Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FREE CAR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Respect, Unclescooby. What a neat car. It's amazing, after 40+ years diggin' USA cars, I still see models unfamiliar. That funky cool rear window..

unclescooby likes this.
  2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

^^^how's that for a cool offer? :)

Late to the Party and Hatchet like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Don't know anyone to nominate, but damn Scooby way to be a stand up dude!
    Hope that you and the wife make full recoveries, and I hope the young gun that gets this car takes you 2 for a ride in it when done!

RockinRivi and unclescooby like this.
  4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

This was an infinitely more difficult decision than I anticipated, which is stupid to say because I already knew how many awesome people are on this board. I really wish I could afford to give away several cars. I'm pleased to see young talent continuing the hobby. A 16 year old young lady taking welding classes makes my heart happy. A young man working in a land speed shop is incredibly cool, and I've been following Rytang's amazing thread on sectioning his Desoto since before any of this "free car" thing even happened.
    And if you'll indulge me for a moment, I'd like to share a quick story.
    Not too many years ago, I had a neighbor kid in a really bad car accident with his best friend driving. It killed his best friend and left him in a coma for six months. Everyone dreaded that he was going to wake up eventually to this horrible news. We all wanted to do something to help.
    He had a shitty old pickup truck. It was always a quarter of a tank of gas from being a total loss. It was loud as hell and woke us up at all hours of the night. We thought it would be cool to fix up his truck. To give him SOMETHING good to wake up to.
    I took his truck to my buddy's body shop and he confirmed our worst fears. He said we could MAYBE save the windshield wipers.
    So I found an identical truck in good shape on eBay down in Tennessee and bought that. The whole community chipped in. It got custom wheels and tires, a lift kit, a new engine, new transmission, new paint, etc..
    It was a real group effort and a lot of time and work went into it. It was supposed to be a surprise when he came home but someone told him about it in the hospital ahead of time.
    He quickly decided he wanted a lot of things changed on the truck, which didn't sit well with the volunteers. But he had been through a lot.
    Then the young man got a huge insurance settlement, which he deserves for being disabled by someone else. He immediately bought a brand new truck and spent about $50,000 customizing it. The truck the community built ended up in the woods behind his house. Frankly, it hurt. It took me a long time to get over that.
    Finally, I realized that, if charity is about how it makes the GIVER feel, then it was never done for the right reason anyway and flies in the face of what charity really is.
    That being said, I want to be clear that I have ZERO expectations of what happens to this car. I would love to see a build thread. I know that life happens, and it may not occur. I will not be mad.
    I was touched by the life of Andy Dunne, a young man that I never had the pleasure of meeting in person. I was touched by the spirit of this HAMB group during Andy's life. I loved how people came together to celebrate good. The world needs that, now more than ever.
    And while all of you are good, there is only one car to give away. Andy's family helped me make a decision and the decision was not because anyone was less deserving, but there was one person who really hit home, and also happened to one of only two people who currently does not have a car of their own.
    So congratulation, Jake_Lancer, son of very proud father, Sedanman.
    Jake, you now own your first car.
    I'm sure you'd like to know more, as did we. So here's the scoop on our new car owner...
    Jake is a 17 year old high school student, who plays football and wrestles. He is active in Boy Scouts (like Andy was) and is one project and merit badge away from Eagle rank. He is active in his church and mission work, and enjoys attending car shows with his father.
    Congratulations buddy, and thank you for your service to the community.
    I hope to meet you in person someday. In the meantime, I Jake.jpg will do what I can to help you get on the road.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  5. belair

belair

Great choice, unclescooby. Congratulations on not just wanting to be generous, but on being generous. And tell the new owner to get that Eagle. It's worth the work.

6. pumpman

pumpman

Good for you Jake! You have just been given one cool car by one very cool man. Build it, drive it and be safe. Unclescooby you're wonderful gift to Jake I think is spot on.

turboroadster and unclescooby like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have to say, I'm glad that you decided to give it to one of the young people that didn't already a car of their own, and it sounds like your choice is a very good deserving young man!

8. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'm happy about this choice too. If Jake is here in the Phoenix area I'm happy to help with anything that may require machining or welding or whatever.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi unclescooby.He looks like an outstanding choice.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday I spent the day with my wife's family as we all gathered to bury her uncle Rod. Rod was a good and godly man who had a tremendous impact on his friends, family, and his community. He was kind and patient. He was a hard worker who was generous with what he had been blessed with and would go out of his way to help those in need. We talked about how those qualities are so often lacking in the "what's in it for me" society that we live in today.

I am so thankful for folks like unclescooby that prove there are still indeed good people out there in the world. I am also greatly heartened by Nick Flores. Here is a young man who was being considered as a recipient for unclescooby's car himself. Upon hearing that someone else was given the car his first response was to offer help and encouragement to the young man that was chosen. That is simply good stuff.

Well done by all!

11. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

12. I was floored last night when I got the call from Sedanman that Jake_Lancer had gotten the car. I was overwhelmed with emotion. My wife and I have volunteered to drive to Phoenix from St Louis Mo to get the car this weekend. If anyone in the Phoenix area want to help load the car or meet me, send me a message and I'll get you my info. I have known Jake and his dad for a really long time. They (and their family) are really great people. The kind of friends that you can call in the middle of the night for help and they don't bat an eye. Not very many people like that in this world. I believe you made a great choice unclescooby. The car will be coming to my shop where quite a few people will be pitching in to help get this car back on the road. Once again, I say THANK YOU, to all of those involved. From the bottom of my heart! THANK YOU!!!

13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

What a great thing this is. What a great bunch of people. Wow.

All the best to you and your wife unclescooby.

14. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Hopefully it could be a father/son project like me and my dad started when I was about 13... those projects create more than just a cool street car, but also good relationships. Hope someone deserving gets it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Congratulations Jake , this is going to be a great first build for you . And to unclescooby , it takes one hell of a good man to do what you did . You have my respect for what you've done , this damaged world needs more people like you .

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A lot of classy people here on the H.A.M.B. You all have my respect.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A very nice post unclescooby, and it looks like the car will go to a very nice young man, congratulations to him. And kudo's to you for doing this, such a cool thing to do. I know my nephew Micah will be sorry to not be getting the car, but there was only 1 to give away, and I know he'll understand, and perhaps we can help him with another project sometime.

chryslerfan55 and unclescooby like this.
  18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Excellent choice ! Congrats to Jake ! And to unclescooby may you be blessed !!

unclescooby likes this.
  19. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Great choice and thanks for doing this, what a great thing to do for someone Unclescooby. My hats off to you!
    Jake keep us posted on your progress.

WTF really and unclescooby like this.
  20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Great stuff!!!
    I hope a bunch of friends, or soon to be friends, all chip in a bit of effort to pull this build off.
    Maybe it will be a solo build and thats certainly fine...but one of the best parts about building Andys car, and something that wasn't even considered when things started, was the lasting friendships it ultimately produced.

Be nice to see this follow the same course. ;) :D

21. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

First of all, I'd like to thank my dad, sedanman, and our friends at clean cut creations for nominating me and helping me through this whole process. When my dad first showed me the picture of the car, I immediately fell in love with it, I absolutely loved it. When this car arrives in Missouri, I plan to immediately start on the process of getting it running, I would absolutely love to drive it as often as I possibly can. I am truly honored to receive this car, and a huge thank you to everyone who wish the best for me. I will definitely start a thread so that everyone can see the progress of the build.

22. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Congratulations Jake! Bravo Unclescooby! And thank you for your story. You have captured the spirit of charity in your heart. We can't do it for thanks or it's not charity. Still, the ungratefulness of the young man would have hurt me too. I wish your wife God speed and I know God himself is smiling down on both her and you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. sedanman

sedanman

unclescooby,
    Jake is just beside himself with excitement and I myself am left speechless about your generosity. I can only image how much better off the world would be with more people like you in it. I truly hope that God blesses you and your family.

I originally nominated Jake with just a sliver of hope that he would get chosen. I did so because I just wanted to thank him for all that he has done for me.

This car will indeed be a father/son project as my car has been, but I know that many others will be involved as well.

Thanks to Clean Cut Creations for his generosity to drive from St Louis to Phoenix to pick this car up. I truly couldn't ask for a better friend.

The last few days have been a little overwhelming and I would just like to say thanks to everyone for the support! Both Jake and I much appreciate it!

24. movingviolation

movingviolation

To say that this place is very special is an understatement!

I was moved when we began the whole HAMBANDY project. People who reached deep into their heart and soul to give a young man the reason to fight. Something that i think of often and speak of quite frequently.

I made many friends whom i never met, some i chatted with via email, some over the phone. But, in a instant we bonded. And the dream of a ill young boy became a reality.

Well, when unclescooby reached out and asked if i would chat the decision process over, i took it and the most immense compliment. Again, the HAMB and one of its incredible members was going to make a very special memory for one deserving person. Boy oh boy, this wasn't easy... not for one second. But in the end, it was quite awesome that the winner "Jake" has quite a lot in common with Andy.. even when i look at the photo i see the same contagious smile!!!

Again, i feel that euphoric feeling and can't help but think of what is running through the mind of Jake as he becomes the owner of one really cool ride!

sedanman , you must be very proud of you son.. now, he gets to follow in your footsteps!!

Jake, CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS !!!!

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Please post a link for your build thread here, when you start it, so we won't miss it!

26. I don't envy having to make a choice on this, but sounds like you made a good one! I can't wait to watch the progress on this and also hope to be able to see the car and meet Jake in person at some point since I try to make it to St. Louis at least once a year for our Hot Rod Hundred up there. I love seeing this hobby passed onto the next generation and am also glad to see that there are still folks in this world that care about others. Thanks for the encouragement unclescooby and I am continuing to pray for your wife as well as you.

27. Sporty45

Sporty45

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Congrats to Jake! And unclescooby, you done good man :cool:

unclescooby likes this.
  28. Since we are headed to get this car in Phoenix, we will be running a truck and trailer full of hurricane relief supplies from St Louis Mo to the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo TX. We will be at the restaurant this Saturday 9/2. Please bring what you can to our shop before we leave this Thursday 8/31. Baby formula, bottled water and non perishable food is needed. You can even meet us along our route south if you message me. Please donate whatever you can. We will even accept clothing and monetary donations. Do what you can to help those in need. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

And the goodness in this thread just continues, good on ya ccc!

30. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Amen to that.....