Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MOLD!!!!!!! (long read, sorry)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 14, 2017.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I've had fiberglass boats that had mold in closed up areas also.....might look behind door panels,on the fiberglass, etc for mold

Baron, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  2. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  3. jackalope

jackalope

The ozone machine produces the ozone that gets where superficial cleaners can't get which is everything you can't see.
    I think you will be very happy with going the ozone route.
    I'm surprised you sprung for a new machine! They are spendy. I think my little machine (shoebox size) was around $700.
    Sometimes you can rent them.
    If you did buy one then you can use it in your home too. Great to run during flu season.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, kidcampbell71;
    Mind putting a link to which Ozone machine you use/chose? Some similar issues here. I have a few ozone machines, but they're not powerful enough. Did find a couple that a friend used, but they're borderline stupid $$$. Wasn't sensitive to mold/etc yrs ago, but sure am now. Sure takes the fun out of a lot of things, since I've found out just how many molds there are...
    TIA.
    Marcus...

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  5. Honestly, stay tuned to Scotty T. He chose a device expelling 5000 grams of ozone an hour. On paper it should clear 8000 square feet. It was very reasonable in price. If it survives this one use, it will have done his job. I'll let him share his purchase here. I'm interested in his results.

I operate on the premise of "ten times over". If I'm clearing 300 square feet, I post enough ozone machines for 3000 square feet. Overkill is the word with flood damage. DFW has a ServPro coordination team based here. I rent mine usually from them. Several tractor trailers full of them here.

The commercial units are designed for hundreds of hours of use. Most have hour counters. Large units, some with built in caddies. They'll kill a team of horses. :)

Baron, loudbang and jackalope like this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope

loudbang likes this.
  7. Markgyver

Markgyver

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

loudbang likes this.
  9. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

30 Seconds Cleaner at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc.
    8 to 10 dollars a gallon.
    light mist and wipe works well on surfaces you can wipe
    smells like a bit of bleach but has other chemicials.
    Used it on boats that looked like they had permanent mold stain.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Hi, I am a long time contractor and building inspector. That being said I hear alot of things from Industry technicians and the first thing they do is get the problem tested and see what you are dealing with. Then you can proceed with the proper solution. I think you will end up throwing out the whole interior as the problem is probably embedded in the material. I personally would not take a chance to save anything that is not metal.

clunker, iwanaflattie and loudbang like this.
  11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Just wondering if you are having a reaction to the cleaning solution itself??

loudbang likes this.
  12. ems customer service

ems customer service

experts deny bleach cause buying it cheap any any store impacts there profit margin, bleach is perfect for mold, and wd-40 is a good after bleach coating for a lot of materials. but you still have to get rid of the moisture

13. I'm in the trades too. If you really want "too much information" that will make any normal person panic, then talk to a mold remediation expert. But I would definitely take their advice.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. rockfish

rockfish

I know I'm late to reply but I also think you're on the right track with the ozone machine. I've used one on vintage guitar cases and even guitars with good results. I'm not that sensitive to the mold but my brother is highly sensitive so I often use him as a test subject after treating something and he's been amazed with the results. Good luck on that beautiful car. I'm lucky enough to have a C2 Vette project but I love the C1's even a little more. Great family heirloom.

15. Fortunately the moisture is not an issue any more the garage where the car was stored was the issue. My garages are well ventilated and dry, I've never had a mold/mildew problem. After work tonight I'll have time to play with it again. Hopefully I'll wrap up this issue soon

loudbang likes this.
  16. I'm seriously considering a midyear ( not c2) garage mate for the 57. Post a pic of yours please.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there Scotty, you can beat it. It's already a badass hoopty but to have it as an heirloom? Livin right bruz. You're getting some good advice, but I might tend to agree that an abbreviated interior kit will be on the 'to do' list to assure a happy future. Hope all's well.

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  19. Well the ozone machine seems to be working! I ran it for a few hours and the funk seems to be gone. I've had it running since this afternoon I'll let it go till mid day Tomorrow. I'm sure the various mold killers helped quite a bit too. Thanks for all the advice.

20. Hey Jocko, I'm hoping to avoid any interior work, it's got a cool OLD black vinyl pleated interior.
    By the way I regret not buying the 61!

Baron and loudbang like this.
  21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey bud I'm rootin for ya, hoping it cleans up and it sounds like you're getting ahead of it. Yeah, the 61 got an LS and like 18" wheels so I regret you not getting it too:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  22. IMG_1240.JPG Here's a pic of the mold

23. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Ozone machine seems to be workin'.......

loudbang likes this.
  24. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that explains a lot . I was thinking it was the black car.

loudbang likes this.
  26. jackalope

jackalope

Patina

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Scott. Good to hear you're solving the mold issue( or at least heading in the right direction). I just went to look at a customers 72 Dart that had been in storage for 8 years. The interior was full of mold. I told him I would not work on it until he got it cleaned up and suggested a local detailing shop. Hopefully they will make out ok. The Corvette looks great and I'm a fan of the Torq Thrust wheels.

kidcampbell71, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of us would jump through more than a hoop for that "hoopty".

loudbang likes this.
  29. the mold is dead!! woohoo!
    IMG_1419.JPG