Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Ford Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BenLeBlanc, Dec 5, 2014.

1. So, @flatheadtommy got slammed with work. I figured that I could handle the job.
    I took the engine down to Millworks hot rod & custom and tore into it. The rear main seal did end up being a slinger, but the rear main was good, so it couldn't have been the problem. Meanwhile, the oil pump access cover was also pretty gunky, but not leaky. I goobered it up with sealant though to be sure.
    Unsure or what the problem was, I started to clean the oil pan for reassembly when I saw this
    [​IMG]
    I took a flashlight and looked on the bellhousing side to see this:
    [​IMG]
    The spot weld had rusted and caused oil to drain through a pin hole and into the bellhousing! When I heated the motor up, the oil just flowed more easily. I just filled the hole with jb weld and I should be good to go!

I then made a canvas top for my car while it was too rainy to reinstall the motor. If anyone wants, I can explain it, but it was very simple. Buttons down and is removeable. Cheap too.
    [​IMG]

I then reinstalled the motor. Fixed a couple of things while I was at it. I used hockey tape (3m friction tape) as loom to protect everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My new favorite picture...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    chop job, AHotRod, Speed~On and 14 others like this.
  2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Ben, you have done a great job on your car bud. You have built a cool, unique, and soon to be very fun hot rod there. Can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I love that last picture, too. Great looking hotrod!!

volvobrynk and BenLeBlanc like this.
  4. You're killing it! Great pic!

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  5. Pete

Pete

Yup....what he said!!!

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  6. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Looking great Ben, you have come a long way.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  7. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Top job, looks fantastic!

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Cool ride.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  9. Thanks for all the kind words-
    I still cannot get the car to run well enough to drive. I worked on the timing and got it ok, but any throttle above idle breaks up, so I am back to carburetor work.

While I wait for parts, I wanted to work on the hood again. There was a crazed in repair that was done to one of the halves that I wanted to get rid of. I figured some people also have hinge issues, so maybe they can see how I did it...
    [​IMG]
    I formed these flags by hammering sheet around a 3/8 rod on a vise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then mounted the hood, and found out kinda what I already knew. The grille is too high and needs to be lowered. I have a tab that mounts off the front cross that already moved the radiator out three inches, I figure putting in a one inch drop will fix the issue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy, volvobrynk, brEad and 2 others like this.
  10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice job on the hood hinge. Looks good

volvobrynk and BenLeBlanc like this.
  11. Mikel50

Mikel50

One step closer Ben, car looks great.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  12. Thanks-
    I had most of the day off today and fixed the radiator.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the new bracket.
    [​IMG]
    With that finally figured out, I finalized the radiator support rods. They don't make the size I needed, so I bought 2 3/8 x 1 carriage bolts, 3/8 solid steel rod, and 2 5/16 x 2.5 bolts. The real deal used 5/16 solid rod, but home cheapo only sells 3/8.
    I welded the carriage bolts on first. If you want to do the same, just make sure you assemble all of the hardware onto it before you weld it. It is stuck afterwards. In order to clear the square of the bolt when tightening, I used 7/16 washer and lock. I then dressed the weld afterwards.
    [​IMG]
    Same deal on the front, but no preassembled hardware necessary. I cut it an inch short so that you have the ability to thread in or out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plan is to cover it with gloss black enamel to finish it. Turned out well for the price I think.

AHotRod, Runnin shine, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Followed the link. Sounds great.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  14. Pete

Pete

Ben,

I just watched your video, so damn cool! The car looks awesome.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say you stepped beck in time to the good old days in style. You have been finally rewarded. Enjoy the fresh noisy air Ben...;)

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Sounds PERFECT

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Motor has a throaty sound to it, car looks great. Now you get to enjoy it!CONGRATS TO YOU!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  18. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Awesome work!

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  19. Thanks for the kind words!

I tried to take it for a drive Friday but broke down- once warm it started to miss and got progressively worse until it would miss anything above idle. I narrowed it down to the coil and hopefully a replacement comes in the mail.
    I did however get to work more on my hood. I was able to fix the extension to my liking, adding a hood center hinge. I then was able to work on the sides, using the same custom rolled hinges, because the piano hinge used before was not separable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

If the coil doesn't fix the issue, put in a new condenser.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. It took multiple days of troubleshooting, but mr. wheeldog was right! I swapped in a new-new condenser and it runs flawlessly!
    I was able to make it around the neighborhood so I started to venture out. I was able to make it to flatheadtommy's place and also took it to the lake for the obligatory lakeside pictures. Canvas on and canvas off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    AHotRod, mike bowling, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  22. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Looking good Ben. Sounds good too. I bet your glad your driving it now. Keep us posted with updates. And keep up the good work. Bob...........

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  23. Just a quick update-
    I added plexi to the sides so that I can now “lock” the car up. I also bought some ceramic insulation on eBay at 12 bucks shipped and put it around the baffles in my headers. Worked incredibly well! Much more tolerable, and now driving is a lot more fun!
    [​IMG]

After the tune up, I was actually able to drive down the the gathering of the faithful meetup. I left early due to rain and how open all of my car is (and not painted!). Since I live in Lowell, I had ~150 trouble free miles under my belt by the end of the trek. On the highway, I was able to get up to 65ish, with normal cruising speed of roughly 55. Very impressed with how the car did.
    [​IMG]
    With all of you wondering, what else is left? I still need to chop the top ~4 inches, finish the hood, and do bodywork.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    AHotRod, waxhead, patmanta and 2 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congradulations @BenLeBlanc on your maiden cruise...perhaps drive out the season before the next phase of Hotrod...maybe just maybe consider less of a haircut. It looks pretty smart as it is. Are you a tall fellow? Perhaps just 2-3. It's your choice of course. Hey nice pics...;)

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  25. mike bowling

mike bowling

did you say 3" (haha - you still might end up as tall as Ronnie!)
    Car looks PISSAH! Tommy must of loved it.
    Happy Motoring, my friend

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  26. Mikel50

Mikel50

It was great to meet and chat with you Ben. Here’s a few pics of your Coupe. I have a few more I’ll post up when I’m in a better area. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Mikel50

Mikel50

Job well done !

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  28. Mikel50

Mikel50

Awesome looking hotrod and from what Mike and Ronnie said she’s a mover on the highway too ! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Mikel50

Mikel50

Ben if you want any of these file let me know.
    They can be blown up to 36”x24” posters. The resolution is perfect for it I’ll send you over a Dropbox file.

mike bowling and BenLeBlanc like this.