Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Any good shows in the Midwest this Labor Day Weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It's our anniversary this weekend was looking for somewhere to go in the Midwest. IL, MO, IN, KY, WI, IA, or???
    Thanks

2. GTS225

GTS225

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is a small town show in Madrid , Iowa
    ( about 25 miles NW of Des Moines.)
    It's a old time town celebration weekend.

http://www.madridiowa.org/labor_day.htm

The car show is September 3rd.
    The show usually has over 350 cars parked around the town with organized parking by classes. It is a judged show but just a enjoyable walk around town time.
    (Most) people could care less about judging,
    Good food trucks and booths, crafts tents etc and cold beer at the VFW Post Pub
    VFW Post 5060
    229 S State St
    ( right in town )

You can see from the Flier link a bunch of town celebration things going on.
    The weather is suppose to be nice in the 80's this weekend.

If interested, I can recommend some places to stay.

Russco likes this.
  4. Rockton, Illinois @ Lensing's Auto Museum,Sunday Sep. 3rd...not big but always interesting, you can go thru the museum cheap that day, all proceeds ...go to Cancer Society.
    ...usually an antique tractor pull............go to 3dsound.com for info
    ... lensing 16 009.jpg lensing 16 008.jpg lensing 16 013.jpg lensing 16 014.jpg lensing 16 015.jpg lensing 16 016.jpg lensing 16 017.jpg lensing 16 018.jpg lensing 16 014.jpg lensing 16 022.jpg lensing 16 024.jpg lensing 16 030.jpg lensing 16 039.jpg lensing 16 041.jpg lensing 16 042.jpg lensing 16 043.jpg here's pics from last year

5. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Greaserama Platte County Fairgrounds north of Kansas City.

badvolvo likes this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Davenport Iowa Antique motorcycle swap meet as seen on The pickers. And then head to Greaserama on Saturday. A truly traditional hot rod and custom show with over 500 vehicles attending.

Sancho likes this.
  7. Try the Auburn/Cord/ Deusenberg Festival over Labor Day, Auburn, Indiana. Open cruise on Friday See the ACD museum, Huge WWII museum.

8. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

9. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the Auburn, IN. show also has a swap meet

11. rhtfo

rhtfo

In Navoo, Il on Sunday, Sept. 3rd will be the annual Festival of Wheels car show (41st) They said over 500 cars already registered. Other family events going on all weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. topher5150

topher5150

Might be a little out of your range, but the Northern Street Rod Nationals are the weekend of the 8th in Kalamazoo MI

13. The greaserama happens this weekend here in KC ( actually Platt City). I haven't been since it was at El Torreon and they say it is a little pricey. I think it is almost as much fun as the HAMB Drags or so I have been told.

badvolvo likes this.
  14. badvolvo

badvolvo

I gave up car shows 20+ years ago. My daughter talked us into Greaserama 2007, have not missed one since. It's not pricey if you take the whole thing in (2 days). It's not your normal show, nor a rat rod show. It is limited to Pre-65 in most cases, loving home built cars. There will be customs, some rats, some traditional rods, all with attitude. example; we are taking our 36 chevy flatbed, kinda streetrodish, and the 59 Vette we had at the HAMB Drags. We do love the show, full of young rodders who mostly build their own stuff. I'm not a punk rocker, but really enjoy the show and company there. "Midwest's original punk rock car show". The only events on my must do annually include, HAMB Drags, Greaserama, Hotrod Hill Climb.

15. Its way cheaper to show than it is to spectate or so I have been told.

16. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

It looks like $10 admission with out a car. I'm going to Tri State Raceway at Earlville Iowa for a Stock/Super Stock race Saturday, may just have to fire up the Harley and check out the Greasers Sunday.
    Bent Valve

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Decisions - Decisions......
    What did you decide ?

18. the labor day spectacular is going on .treat her to the nitro cars and jets at the grove. nothing says happy anniversary like eating a greazzy cheeseburger from the consession stand while watching the drags. spring for some nachos to while you are at it.

Speedwrench likes this.
  19. They may have changed things, I was told a year ago that it was cheaper to enter a car for the weekend than to go as a spectator. Perhaps someone just didn't want my money. LOL

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

We havent, we were looking at a show in Kentucky (The Hot Rod Hullabaloo) but it looks like rain. We may just end up taking daily driver and the bicycles instead of the hot rod and head down into Missouri to the Katy trail.

21. so, what did you do Mike?..are you going to Jalopyfest this weekend?,..saturday?