Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Radio Mystery Application

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sheep Dip, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Anybody have any info on what this radio was used in?
    A buddy gave me this a while back and best info I can gather is it is what they call a 1951 Firestone 4-B-31 Roamer. I can't seem to find what cars they were used in, factory, after market I do not know.
    Hopefully someone will chime in and take some of my mystery out of the equation.
    IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1784.JPG
    [​IMG]

wraymen likes this.
  2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's a universal radio. bolts under the dash. lots of varieties around; i have one that's from a different manufacturer. back in the day, the radio option on a new car was not chosen for one reason or another. if you remember the old car stereos--8-track, cassette, or whatever--it's the same idea.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Thanks KoolKat looks like it's swapmeet fodder.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Here I was thinking is was out of a blimp, but then recalled that was GoodYear;)

6. belair

belair

Love the dial.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That would make a cool shop radio. Replace the power supply and coupling capacitors, maybe a resistor or two, and Bob's Yer Uncle. Align the IF transformers - tune for maximum smoke, trim out the antenna, and it will pull in stations like you wouldn't believe. Perfect for baseball games, and oldies.

Alonzo "Lon" Wilson likes this.
  8. Case is big enough you could rebuild it with modern parts and amplifiers for great sound. Finding a vibrator for it would be an expensive proposition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No! Don't kill it! The tube radios sound better and put out plenty of power. Vibrators are no problem (heh...) solid state versions are made just for this purpose. In those days car radios were pretty sensitive and selective.

10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's just too cool. Restored, converted, I don't care. Just don't let it go to a radio collector. That belongs under the dash of a hot rod, where it can be seen.