Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So Stupid Car tricks how many did them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jul 27, 2017.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I hit those straight on once. Quite surprising. Fortunately the 44" tires rolled right over them, no damage, even though I just about put my head through the roof.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the small world department, the last time I did this was in the winter after a big snow at the Kmart between DeKalb and Sycamore! I hit the bumpers dead on in my Fiat 128 sedan while getting up to speed for another set of hand brake donuts. The impact threw every tool I had in the trunk out of the box. What a mess. It also bent both lower front control arms. Probably in Jan / Feb of 1975. Gary

els and David Gersic like this.
  3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Had a friend in HS who was into ham radio, HiFi, and drag racing. He used to go to the track with a trunk load of sound recording stuff, reel to reel stuff and set up at the starting line. Most of the stuff was stock gassers and altereds. Rudy had a 61 Rambler Classic Four door, the beige bomber is it was affectionately called. So one Friday after school I drive by Rudy's place and the bomber is up on blocks with the front wheels off. So I stop to see what's up.
    Rudy says he is putting thru the fender headers on. So I look at him with the WTF look, and he explains his headers. Two each PA speakers tucked up out a the way and wired up to a home built amp and small tape player. Add in his personal mix of drag racing sounds, and the beige bomb was ready for the stop light drags. There was a bit of an impromptu racing scene where you would pull up to the light give a nod and square off vs the guy in the other lane.

Well sat night he and I and two friends took off to test the Ramblers mettle against some of the local street demons. He asked me to drive while he ran the electronics from the pass seat. We pull up on two guys in a 57 Chieftain. He revs the Pontiacs motor and looks over at us like Who are these twerps in the Rambler. Rudy in corks the headers, and I tell the guys to rock the car to the noise. The guys in the Poncho go nuts wondering what's up. The light turns green and the streak off to squeeling tires and black streaks, we pull back up to them at the next light. So they want to know what's up with our car. Of course we can't show them as it would kill the mystique. We had several weekends of fun before word got out we we pikers just sucking them into tearing up their tires. Roomba, rooooom baaa, rooooombaaaaaa!

Cosmo49, czuch, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  4. Frank, we did the same thing except with a mini Miller beer bottle.We all used to hang out at a shopping center with all of our cars and drink beers. The cops were usually pretty cool with that. Our friend had a 62 chevy Impalla and you know the mufflers were near the front of the exhaust systems them. Well his exhaust end at the muffler and he had made a side pipe for it coming out around the drivers door. While he was drinking and yacking my brother put a mini Miller in his exhaust and kicked in in with his shoe so it was wedged in there tight. Cops came and said o.k. guys time to break it up. We all started our cars except this one guy He couldn't get his Impalla to start. The local cop came over and asked him what the problem was .He said I don't know and kept pumping the gas and trying to start it. Well he got it started with a big BOOM{it split the muffler} and that beer bottle came shooting out and nailed the cop right in the shin. We were all down the road a little cracking up. Then the Impalla guy showed up and said the cop was so pissed he wrote him a ticket. LOL;.GOOD TIMES you couldn't get away with that now a days. Bruce.

Clay Belt and els like this.
  5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This is one of my dad's stories,
    So dad's first car was a'59 Austin he bought for $75. One day my grandfather drove it and sailed through a stop sign when the brakes failed. Grandpa decided dad needed a "safer" car and he was about to buy a new car for himself so he made my dad a great deal instead of trading in his Plymouth, and sold dad a nice Belvedere.
    So Friday night dad and the Plymouth end up in a competition to see who can lay rubber all the way up this steep hill and the belvedere goes home with a window in the block. Luckily dad had a friend at the local wreckers who supplied a replacement engine, but a 440.
    So dad and his friends get the 440 stuffed in the Plymouth on Saturday and back on the road, no reason to tell grandpa what happened.
    About a week later grandma had taken the new car to the store so grandpa borrows the belvedere, backs out of the driveway and lays rubber for a whole block.
    Later he asked dad how he got the old Plymouth to run so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay Belt, Budget36, els and 2 others like this.
  6. I have never done anything stupid in a car. Perfect driver I am. :D

czuch, els, seadog and 1 other person like this.
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Saved all that stuff for the truck? o_O

els, mctim64 and SR100 like this.
  8. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Not yet, ..... but I might now

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You've never done anything stupid in a car... and posted it on a public forum.;)

els likes this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in a small central valley town in the late 50's-early 60's. There was a local airport with a few small planes parked around. After all summer and early fall there would be a lot of dirt/dust on the asphalt. When the 1st rain came we would go out there and spins donuts as it was slick as snot. One night we went out and were doing our usual when one of the guys from Madera kinda lost it and took a good portion of the tail off of a small piper or Taylor craft. We all left rather quickly and I don't think they ever figured out who did it. Right after that we all got stopped when cruisin main and the cops looked our cars over closely for any signs of damage. Guy who did it was never caught. We never went out there to spin donuts again-went to cotton gin lots instead.

11. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the early 70's I had to walk to junior high and passed by a house about 6 blocks from my house that had a 58 impala wagon sitting next to the house sunk in the mud. One day I seen an old man out side so I stopped and asked if it was for sale. He said sure if you got $50 you can have it. I guess he thought I would never come up with that kind of money, I saved every dollar I made mowing grass and had it by end of summer. By buddy and I took the battery out of my dads car and put it up on the seat of my bicycle and rolled the bike like a cart for the 6 blocks to see the old man. He looked at us like we were crazy. He said well lets see if it will start. It did and we had to bumper jack it up put wood under the tires to get it out of the dirt. Then the old man handed me the title and said wait minute are you old enough to drive? I was only 15 so I quick pointed to my buddy that was younger than me and said "No but he is" the old man said well ok now get this pile of junk out of my yard.
    We had a blast with that old Chevy, I had to park it on the street between my buddy's house and mine we both told our parents it belonged to the other or else we could never have kept it. Never did get a battery we had to "borrow" a battery every time we wanted to drive it. Got caught one time my parents came home early and my dad tried to start his car we just pulled up and quick told my dad we needed to use it just to jump start the ol Chevy. That car lasted a year for us we snuck everyone into the drive in theater in that wagon just put some old tires in the back everyone laid flat under them, the guy at the theater never caught on but probably thought I was weird always going to the movies alone. Ha Ha

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A guy in a car club I belonged to was a perfectionist about his car.
    Anywhere we went he had to polish every part on the car and I mean everything.
    Took him a hour to be satisfied things were clean after a 2 hour drive to a show.
    One weekend we were staying at a resort,no show just a group outing.
    Someone brought a small whistle device with a expanding ring that when inserted in a tail pipe
    would produce a high pitch squeal similar to either a loose belt or a bearing going bad on a water pump or alternator.
    Sunday morning we were all headed out to breakfast and Mr.Perfection fired up his ride and it whistled. Engine shut off then restarted.Still whistled. The rest of us went to town for breakfast and came back later to find the alternator torn apart and the fan off the car. Both items neatly laying on towels to protect them. We had to find a auto parts store so he could get a alternator rebuild kit.
    After inspecting the water pump and rebuilding the alternator he fired up his car and the whistle was still there.
    By now he is in panic mode as he couldn't find the whistle.
    Mind you he never went to the back of the car to see if the noise came from there.
    At that point we told him about the whistle and removed it.
    Don't think he talked to any of us for 5 years.I guess he didn't see the humor in it we did.

13. My mom said I could use her 55 olds one night. I picked up my buddy, Jim and we went to the next town over to check out some girls. That didn't work out so we were cruising up this hill with long black marks going up it. Jim says I should make some long marks too so I power braked the olds but couldn't get the brand new snow tires to burn more than 5 feet. I drove up to the top and came flying down the hill and yanked the park brake on, whipping the wheel. We turned around to check our work whan we heard thump-thump-thump....doh! I flat spotted one of the new snow tires my dad just had installed that afternoon. I didn't get to drive the car for 3 months. 55olds.jpg

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  14. Some tips for the "don't get mad, get even" files- when someone is an arseclown and deserves a plate of cold revenge-
    A carp wired to the exhaust pipe smells nice for a while
    Limberger cheese squished into the plenum chamber imparts a long-lasting fragrance when the fresh air vent is open.
    New car exterior door handles (the ones you cant see behind ) make a handy hiding place for a wee bit of dog poo.
    Stones in the hubcaps
    Swap 2 plugleads around
    Cigarette filters in the gas tank...
    All these gags are best done when you're a teenager.......or under the cover of darkness....

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My last "event " was at Daytona Bike Week , years ago . I was scootin on a Hand Jammin big inch Pan . We were sitting on US1 , watchin some entering ladies dance . I will not sniff a bottle cap of beer while ridin on my scoot . We exited the bar. Headed to the Cabbage Patch, a guy pulls up with a girl and his new 103 cube, looks over at the hand jammer and snickers . I ask him " Top Cat , will it run ? " Well shit is on then , light changes, I was out ahead of him by 2 days , between 2 houses sit the locals on bikes . As I blast past on go the lights , out they come . One stalls , I am so far out in front of them I pull over and am sitting on the curb waiting for him to arrive . He walks up and I could see my face reflection in his riding boots . First thing he says " turn it off " . So I did . He asks " the other Harley didn't do so well did it ? " I ask who your partner ? He then starts chucklin " no the guy you left the light with !" I answered " don't have a clue what your talkin about ." He proceeds to tell me , I clocked you at 91 in a 45 . I say "can't be it will not run that fast , I have tried 73 is it ! " He chuckled again and says "Hell if you ride a hand shifter that well , and your not drunk , just slow the damn loud ass thing down and get the hell out of here . " Finally his partner pulls up , a young kid starts looking at the Pan . Never seen a hard tail , kick start , hand jammer . They looked it over , said be safe and exited . It took me 15 minutes of strokin the flooded bastard over to get it fired . I forgot to turn off the gas when he said "shut it off " once it lit I was done for the evening , headed to the house for the night . I'm too old and way more brains to ride that way anymore , but what memories to share with my grandkids ! Maybe I shouldn't share that .

wicarnut, els, Cosmo49 and 2 others like this.
  16. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

Met a good buddy who ran a small car lot when he answered the ad I ran for a set of
    slightly damaged street hemi headers. Sure had fun installing them. Me and the great Sandhu were
    doing it in the back of the local machine shop one night. Suddenly the quiet was broken by the
    sound of a car broad sliding in the gravel quickly followed by flashing red lights and some
    very well done animal noises from the cop car PA. At first I thought they were after me
    for absolutely cleaning the clock of some Benz pilot on the way over to the machine shop
    with the slightly OT Belvedere, but it was, in fact, the newest member of the local detachment
    who knew the Great Sandhu because his wife was a police dispatcher.

This absolute character had been undercover in various scrapes for a number of years but
    the suits accused him of overdoing it one night when he was ambushed by some D bag
    with a rifle. In response, he fired 5 warning shots which all went through the D bag's heart
    which they claimed was excessive so for the first time, there he was in uniform in a small town.

Later when we road tested the new headers, he rode in the back and really enjoyed
    the idea of grabbing third gear at about 80 [it was geared 3.54] and letting the hemi
    wind out.

Sadly, they quickly moved him on when one of the small town's spoilt punks, let's call
    him Z-28, whose dad was a big shot tried smarting him off after being stopped for suspicion
    of drugs.

After one too many wisecracks, the cop went nuts and did the drug cop choke hold thing to stop
    him from swallowing and bounced him off a wall a few times. He also did standup
    at a few places in the city and could have you pissing your pants in a few minutes with
    jokes, etc. A man's man.

I got sidetracked, sorry, I was going to tell the one about the cellophane wrapper and the F-250.

Clay Belt, els and Cosmo49 like this.
  17. Back in the 70's a bunch of good mates and I had a large warehouse that we used as a work shop. There were the odd hanger on but this one guy ''Bob'' wouldn't take the hint to piss off..............SO, I cut a 3''wide piece of inner tub and wired it to the rear of his drive shaft ( making sure it couldn't contact brake or fuel lines) the used some masking tape to wrap it around the drive shaft. it would give a vibration that gets one concerned and the centrifugal force would tear the tape. The result felt like the back of the car was flying apart and the noise!!! He never came back. JW

18. Another trick we got up to was to do a burn out in road tunnels on a frosty night, the smoke stayed there for hours. JW

els, belair and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Those great big nylon zip ties they use on the HVAC soft duct work put on a pretty good show wrapped around your good buddy's driveline..........so I've been told.

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I remember sticking a piece of 1/4" steel rod through the rear U-joint of a guys car who was a real painintheass. Made one hell of a noise and took a fair bit of effort to remove after it got wrapped around the drive shaft.

els and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I grew up in a college town, and the old downtown in Athens, Ohio had upwards of 20 bars in a 3 block stretch. On weekend nights, there would be people lined up on the sidewalk to get into the more popular ones. A good friend had some windshield squirters mounted to the plates for his hood pins, and a separate washer tank and pump connected to them. Great fun until he made a continuous shot one night, and got caught at the next red light. We also would use fire extinguishers, but figured out they looked a lot like a .22 rifle pointing at you when someone

els likes this.
  22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

When someone hosed us down one night.

els likes this.
  23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Never trust kids that ride up on 10 speeds and want to test drive a car.
    The rail road tracks were on a very high berm right by the post office. It was a classic "Whoop de do".
    We took a fiat POS and decided to do the whoop de do.
    We had no idea of physics and had only seen General Lee.
    There wasn't a thought of them going through Chargers like they were free.
    We hit this at about 40. Major sky.
    The body flex made the windshield pop out and go skittiling into the Post Office parking lot.
    Couldn't run off and leave it so, wide eyed, we parked and picked it up and it just wouldn't go back in.
    We set it there real good and carefully drove back to the lot.
    I got on my bike and went North, Joe got on his bike and went South.

Clay Belt, els and Cosmo49 like this.
  24. Don't even get me started on snow. :D

A friend and I were out in western Kansas after a pretty serious snow storm drift busting in this old Pontiac. There was a large drift in the road that we hit at speed which hurled us into a stubble field. He kept driving and got us back on the road. Turned out that the drift was inhabited by a Volkswagon bug.

25. pireaux

pireaux

Back in about 1972 I grabbed a ride with a guy who had just got out of the Navy. I was 16 and thought his 59 Galaxie was cool without mufflers. We were riding down a farm to market road outside San Antonio. He saw a car coming toward us down that flat stretch of road. He said "watch this" and began to pour on the speed. As we approached the other car, my buddy turned the engine off and coasted for a while. He then puts his left arm out the window and points his finger forward with thumb up. He has me hold the wheel straight while he turns the ignition on. When the car backfires he bends his left arm like he fired a pistol. The guy we just passed runs out into the weeds, does a quick u turn and comes after us. The Navy guy knows folks nearby, runs the car into a friends garage, slams the door quickly and we go inside the house and look out the window. We laughed so hard, thinking that guy must have sxxt his pants. But we also knew he would probably kill us if he could catch us. I walked home several miles the next day because I didn't want to get caught riding with the Navy guy in a pink and white 59 Galaxie that he had bought from an old lady. I never rode with that guy again, fun but crazy as hell!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

czuch and els like this.
  26. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Man, I've got a couple good ones, unfortunately no car involved is H.A.M.B. Friendly,
    Thanks for sharing, a blast to read

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  27. trollst

trollst

All the guys in the Vancouver area can identify.....George Massey tunnel, T bucket, old tired 350, slow right down near the entrance, stuff it into second and literally wail my way through the tunnel. Scare the living shit outta everybody in their cages, to see a flat black T coming at you with fire coming out of the pipes and a maniac behind the wheel, got many a thumbs up, never got caught.

Clay Belt, czuch, els and 1 other person like this.
  28. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Ha! That's a great visual!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  29. Neighborwood

Neighborwood

All the Auto shop guys kept company at San Bernardino Valley College parking lot, south of campus, for lunch. 1966 Christmas everyone told of their two week projects during the break. Well Doug had a Honda 305 dream. He and a buddy were porting the head, matching the pipe and tuning the pipes with a positive cone.
    Well January comes we are all back and Doug has an ear to ear grin,"you won't believe it" says he. Hop on and (No protection at all) I did.
    The east side of campus had a three block street with no stop signs. Doug hits third gear and is running near 8,000 rpm he turns around and says watch this. When it hit 8,000 the engine twisted to 11,000 rpm with no extra throttle. Talk about a fantastic broad band tune. He is still grinning turned to me, my eyes are split from the spedo 80 mph + and the four way stop ahead. You can imagine the scream from the straight pipes. Some how he stopped it.

els likes this.
  30. toml24

toml24

In the 1950's there was a TV show called "You Asked for it.". Lot of silly stuff like being struck with an arrow fired from bow. The big-ticket event was landing a small plane on top of a moving car. I was real young and thought for sure there was going to be a horrible accident. The stunt worked very well as the plane settled on the platform built above the car as both sped down a runway. I was scared out of my mind and was very relieved when it was over

els likes this.