Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Hardy Allen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kaydub, Aug 26, 2017.

1. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser, cool37, pat59 and 8 others like this.
  2. What a great read.You are lucky to have known him.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I considered myself extremely lucky to have met Hardy and see him a Jacks Garage, Donut Derilics, and the Outriders yearly picnic. My wife's maiden name was Allen, she's 5' 1" and a redhead, when I introduced Jean to Hardy as his cousin it brought a huge smile to his face... I will miss him.

Fordors, HEMI32 and kaydub like this.
  4. Good read....go join and have fun with those that have passed before you - Hardy !

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Allen family and friends on the passing of Hardy...a true member of The Team. When a team works together everyone wins. Sadly it comes to an end for us all. But these moments also are a time to reflect and celebrate ones life as we do a lot around here a lot...Thanks @kaydub

6. It seems Hardy had a great life, rich with friends. He is lucky to have been a part of a sport that dosent subscribe to the barriers that seem to still be in place, in other arenas.
    Rest In Peace Hardy Allen.

Fordors, clunker and Kume like this.
  7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

8. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

The stories this man told! He was just bigger than life, bigger than race....

He stayed with my parents a few years back for the first F1 race in Austin, Tx. I found out very quickly that hardy was the celebrity at the track! Everyone!

And what did he he do after that....for the hospitality of staying at my parents house. He would call my mom every Mother's Day, every Valentine's Day.....just to let her know he was thinking of her. Great man!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Fordors, philly the greek and Stogy like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll say this with no regret. I feel if every one who knew or had met Hardy attends his rememberance service it would fill Anaheim Stadium. I was wrong either the LA Colosieum or the Pasadena Rose Bowl will be needed with some waiting outside.

philly the greek and Stogy like this.
  10. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Hardy was a great guy! Always smiling and was willing to talk to anyone. Very unassuming considering his great past in racing. He will be truly missed. They had a moment of silence at this years Outrider picnic. The 50/50 just wasn't the same without Hardy selling the tix!

philly the greek and Stogy like this.
  11. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I first met Hardy at Art and Mike Chrisman's shop several years back . He was always a fun guy to be around with his great smile and infectious laugh . Always a class act and in spite of his numerous accomplishments he was one of the most humble gentlemen that I've known . He raced the good race .

Fordors and cool37 like this.
  12. bambbrose likes this.
  13. spiritof67

spiritof67

It sounds like a cliche, but Hardy Allen, a man I never met, changed my life. My Dad and I were "sports car" guys, and our regular race space was Bridgehampton, which was at least 200 miles from home - which Dad always drove in one day.Yes; 400 miles minimum. Anyway, in 1968 Dad was reading, I think, either Car Life or Motor Trend. He called me over and showed me a page: it was Dan Gurney in a pit stop, and there was Hardy Allen. It was the first time I had ever seen a photo of a black man as a pit crew member, or anywhere else in American racing. Certainly Hardy was the first to be in a top-line team crew. Then he outdid that and became Dan's crew chief for the 1970 Indy Car effort, again a feat I do not think has been repeated. Dad and I were accustomed to being the only dark faces we'd see in a racing weekend, but then again we were used to being that in a lot of places. Seeing Hardy made me realize that there were people who weren't white who were deeply involved in racing (I had the honor of meeting Chickie Harashima as well) and I have for years thought that the lack of publicizing this has kept talented young people from other communities' participation down. They never had their "Hardy moment". I'm glad I did. Just wish I could've met him. May his wings have many feathers.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I met Hardy Allen in AZ. a few years ago. A very nice man!

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest In Peace Hardy.

Condolences to family and friends.