Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln to Mercury fender swap?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ace Brown, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey all.
    I've had this 1950 Lincoln (baby, not the Cosmo) for a long time. As long as I've had it, I've never been a big fan of the front end. Kind of like a shark with an underbite. Anyhow, the wheelbases on a Lincoln are roughly 3-4" longer than the Mercury's. Has anyone ever swapped the fenders/hood/etc on a Lincoln with a Merc? Getting the bug to finally work on her again after a long hiatus.

2. desotot

desotot

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    koolkemp likes this.
  3. I just happen to have a Body Shop Master manual that will cover each specific body panel. I can look tomorrow and see if the Firewall and B post are the same as Merc.
    The Wizzard

rodncustomdreams and Ace Brown like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be easier to customize the front end to your taste. You could extend the fenders with 52 Merc headlight rings as they did on so many customs in the fifties. Add a different grille. It would be easier than changing the whole front end, shortening the wheelbase etc.

The longer wheelbase and front end is going to make it look better anyway especially if you lower it.

Unless you really, really want a stock Mercury. In that case it would be easier to sell it and buy a Mercury.

cretin likes this.

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified my reasoning I guess...This is all just a hypothetical at this point, more out of curiosity, but I may consider using the front half of the Merc on the Lincoln fenders. I like the longer hood/front, but that face is just not my favorite (google it if you're unfamiliar). The car is lowered, nosed, decked, shaved, bumper guards removed etc. Also runs a 429 caddy. I'll post a photo at some point here. I had planned on changing the headlights/bumper/grille regardless. I was considering 55/56 Olds rings, a 53 Plymouth bumper, and 54 pontiac grille, or something along those lines. Nothing set in stone. You can't beat the Merc's front end though. It's a great starting point. And, I never said anything about wanting a stock Merc, Rusty.

6. Sounds like working with what you have is the easiest route. I'm not sure what's behind that upper Grill bar but if your going Merc style I just happen to have a 51 Merc grill surround I would part with. I like what your thinking. I'm a big fan of the 54 Pontiac grill also just not so much in the Merc's. I like the 55 Desoto grill in the Merc opening better. Just a personal thing ya know.
    The Wizzard

7. Squablow

Squablow

The fenders will bolt to the firewall but like you said, the wheelbase is too long, I do know of one local guy with a Merc on one of those Lincoln frames which had been shortened accordingly.

I like your idea of keeping the Lincoln length and just grafting the fender sections into the Lincoln fenders to get the Mercury headlight and wheel opening shapes, and maybe reskin the hood with a Mercury hood to get the Merc hood profile as well, would work good with a Mercury grille shell.

I have a pair of rough Merc front fenders and a hood skin that would be pretty ideal to chop up for such a thing if you were interested, I'd sell them cheap just to see this happen (I had a couple baby Lincolns already and thought of the same thing) I also have some grille shell pieces and some other Merc stuff that might be useful.

rodncustomdreams and koolkemp like this.
  8. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

I sent you both a PM Squablow and Pist-n-Broke...Thanks again.