Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rear Drum Removal 1950 IH L120 (help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Greetings,
    I recently purchased a barn find 1950 International Harvester L120 Pickup (See pics below). The truck sat for awhile (1970s-90s) but was tuned up and drove in 2011-12, but was parked in a barn sometime in 2013 up until when I bought it about a month ago.
    Anyways, I'm in the process of giving it some TLC and want to check the rear brakes out but upon removing the rear wheels I noticed this wasn't the traditional drum I was expecting. Any ideas on best way to safely get the drum off on this setup?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    ZB

IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2335.JPG IMG_2341.JPG

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Just a guess, looks like typical floating axles.
    Remove the 6 bolts and pull the axle out, then will be 2 nuts inside holding the drum on. Very similar to front drums and wheel bearings. On the chevy floating axle, will be a nut to set/adjust the wheel bearing, then a washer with tabs/ears slides over it and then another nut to lock it in place.
    But just a guess on your corn binder, I would double check with the manual before pulling the axles.

deathrowdave, Hnstray and Zac B like this.
  3. kinda what he said.....take off the six or so bolts/nuts to remove the axcel........inside there should be one or two locking nuts - there will or should be a turned down washer that locks the one or two nuts that hole the drum on.....good luck......

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thats a nice looking IH you got there. Check on seal availability, you might nick them when you pull it apart. It has been almost forty years since I worked on one, but I think the two holes in the axle are thread so you can put bolts in them and push the axle out. I meant to say threaded, but Im sure you get the idea.

Hnstray and Zac B like this.

5. Klim1972

Klim1972

So I'm new to site and have a family owned 53 r110 have a question got set of new (old doors) and everything looks right but window openings are bigger is that right or is it off another model?

6. kliml972.....not sure - but it looks like you might have a 1955 or 56....can you share the year - and a pic - that would help....or start a thread - lots of International guys on here to help....

7. 55's looked just like 53 + 54's, except the 53-54's had 2 piece rear window, and shorter door glass , 55's had one piece rear window and door glass was about 2" longer at the bottom

8. 32bizcoupe

32bizcoupe

You have a 1950- mid year 1953 which would be an L model. The R model ran from 53 to mid year 1955 only thing that changed was the front.
    The truck on the left is a 51 right 55

Attached Files:

9. mike hutchison

mike hutchison

HELP!!! i need help finding a rear brake drum or drum and hub assemby for a 73 IHC 1310. does anyone know where to find one.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Los_ Control gave you pretty close to Text book instructions In post 2.

The only things I can add are that the washer between the nuts will have a tab or part folded up to hold the lock nut in place that will have to be straightened out so the nut will turn. If the drums are worn you may have to back the adjustment on the shoes off to get the drum off the shoes.

deathrowdave likes this.
  11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

About 15 years ago, I owned a couple of 1971 IH 1210 (3/4 Ton) - the 1310 is 1 Ton, I am not sure what the differences are in the drum. I upgraded the brake shoes from 2.5 inches to 3 inches. The stock drum had enough width to take 3 inch shoes.

I "somewhat" remember a lot of commonality with the Dodge truck brakes of the same era. A couple of resources:

Web site - I was active there before I sold the IH fleet
    http://www.binderplanet.com/

And a favorite vendor - great folks - they support the IH community - bought my parts there:
    https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/

Russ

12. Reidy

Reidy