are narrow cars. If I was going to swap the front clip, I'd be looking at GM,G-body or S-10 pickup clips. Front steer F-body [Camaro/Firebird] clips are too wide, even with negative offset wheels. Maybe somebody can chime in regarding rear steer nova/camaro , drum brake clips...the narrowest of the F-body clips.
    My 49:
    Rockybox.jpg

s55mercury66 likes this.
  11. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If you need a lot of patch panels you will probably need body mounts etc. This adds up to many hours and many$. I have been through this scenario, never again. There are lots of good shoeboxes to be found. You might want to consider looking further a field for a better car to start on. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck with your project

12. Well being Rocky asked for more clip info here's mine. About as easy as it gets in my book. 70 Nova clip no cut coils or dropped spindles. I prefer the rear mount steering box. It let's you run a stock core support and factory Rad. so no front tin work. The front mount steering gears mean modifying core support and sheet metal and some kind of custom Rad.
    51 Project 005.jpg
    This is the Disc brake unit. Here it is after 14 years of 60K happy miles. No I did not narrow the Clip or add narrowed A-Frames. I'm running 14" GM wheels.
    20160624_160403.jpg
    Here's the happy little small block. Notice NO electric fan. You probably already have heard me say I HATE electric fans in Hot Rods.
    51 Vicky 010.jpg
    My 51 automatic steering column is connected to a 700-R-4 and no one is the wiser, except you guys here on the H.A.M.B. This car is all home built right here in my Drive Way.
    51 Vicky 002.jpg
    The Wizzard

13. zzford

zzford

Thanks, Guys. Your info has been invaluable.