Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 LaSalle old school convertible coupe build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by F&J, Jul 10, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Bugs are tough little cars and require just regular things to keep them Happy! I should have known you were Bug Man.

F&J and MyCrustyVW like this.
  2. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Wow I will just say thank you very much for the kind words, Sir! If I ever can be of help to you please let me know!

F&J likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

Been working on them since Jan 1970, when I started with VW, but....as the decades roll on pretty far, I now see things I never saw before due to age, miles whatever. You cannot ever know it all just from when these cars were new or say, 25 years old! But, I can tell any customer so much from starting it up cold, to testing the feel of brakes and steering, before I do a short 1 mile drive! Today was the first time I have EVER heard a VW flat 4 motor sound so odd in the bottom end. I will get out there to grab the crank pulley, shove it back/forth, but I bet that will show the rear main thrust bearing is loose in the case halves. Then, the case is junk....as even with new bearings, but sitting in a pounded out case bore, the oil pressure gets lost there in the gap!

Alan, I need to go to my barn to look at engine cases to see if any can go maybe 30k miles with a normal rebuild, and look for what I have for cranks as this one sounds like a bit of rod rattle too, which is stupid rare. If I cannot find a case here, I may have you ask around up there. Where is Turbo Punk now, I forget his real name :) ? Man, he brought me his 62 on a trailer 9 years ago?..said he was afraid to drive it as it "hooks hard across the road with no warning at speeds over 30s?" I think. I did the normal inspection and set up my alignment stuff to check Front end caster and toe...nothing.. So, I get out on Rt32, heading south, road is pretty straight, but a very, very slight curve to the left. I was super cautious as I got to 40, nothing!...then I got to 43 and BAM, the ass kicked so fast to the right so I somehow stayed with it turning into it, but ended up getting it back, but in the other lane!

I then knew it was rear toe, it was toe-'d out 1/2" Yikes. I reset the toe took it out again, kinda still wondering... but hell, that first HARD hook was F'n raw excitement!!! BUT!, only because I was so lucky the road was dead clear of cars. He also had said the boost "kicks hard", but I just never felt it as I got OK with the handling..then I stuffed it...Kerblam, what insane/intense power. Then I took my then 15 year old kid out on the highway when he got home from school...shhheeeezuz, that car pulled so hard, so high RPM in 3rd, just wanting more! In 4th, we buried the 90mph speedo in seconds! Fun stuff for sure.

The Cord will go for sure, but maybe not today, it's getting better, but not "galloping" yet, just faint hits, not on all cyls. I need to back off to let starter stay cool. etc. It is heating and also seating some valves on those that hit. Play with throttle opening settings too, as any super low comp barn find start, needs almost no throttle to get it to gallop. I'll get It!

biggeorge and MyCrustyVW like this.
  4. F&J

F&J

y'all waitin' for for some Cord news?? Lol... I sat down after a long cool down on my porch, coffee & smokes... Felt like i'd better post now ASAP as I ramped down too fast due to still fighting off the virus bug I picked up from my new neighbors! Yes, I would have been angry about that a couple years back,, but...I said Wednesday morning as I fought it off completely (I thought)...Heck, It was so worth it! Finally got tired of waiting to catch up with them in person to return her container that she wanted back... darn it, I go in to get it when her car pulled in...man, she's gone in two seconds?? So I wrote a FAST note, set it on their railing:
    100_0787.JPG

^^ why do I take pics of "stuff'? IDK, most pics I never post, some few I do...you tell me.

Ok, I started feeling so iffy AGAIN after the Vw deal this morning but really wanted to get further with the Cord start-up. It got better, but even when my son came in by surprise to help, we "lost" what we had, then getting nothing at all!

We messed with his paint buffing issues on his 4dr truck, then I went in for aspirins, well, Tylenol generics..

then he offered to take me to Auto Zone as he needed oil, and wanted me to get a full can of ether, as he said "make some heat GOOD'' burn it good, make some heat". Running on straight ether won't hurt a engine with almost no compression, and he knew I did not feel like driving.. We get there and his HS friend Dillon the Manager was there, he was talking up how the entire gang of theirs were hellraising at the Brooklyn Fair last night, Truck Pulls, girl chasing, ...so I got ramped up a bit rather than staying a bit off from "feeling off"..

We get home, I said I am done for the day (way early), I will try tomorrow. I was heading in for some coffee & porch time, but he said "wanna try one time?".. Ok, let's go. We got way, way further, comp coming back faster than I figured. I showed him how to "listen" for some cylinders coming up high....and how to lightly hold a cupped hand over the carb when cranking...is it puffing in and out weakly?, or getting a stronger pull and none coming back?..
    It was looking good but despite that it was by then galloping good, "it was just not close enough yet",... this ain't my first pony ride.. I said I am done for the day.

Later I go out to shut all the doors, lights...but just being in there got me a bit of a ramp, I knew something I was missing!...Ah, the F'n radio he shut off! I turn it on...Wow, Social Distortion "ring of fire" just starting! Let's F"NG ROCK! ...oh baby, I got so far I just knew this Bitch wanted more...Ok baby, I gave you the best headjob I could muster...now YOU rock my F'n world!!!

Oh yes baby, she was trying to get over the edge... he, he, Then Bam she goes into a faster and faster gallop then...bam off she goes!! but goes silent so fast!...more gas! I dumped in more than I used before, I knew this engine was so different that other barn starts that flood so easy! Off she went! throttle was wedged with a screwdriver as I had my hands full with jumper cable start &n hot wire to coil...up she goes, climbing in RPMs, clearing out, spitting back at the carb a bit, backfiring random off the right muffler, not the left muffler (yes, factory dual exhaust on Cords!)...all the way to 2000+ rpm! I tried from over on the right side where the starter & jumper cables are, to get it slower RPM, but I went too far and lost it, can't reach it good enough, BUT it ran long enough to later feel that the heads were hot-ish, but not too hot, perfect for a retighten in the AM. Shit all the time I am YELLING come ON! Go baby!...Let's Go!!.. He, he, I hope I don't get turned into the Cops yet again! I'm not kidding, I was Ramped UP but good! Hey, if you freaking love what you do, why hide it! I saw Big AL, the guy with the Big$ boats get just like that 15 years ago at the towns 275th celebration week, describing to a bunch of business guys from town, ....a big, insanely fast paced, rock n roll contracting project at UConn! He was a jumpin!, Ramped right the heck up, saying "I freakin' LOVE the rush!!!"

here is one small thing you can run into, one of dozens,,, a aluminum or diecast gas line barb fitting that was leaking a bit last night, after I wire wheeled it thinking it just needed Teflon tape, the huge hole appeared! I had a brass one to replace it:
    100_0783.JPG

Old shirt doing two things; keeping cables and jumpers from shorting out on the bare metal places on the peeling paint, AND it is used if the carb goes nuts, leaks and catches fire. I could never get the car yanked out of that bay in time, so this will fix most fires. (yes, I have a Halon, but I did not look for it)

Random pic today, forgot why I took it, as my head is kinda stuffy now:
    100_0784.JPG

I am doing it different than Jim wanted, He wanted 6v from the Huckster to feed the coil (I did try), but I insisted from the start, on only using "Big Truck" 12v battery to that huge starter. (Starter has a modern foil sticker with the "IH" International Harvester logo???).

I knew from fighting with it last night and morning, such bad compression and whatever, I HAD to go 12v on coil too.

It's cross firing at times as the valves are not seated in yet, I did hand clean each valve seat, each valve seating edge, as best I could,..... these engines have the valves sunk down just like a SBC or other V8 head, but these are in the block! The deck surface is NOT like a typical V8, it is like a 348-409, the deck does not run 90 degrees to the pistons!

Oh, baby, tomorrow we will finesse you.. Son will ask Kyle if he has an angle head torque wrench for the last torque at some point, before the car goes away. Right now, I can only use a swivel breaker to get them all, and go by feel like Jim suggested... Set one at 44ft-lbs, then feel what that feels like with the breaker, and do the rest. There were no torque wrenches back then, or torque settings ever listed, which we both knew. It was done by feel, and bolt, material type of bolt, and diameter.

Ok, I should have just walked away for the night but looked up the trans, to maybe figure out what rod does what, then figure out how to shift it into what gear. It sure looks a lot like VW & early Porsche, doesn't it?...right down to the "nose shift"
    100_0788.JPG

Sorry I did not stay WAY ramped up with an insane pile of words, but hey, I still had a Rock N ROLL F;n Day!!!...each day gets more funner! Bye

5. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

P1070892.JPG Could you get a "crows foot" on some of the bolts Frank? It would change the torque reading slightly because of the added length but it might get you in the ball park.

Mrs Jim and I went to the Dream Ride show in Farmington today. There was a pretty neat 1930 Chevey roadster there with a 472 Caddy for power and the original front axle with the springs placed underneath. The guy built it from a car that had been cut down and made into a truck.

brad2v, Okie Pete, biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Man, I too was saying it under my breath while reading it!

MyCrustyVW, F&J and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

No, not on the lower rear of left head. I may just wing it, if that's the best I can do.

anyways, I woke up at 3:20 Am to a mild Lyme attack upper right arm, and on lower left leg where the first hospital promised me the ultrasound that I honestly begged for, that test is the one the Walk-In Clinic doctor wanted done I Never got it, Yea team! The Medical side of the industry will not admit there is chronic lyme, it IS in you no matter what they are forced NOT to say! I was getting 4 tubes of blood work per day right when I got a severe attack at the Mental Health hospital, and the head Physiatrist showed me the computer charts showing the infection rise those two days! He knows! but could not get me any treatment, so I will let my immune system keep it from spreading to my organs and brain! I know it will work if I stay upbeat, and today sure turned out that way.

I hooked up with a very nice couple near Kennys from an old VW engine parts ad,,,He is maybe 21? she's mid-late 30s, also they are building an off grid home in New Mexico!

He had so much good stuff for the VW job, and more people showed up at their place, just like my place attracts!... They are into old VW busses as you can see! The sign looks solar powered too! ...Like their new home. I asked "how can you finish the HUGE VW bus pickup resto project in your garage in time?" he said "I have no time budget". I was kinda stunned as I have never heard that line before. He is just like Lori-ann, "Mercedes Will's" wife! These people are so BORN different...hard to explain just how far out they are from "we, the suppressed"
    100_0790.JPG

then I tried to get back to Kenny's, but kept getting lost! I saw a cute young blonde zipping back across a cornfield farm road to get in her car, I crossed lanes hard to get directions...nope she says not from here...but I hear a sweet voice say "I know where that is"...he, he, power seat recliner straightens up, ANOTHER sweetie! Yea baby! get my immunes up!

Get to Kennys only to help him tow start that 38 Chev truck he said he needed help with a few nights ago on the phone...but a Lot of nice people were already there!, Daisy, son David, David's bro-in-law buying a 1922 International doodlebug to use as a puller at the fairs, his two children, just wholesome, down home farm life stuff, starting/driving a few more of the pre-30s cars/trucks out of the building, then me resting in the cool grass, just a super perfect day!

Oh, I did swindle Kenny out of the University of L.I. Dodge 4x4 plow truck, just like I said 2 weeks ago..! At home, I asked my son to PLEASE get your truck bed off my trailer and HELP ME get that Dodge and the Whippet doodlebug home this week..

ran into even more sweeties at a stop on the way home, but I won't bore you about the BEST jean shortest short-shorts I have ever seen "filled", in my entire life! Not too bad for what started out as a "sick day", eh?

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

"""ran into even more sweeties at a stop on the way home, but I won't bore you about the BEST jean shortest short-shorts I have ever seen "filled", in my entire life! Not too bad for what started out as a "sick day", eh?"""

And of course no pictures of that!! :(:confused::mad::D

MyCrustyVW, F&J, biggeorge and 2 others like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Nash, just what I was thinkin'?!

F&J likes this.
  10. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

"Tune in tomorrow for another episode of 'As The Motor Turns' (and other stuff) brought to you by....."

You need to get a sponsor Frank. In the meantime, stay focused. That Cord ain't gonna start it's self.

Just warning you, I may stop over later today so get your cussin out of your system before I get there.

biggeorge and F&J like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Geez, Deuce... I totally missed that ^^^ when I read the 3 replies earlier this AM! Shit, 10:20 AM .... I better get my pants on. Not kidding, I am only wearin a T shirt. I fly by wire, not by rules.. I will wait till you get here to fire the Cord again.

Oh, those Short Shorts... Slim, YOUNG cutie making sandwiches...I'm a lookin'...they wear pretty stuff like that for what reason? so you WON"T notice? I don't think so! She rolled the cut-off jeans up like into a tight hem and sewed it like piping on a seat. Boy, that hem ended up RIGHT in all the best places,,, front and BACK! Never saw such perfect fits to the curves!

Oh, and as I pulled out of that place, a Black-n-White is coming down the hill...I talk out loud if I;m ramped...I said Oooppps , there's Johnny Law".... I had no shoulder belt on, no muffler at all, barely any brakes left... Holy Crap! it's HER!!! ...the stellar tall one that for the first time ever, my mind said "don't chat her up" as we were in that same eatery! Why the heck did my mind say that??? So, I did not! Ohhh, baby...she ends up getting very close to me as one of the cuties that day was fixin' my meal.... The Cop says "MMmmnnnn, that smells GOOD!"...Ok, honey, NOW I CAN chat you up real good!!! And I sure as shit did....LMAO here!!

She goes past my car waiting to pull out yesterday, and I give her a nice smile and a wave.... I think she likes me! Bustin' a gut here!!

Guys, I was really sick till Noon here. I actually was really down, ovedtired, exhausted, also fighting that virus which let the Lyme sneak up. I grabbed an old furniture movers blanket to lay down way out back of the shop, thinking of "I need to realize I cannot keep up this heavy work load to help my customers", like the surprise VW major job. That "not helping people" got me so low. I laid there an hour, far away from phone & lot... Got up as frikken chipmunk was pizzed at me near it's nest! I barely had strength to get to the house for a coffee. Had barely half of it, then tried that VW engine ad phone number again...Bam, he answered this time!!! Near Kenny too??? Man, MASSIVE boost in everything inside me, grab some green paper things with those numbers...got in my car, I never made it out there so quick...rockin, rolling, no radio in my cars, but I was supercharged!! Waving to any age woman or GUY I saw!! What a turnaround from that morning when I said to myself :"Well I finally will have to admit that this day WON"T be better that yesterday" Ha, wrong again A.Hole Frank!! Rock the F on, Baby!!!"

12. F&J

F&J

ok guys...let me clear something up right NOW. I do NOT date, I never will, !!! I have not, since the day I was voted off the island, and I sure do not need to explain why!

Let's clear something else up right now, too.... MY BEST "chattin' up good" during all of yesterday...was at Kenny's farm... I was helping Kenny get a broken hinge pin out of a wood/coal stove he is putting is his home with the torch...a 1930s vintage enameled cabinet stove that he says will be just right for the parlor! ..........

Anyways, the 9 year son, came over to see what we were doing in the shop, while his Dad was fiddling with the 1922 IH pulling truck he just bought. I just started asking the same questions like I had with my son at that age..."how were the Pulls at the Brooklyn fair, you musta went right?" ...and ....."Is this the first pulling truck your Dad has, besides pulling tractors?" His eyes showing the excitement of thinking about all that stuff, .....and he SURE will carry on for his Dad later in life!

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and biggeorge like this.
  13. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

So did you get the Cord goin Frank? Inquiring minds want to know, wink wink.

F&J likes this.
  14. F&J

F&J

Ok, Done for today on the Cord & Vw..

Wow, THREE excellent Old school top mechanics somehow ended up at the Cord engine this afternoon.. Ok, sounds braggy? Well, what I meant was:

-all 3 of us own and care a LOT about vintage cars
    -all 3 of us are REALLY good at old type "systems", and how to test things, even with no books or Internet
    -all 3 of us know anything CAN be fixed if that is what a person WANTS

Bob Jr , Jim, and me..

I told them something like "this is going to go good, as all of us will get so much closer to figuring out some more of the multiple issues it has today, as we will exchange ideas and test procedures."

I will skip some useless pics, except a pic I snuck of those two guys checking out Bob's 51 Chevy pickup, (that Jim never saw before), and I think they never met before which is odd. This is right as Bob had to go to hook up with his Grandson & perhaps that kid's Mom/Dad who live right near HERE! in a very nice home..
    100_0800.JPG
    -^^my wagon still full of engine stuff, and still is tonight! (got the bug running pretty dang sweet after the guys left, too)3 exhaust valves are stretching BADLY, all three were minus-zero settings rather that .006" It WILL drop a valve SOON! I see those three adjuster screws are backed all the way out now, but the good exhaust valve, that was Ok lash, and is OK on "normal adjuster screw threads" showing. All things a VW Air/Cooled guy should know.

Ok, Jim and I had the Cord running a few seconds only & stalled, just before Bob showed up by coincidence.. We were just restating as Bob came through the door. Anyways, it is starting good with a bit of gas as the carb linkage needs attention. But still skipping, and still that crazy crossfiring, kinda on just the right muffler...not sure as that muffler is loud. Other is OK, I think, but I am always on the right side of engine.

We messed with a few things like checking blow-by at the oil filler, etc, but Jim insisted it has a couple plugs fouled. I did not think so, and he took them all out and they were OK. I have not done comp test as it is too soon IMO, but I may, in the AM, as I ran it again late today by myself. It started REAL quick then, but saw a huge change from when they were here...smoking decently/moderately out the filler vent holes! But NO tailpipe smoke?? IDK, this is a very odd one for sure! We still have not plugged lower water hose fittings up to run the block & heads full of water, so run time is SO short! (to diagnose things)

Ok, Jim, I did run through the firing order, even though those wires were definatley on the engine when last driven 3 decades ago...BUT, I peeled one wire end back at the, cap and it is a carbon wire set. I want solid wire, but where do I get enough?? (these days, and LOCAL) I swear it is crossfiring through the wires, but I just don't dare say that for sure, as this one is acting so odd.
    100_0805.JPG

^^^^^Blue Arrow shows where I skinned off the insulation to verify for sure. Other circle shows how the wires get crushed into a brass spike in each rounded seat for each wire. There is a bakelite round cover that clamps down on all the wiring.

Book I got from Kenny just as a gift, after I showed it was buried in stuff piled on a oldie we got running to drive out of the building. He said "I wanted you to have it as it shows a lot of specs for the Cord."(and, MY Nash!) Here is something cool.... Check the firing order....and how they made it so easy to follow or do a on car trace!! They break it into 1L 2L up to 4L, then repeat 1 thru 4 but with a R. (I hope you can read it on the "expand-pic" feature)
    100_0806.JPG

catch the order yet???? This motor hits all FOUR on one bank, one at a time, FIRST, then goes all FOUR , one at a time on the other bank...does not hop back and forth between banks!

Needs>>>>More think time on my porch, and find some solid wire...Fun day, w/great friends...bye

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WOW......never have seen a V8 with a firing order like that. Not sure I comprehend how that works, but apparently it does. Do you suppose it has a 'flat plane' crankshaft?

Ray

MyCrustyVW, vtwhead and F&J like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

Ray, yes I was already wondering what the crank looks like ...BUT I sure hope I won't have to look at it! LOL, I have enough to do. Boy, strange indeed! I am quite tired (getting MUCH better though), so I had to read it a few times to make sure I was understanding it the correct way!

I have been emailing/back/forth with Ron the owner, ...he somehow comes up with the same suggestions lately, like just now, he says "flush the block with bucket of water several times, so you can hook up the radiator", (if you cannot drive to the garden hose)

But Jim is an idiot...he keeps emailing me tonight TOO.. read below:

HIM:> "Not a big fan of those carbon thread, or what ever they are, plug wires. Could be that spark is jumpin in the cap or shorting in the wire loom? We'll figure it out eventually. We smart!"

Then ME just minutes ago> "we will figure it out"
    What's dis WE chit? You comin' over fer another date, honey??/ Ask the wife, like I said on Day ONE, she'll have to adjust!

>>> ok, so I go to copy those emails just now.... and Ron just fired back:
    "sounds good!
    (Who knows if the car stays the winter yet, but I DO HAVE indoor space, not to worry)

what ever you want to do Frank, is fine by me. If you want to run it awhile, I am fine with that too. you deserve it!

just got my brake lines and need to get them installed on the truck."

Ok, Ron got home to Mid NJ that night at 10:30 Pm, dropped the trailer back to it's owner, jumped back in the 2 brake Chevy and headed to Syracuse NY next morning, and Emailed to say "it brakes better that his old 51 drumbraked Chevy wagon!

Well, it looks like his will get his line fixed soon,,,,mine? er maybe, Kenny has tons of new lines, including metrics I need, he tried to keep finding ways to get me to stay there longer as I was in my car to head home, but I said I'd get the lines next time!

He called an hour later...to thank me for helping all afternoon, then talked for an hour more. I told Jim in an email an hour or so ago, that I miss Kenny's tribe we hung with yesterday...already....

oh Jimmy.... sweetie,,,, see? Ron says we can "Run The Cord"... woot woot, seats 6 , or 8 if we get 'em to snuggle in tighter...LMAO... They started moving in Sunday PM... ohhh, baby!!!

17. is it possible the "firing" order is being "switched" in the cap? i remember running across an early cap that the electrodes inside the cap did not correspond with the plug wire side. i think they even sell modern caps that keep the wires from crossing over.

F&J and Hnstray like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ted,

That is a brilliant question!

Ray

F&J likes this.
  19. F&J

F&J

I agree with Ray,,, I sure will check it with an ohmmeter as "first thing"... It just seems so much like a crossed pair! It refuses to "clear out"!... I was a punkazz kid when a Kid from Maine came down in his 67 GTO to visit a cousin,,, Man, I did not know a thing then, maybe 17 years old...but it sounded SO wrong with the glasspacks...I checked the firing order for some unknown reason...two wires crossed, never a back fire or a skip, it was two wires that just made it sound wrong!

I changed tires and pumped gas, no skills whatsoever then...no cuties either :( well,.... I take that back, I was what was called "the Tolland Taxi"..I went to Rockville High, the home town of Gene Pitney.....free gas stolen from a kids Dads roofing company pump in Hartford, IF I would haul all the younger Tolland kids around that had no friends with licenses or cars... oooohhh baby, I ended up with THE prettiest stunning girl in town...she was just trying to get back at her older boyfriend, so I never got to 2nd base,,,,but Dang!! I did not care...until he tried to hunt me down to kick my arse but good. He ended up at was to become my Wife's parents house/farm, screaming "where is he!!" He he, I was out with MY little sweetie.. Those two gals once tried to ride on a couple cows for grins one day... so cute they were!!! Having fun and laughing!

He ended up 5 years later, moving next door to my home, but "our" girlfriend moved to central NY still in High School, ended up marrying a older guy, richer than her father!! We were Ok though, he later moved Here:
    DSCN0759.JPG

Caretakers house I believe he stayed in, for the Nathan Hale Homestead. Has to be this one, if not, it is in the Hale place below, next to it.
    DSCN0756.JPG

Have a great evening...

brad2v, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

21. Budget36

Budget36

Frank, I don't think an ohmeter will help you out, usually the insulation breaks down, then the spark jumps the gap to the other wires, heck I've seen it with cheap, new wires, on SBC's.

I'd suggest pulling the wires from the tubes , go ahead and leave them next to each other, fire it off in the dark, and see if you're getting a light show off the wires.

F&J likes this.
  22. F&J

F&J

What I meant was to see if the wire attaching point on top of the cap, is actually the same position as the contact under the cap...that is what Ted 33 was saying. I do recall a cap like what he said, AND there was a streetrod cap made for Chevy, so it had the wires on right side of cap, go to the right, and vice-versa, for the "clean look".

I will check that continuity for sure, and if it is OK, I will run some sort of solid wires tomorrow...Heck I even ran a four cylinder on mechanics wire once!...just to sort that barn find out. I'll call one of the Auto Parts places here in town; I am not goofin on y'all, but there is a young woman who helps me find parts without "year'make'model" and just might be able to get me a roll of solid plug wire! Really good at her job! no, I never got her name,,,but I did give her a nice compliment!

catdad49 likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

The last roll of solid core I bought, was at a farm supply place, used to be several around here, not so any more.

F&J likes this.
  24. F&J

F&J

Thank Ray, I do try! I kinda wished at many times that I was born someplace warm in winter! But getting out metal detecting as my marriage was falling apart, I saw how beautiful this State really is. I cannot ever leave.

Sheesh, I was just looking through my pics for a pretty one....last moment I spot this one taken just TODAY! Jim had just gotten here and wanted to look outside by the shop, at my 35 parts Cowl for a part for a friend... I heard that special Locomotive horn coming...2 locos heading south towards the shoreline...the one I said sounds just like the old Montealer...I ran back further to grab a pic, but thought I never got a steady pic... I said "I wish Amy was here, because she likes listening to trains"

Not an award winner picture, but here you go:
    100_0796.JPG

River just beyond the tracks over a bank...

MyCrustyVW and Hnstray like this.
  25. Frank, do you think Pease would have the wires?

26. F&J

F&J

That is a one hour trip just to get there! Kenny is sure to have TONS... he is a half hour away at least...But that is where I "must go" to get it!!! read on...

shit... I got on here just now with "something in my head".... WAY TOO f'n deep for most people to ever get, and it does not belong here... 8/29/2017, at 8:00AM precisely... I finally put the last piece of life's puzzle together, ..."my porch time" may work slow with me at my less than brilliant thinking level...but the reason I went too deep with the AACA thread, and here... those threads I now know that I thought were supposed to help others find the way, but I now know it was really to get the final answer I could not get to on my own..

...all came to a head with 3 major things going on in the last week.. There was first what I said was some "major thing with a good friend", then the Lawyer situation, and finally what really hit me this AM...Kenny's situation in that whole barn clean out... the long deep talks with all 3 of these guys, and others near(yet so far from!) their situations,,

Cannot go more on this, does not belong here. I will mess with the Cord today I imagine... I'll get that crossfire figured out...I always get things figured out! Just takes me WAY more time than it should ... Rock The F--- on!!!

...also on my plate today? ............emmm perhaps a little "Story of my Life" by Social Distortion!!! Yea, Baby! ..... Jim, I will fill you in on why I "need" to get the wires from Kenny... you are a part of all this, you will "get" it..

please guys, don't send "the crew" to come get me again.... I'm busy in the shop. LOL

MyCrustyVW and biggeorge like this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Yea, Back on the Cord! Was it Budget36 says to get the wires out of the looms yesterday? Well, that sounds better than chasing to Kenny's for solid wire because I need my dang trailer unloaded first, to grab the Dodge 4x4 or Whippet to combine tasking...
    100_0809.JPG

^^^ what a pain, as these silicone wires are "grippy" in those tubes, and tight fiton the last one they must have had to pull hard on that wire to get through? You cannot stretch those fiber wires, it can cause a break/burn inside the insulation.!! So, I'm kinda wasting time here, but just hoping for a hint of it getting better today..

Ready to fire it up, but got my Halon out for only one reason. I should have done that from first attempt, there was no excuse for that dumb decision! ...Ok, Yesterday, 3 guys on the car at once, all too busy to watch what is going on, Jim says my 1 gallon gravity can is "too low". I knew he added more, but as I quit last night, taking hot 6v & 12v jumpers off the car & twin batteries, I went to move that can down low in case the carb needle started leaking overnight. DAM Jim??? Filled it UP?? Buddy, we only need a pint during each super short run time due to how hot the heads get so quickly! If some freak event happened with a FULL gallon, right over those top mounted exhaust manifolds, and some frayed and burned horn wires...it could go SO bad, SO quick!! I dumped most of it last night, back into the 5 gallon container in the work area, far from the car.

Ok, It fired quick, I know I heard some slight backfiring kinda...hard to explain the sounds from where I need to stand to do the jumpings..

Let it run as long as I dared, sounding SO much better, but LOUD...It was stable at a maybe 1000rpm speed, so I made it back 5 feet behind the car to hear any oddities, skips?? Shit, this thing sounds so badass! Later I knew why, yes, one muffler I then saw was blown right off years ago...but it is that crazy firing order guys!! Think about it, 4 hits on one pipe, then 4 on the other...of freakin' course it will sound like no other car I have ever heard!!

After I shut it down, thinking...I decide to get a creeper to see the mufflers and why they are both loud?? Sheesh I saw one muffler was blown away, but at same time, the right exhaust pipe is nearly completely crushed flat!
    100_0811.JPG

100_0810.JPG

ok, under there seeing stuff I never saw before... wasn't there some late 60s rock & roll song, "seeing things"....then..".I don't wanna see no mo' " LOL..

A HUGE master cylinder, pic won't do justice for sizing it.

...and W in the the F is THAT??? some paper thin, longass metal grid thing BETWEEN the exhaust, maybe 4 feet long...three strips of 1.5" wide, huh??? ............. DUH!, it is the Radio "Array" in radio speak! The antenna!! Cannot get a good pic as this car is SO low..

100_0813.JPG

Car needs water NOW, cannot go further without water, AND cut that crushed pipe section out, scab in a straight piece, find a muffler or a pair at "Kenny's bargain basement sale" LMFAO!

having a blast, this car is so crazy!!!

28. F&J

F&J

too busy to write, so here is a email to Ron I just sent..

"""
    Jim called two hours ago, he found a new/nos center bearing! I said get it, order it, whatever!
    Ok, I am just finished putting a muffler on to quiet it down for now, cut out the crushed part, sounds so much better, and hear more stuff.

I think the dual exhaust is NOT stock! I saw two tail pipe openings on that rear body pan, but looking and feeling how they are made, I think one was added... Let me decide/ think, before ordering any exhaust parts!

Fan or water pump bearings or shaft issue! (going to lock up soon)Rocking it and watching both ends of the fan & rear mounted pulley, the shaft must be two pieces or ?? It wobbles, Pump needs to be disconnected for now if I get water in it. I need everything QUIET so I can hear the engine internals.

I need to cut back the left tailpipe it is crushed closed TOO

Gaining,,., the skips are trying to go away...get water in it, and unhook fan/pump is next ! Then run it maybe 6 minutes before it boils? It needs run time, a bit at a time, though. """""

biggeorge and James D like this.
  29. i told a customer once in trying to explain why his car was running bad when we first got it running after sitting a long time "they [cars,engines] are just like we are when we get up in the morning, they need time to stretch, yawn, creak and take on "nourishment" before we get up to "speed".

brad2v, biggeorge, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  30. F&J

F&J

This ain't my first pony ride with Ron, here is an email I set to him at 11;45 this AM:

""""
    Getting closer to getting it to run better, ran it again for a few minutes today after messing with those crappy modern plug wires,...but need water in it soon, but!!!

I got under the car... we have one muffler that looks like it blew apart a long time ago...and the body of it is gone! Pics below..

also, the passenger exhaust pipe in front of that missing muffler, is crushed FLAT. I will cut that piece out and make a repair to open it up, WHEN I get a muffler.

Just SO many things to deal with at once, not unlike many old barn start-ups. Like starting to push an old wooded ship into the water, see a leak? Pull it out for a new hull?? NO, you patch that leak to see if it will run, then see if the rudder will steer it..

also, the water pump bearing was frozen,, but I did get the fan to move before I started it, Now it has an occasional squawk, letting me know it needs grease, or worst case, a bearing, but the radiator would need to come out FIRST. SEE how it goes?? One thing at a time, JUST to see if we have a good motor so far!

No idea what will pop up next, JUST like most barn cars. We have had 3 top guys on site here, as well as Hamb's Crew adding ideas & helpful advice! A whole damn pit crew!! Everybody wants to see that car drive!"""""

Don't let that Hamb shit go you your F'n heads guys!! LMAO...

hey, here is a little fun mystery for yall to answer...first one who answers to the point of what you see here that is electrical, gets to get in the Cord picture with the College Girls. Getting a bit chilly here, so they will be wearing those really purdy Autumn sweaters, no skirts or short-shorts...
    100_0816.JPG
    ^^^laying under the front of car, looking up.^^^

Ok, I will try to get some way to get water in it...it is getting late afternoon, rain maybe, feels like it, so the Cord stays in; has too much bare metal!

Looks like Ashford cruise may be rain out again Thurs?, ah.., no time to solve the clutch slip issue anyways... I had told Kyle and my Son what to do over a week ago! .... but....nada... it's up to me now? IDK..

James D likes this.