Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marketing Is For The Desperate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Marketing Is For The Desperate

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    kidcampbell71, Hatchet and enloe like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

I find myself in the same position, Ryan. You are not alone.

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

LMAO.

"Smoke- meet my ass"

Dude- you crack me up.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. You remind me of a girl I use to date,I got the impression I was gonna score but when I tried to take advantage of the situation I was stopped dead in my tracks,like the T-shirts offered,they are only for the petite among us,not the big burly Neanderthals like myself ! :D HRP

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    catdad49, Roothawg and hrm2k like this.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Nice job Lester

hahahah

hrm2k and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

At least you have not become Ron Popeil,,,,,
    Here it is folks the amazing merc-o-matic for all your garage needs!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. "I’ve slowly morphed into a more radical version......":eek:

all tucked neatly into a Tom-Watt suitcase.......:D

NoSurf likes this.
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do want to Thank You for using USA made t-shirt . I bought one at the Drags it fits nice.
    I went to a concert of a well know country star 15 years ago bought a hat pin . It was made in ROC . I was dumbfounded . This guy promoted USA . At that time in the state he was from there was a Mom and Pop Co that made hat ,lapel pins . Very nine stuff I had bought a couple Okla pins off them over the phone .

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

reminds me of pee-wee herman answering the door--"AGHHHH! SALESMAN!!!!"

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Selling American Made stuff is a pain in the ass... On the t-shirt front, we use American Apparel... AA is a shit company that was ran by a total blow hard. They were recently acquired after that blowhard went down to multiple sexual discrimination and assault suits. Seriously. The future of AA is unclear. But hey - for now their t-shirts are still the best blanks available and they are still made in the USA.

As for hats, I have two options. The first is over the top good... like, crazy good... and they cost me around $28 each. So, crazy expensive too... The second was so damned bad that after ordering 200 of them, I decided that I couldn't rightfully sell them. It took me like three years to GIVE them away. Seriously. Given all that, I break my "USA only" rule and order from Yupong. The quality of the hat is REALLY good and they don't cost me $28 each. Plus, I still have the patches that adorn them made in the USA...

Stickers are easy. More expensive for USA made jobs, but they are pretty high quality so I'm fine with it.

In any case... the point is, don't bag on the guy too hard. I actively search out Made in the USA stuff both in my personal and business life and it ain't easy finding quality made stuff regardless of price. And the reason why isn't a political thing (please don't express your opinion if you are a political freak), it's because most people would rather save a buck... and I get that... But I prefer to spend more for stuff made here IF I can.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I bought the new white Jalopy Journal shirt at the drags --- These American Apparel shirts fit and feel so much better than the other common brands. Definitely worth a few $ extra!

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate the fact that you have not ever given in to the temptation to license HAMB merch to Wal-Mart or some other bozos. The first time I saw West Coast Choppers shirts in K-Mart, I knew it was over.

Remember what the punk rockers always said, "Once you are popular, you automatically suck."

-Abone.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Do I detect some reverse psychology here.

wicarnut and Hnstray like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's just the smoke coming out of my ass.

catdad49, Hitchhiker, OL 55 and 7 others like this.
  15. I enjoyed this more than anything you have ever written.
    Well, at least this week.
    I am that guy too only I live in the middle of a GIGANTIC city. I have maybe a hundred shirts (really), maybe I need more.

16. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never woulda guessed - Ryan's ass was made by Lucas Electric!

vic

Tman likes this.
  17. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

True THAT!

I have a number of Mike Rowe inspired habits and buying American is one of them, as stated IF I can. It is a pain in the ass most times and a constant dance to justify some of the costs but things like footwear, work shirts, tools and anything that will just plain make my life more enjoyable when using or consuming these goods is usually a MIUSA gimme.
    Ryan, your slip into the abyss is completely understandable. I find myself unintentionally further away from social media and generally avoiding folks that want to offer their vast knowledge of nothingness in particular, simply because I don't think most people give a phuck about real values, love, respect or pride anymore. I have folks ask me on a regular basis "why?" I am doing some laborious, physical, craftsman-like or mundane task when you can just use an app to find someone or something to do it for you. Being here for as many years as I have I realize that you are one genuine sumbitch if nothing else. Keep doing what your doing. We value all of your efforts and views good, bad or obscene.

18. Good on ya, you just made me spend money. I finally re-upped my alliance membership, bought JJ3 and a couple T's.

Ryan and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. gee....and I thought I was an odd duck.....I like to be unknown...also....

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Grabbed a few stickers at the drags, damn things are industrial strength. I think you could hold a bumper onto a Honda with just one of them.

Very impressed

21. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Ryan, I was at GNRS, bught several books there at the J-J booth. There was ZILCH HAMB stuff there. Nothing. Nada. Not even decals so I can make a couple half-ass tag toppers. I even asked the folks in the booth.

If you want somthing that SELLS, how about calling OBT tomorrow for a shitload of real-deal cast tag toppers - I'm in for THREE when available, AND pay for shipping... HATE paying for shipping. Won't pay it for piddly decals alone. Might buy a basic HAMB shirt, or cap - just has HAMB logo, no other crap on it, then order decals too. I get it... want to show the world I do, and connect with other HAMBers at events as well. First, da BOSS has to make it a lil' easier for us folks. LOVE the HAMB, but how do I show it these days? Sorry if it sounds like a rant, just my 2-cents... -Tim

22. catdad49

catdad49

Another T shirt!! Heck, why not, it's HAMB related. Besides I just cleaned out the drawers of my bureau and there's room. Time to restock.

23. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

Hey Ryan is the camo hat available yet????

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Weird. I didn't have a booth at the GNRS. In any case, I get ya.

No. BUT, I did place an order for some. Should have them by november.

sponge likes this.
  25. I don't have any HAMB swag yet. :oops:
    I supose I could get some, call it "iconic" and keep it with my Disney collection in the Coca Cola room.

Required viewing: The People vs George Lucas
    Cliff Notes: Merchandising IS the dark side.

D-Russ and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

@6-bangertim - Did you mean The Rodder's Journal booth?

6-bangertim likes this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh. Good point... they carry some of my stuff.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it was the rodders journal both, this conversation happens almost every year after the GNRS it seems some of our brothers get all hopped up on roadster fumes and don't catch that it says Rodders not Jalopy ;)

lothiandon1940 and 6-bangertim like this.
  29. flamingokid

flamingokid

The internet is what it is.It's broadened my horizons in some respects while also showing me a side of humanity that I don't see in face to face meetings. Millennials are probably the worst of the bunch,their personas are completely different in person than when they mount the keyboard. Internet tough guys litter the landscape and self appointed experts are like a cancer.But all in all, I'm glad that social media exists.It brings our world a little bit closer.

catdad49 likes this.
  30. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Yup, thats's it!

Malcolm likes this.