Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 volt generator in 6 volt system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucksrodgarage, Aug 28, 2017.

1. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

This may sound like a crazy question, and don't get me wrong because I know cars and I am very knowledgeable in electricity. I have taught electricity for 40 years.
    But. The generator in my 41 Desoto has gone bad and I will be pulling the original stuff out and upgrading in about 6 weeks. I have a couple events I would like to go to yet this summer. It is a 6 volt negative ground system.
    I have a good 12 volt generator here and got thinking, wouldn't the voltage regulator limit the output of the generator to prevent it from putting out too much voltage for the 6 volt system? I'm always willing to try something that they say can't be done.
    What do you think?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

The 12 volt will be negative ground, your old reg wont like that.
    At least this is my guess. Really not a big deal to switch it over to 12 volts properly, could do it in a day probably.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you taught electricity for 40 years you already know the answer. Rebuild the 6v generator and put it back on.

Your 12v generator may be converted to 6v by changing the field coils, at least I think so. You could consult a good auto electric rebuilder. And of course the polarity issue merely requires polarizing the generator. This may be the answer if you require a high output generator for some reason.

I won't bother pointing out all the things you need to change if you want to go 12v. But will say, it's not worth the bother. The best thing to do is be sure the 6v system is working correctly and leave it alone. 12v won't fix worn out parts, frayed wiring etc.

4. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

I think the voltage regulators are too sensitive and have too narrow an adjustment range to adjust that far. I agree - just change to the 12V generator, regulator and bulbs, and power the gauges with a zener diode or electronic voltage reducer. You can keep the 6V starter.

5. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

I have already changed from positive ground to negative and the regulator that was in there has worked fine all summer.
    Like I said, I am putting a 383 in the car in about 6 weeks and only have a couple events I would like to go to.
    At that time I will also be completely rewiring the car for 12 volts.
    By the time I get the gen rebuilt the season will be over.
    Was just a thought to throw the 12 volt gen. In to get the last few hundred miles out of it before tearing it apart for the winter.

6. BJR

BJR

Pull the 6 volt generator apart and sandpaper the commutator, and put new brushes in it. One hour max and it will charge again. 90% of all generator/starter problems are warn out brushes.

Blues4U likes this.
  7. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

That sounds like a plan. Just a temporary repair.