Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FREE CAR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Budget36

Budget36

If it doesn't pan out, maybe the HAMB could figure out a way to get the car to Indy for the OP?

I know he's not asking for it, but would be a nice thing to do.

Spoggie, vintage56 and Dick Stevens like this.
  2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Send it to me so i can chop it and then i will send it to someone else to do the drivetrain... it could be a HAMB project by alot of people. Just a thought. :)

302GMC, slv63, DylanHill1931 and 7 others like this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm seeing an AWB car with the rear tires moved up, and centered under the rear side windows (like that red 55 Chevrolet AWB thread); NOT really. I've given away a LOT of stuff over the years, to help someone along/out; I have been taken advantage of a time or two, but most of the time it's worked out well. Since auto shop seems to be dying out in high schools, it probably would't work to try and go that route. Maybe a car club and then a give-away car? Good thing you're doing, and I wish you and your wife well. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Dick Stevens likes this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Best wishes for your wife, family and you. Such a thoughtful gesture!

Dick Stevens and unclescooby like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

A great gesture to pass the hot rodding torch. Hope all goes well for you and your wife.
    I will add her to our churches prayer list.

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

IMG_9963.JPG Thank you all for the well wishes. The Mrs and I appreciate it very much. We all know cancer sucks.
    Cars and the HAMB have provided more welcome distractions from the real world than i can count over the years. I have made some great friends here.
    The greatest of moments was watching everyone come together for Andy. And while there will never be another Andy, there are always folks we can do things for.
    I hope this works that way.
    Thanks again.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great pic. I just lost my dad to cancer this past Tues. It sucks. Here's hoping for a quick recovery for both of you.

8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Looks like we have Rytang and Nick Flores in the running so far.
    I've asked another HAMB'r to do the honor of picking. Hopefully he accepts and we can get this to someone.
    I'm gathering some additional parts for the car too. I saw it slammed, in this paint, Fulton sunvisor, etc...
    But it will be yours to do with what you want

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I was half joking when I made my comment but if I do end up with this my plan would be to clean it up and drive it as a daily like I do everything else. I do like the idea of slammed with a visor. Maybe some Moon discs and a pusher bar to pay tribute to our Salt racing addiction...

....great...now I'm talking myself into it...

unclescooby, Hendee, clunker and 4 others like this.
  10. belair

belair

Way to go, unk. Prayers for your wife.

11. rgdavid

rgdavid

Please please get better mrs unclescooby,
    I can think of someone who merits a car like that,
    But hes in france like me,
    Ratatouille,
    hes a young man that tries so hard with not much and has so much passion to do an american car thats just unobtainable in france.
    A help with shipping fund ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Spoggie, Dick Stevens and unclescooby like this.
  12. sedanman

sedanman

Prayers for your wife and family. I have a son that just turned 17 yesterday that would be thrilled to get his hands on this car. He has helped tremendously on my car and loves to work on old cars. He is a great kid who plays football, wrestles, currently working on his Eagle Scout rank and is very involved with the youth group at the church we attend. I'm not certain which direction he would head with a build, but I would certainly steer him towards a mild custom.

13. I too will be praying for your family. I hope all goes well. Cancer does SUCK! I second the nomination for sedanman 's son Jake! He has just turned 17 and he has been interested in custom cars and hot rods for as long as I can remember. He helped his dad a ton on his car and never said a word about how hard or hot or rusty anything was! I think this kid truly has the custom car itch (not many millennials even care about this stuff) This kid has his plate full with working for me at my catering company, high school wrestling and football. He is even going after his Eagle Scout rank! Wheeew! He has the drive to get this car on the road and I know he is surrounded by people like me, his dad and uncle that would most certainly help him along. I personally would love to be part of getting this car back on the road! We would be thinking of HAMB Andy along the way. Jake is your man if you are looking for a good home for it. Thanks for your consideration. I hope you and your wife have a great future. -John

14. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This is what it's all about! I got my start in this hobby because of the generosity of guys who were willing to help out a kid who wanted to go fast, look cool and play with old cars.
    Thank you for doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

I would like to submit my daughter Hotrodmnm, she is a true car nut and just turning 16. She is currently going to school and working over 30 hrs a week to pay to do her own car a 1959 Edsel ( the build is on here) /www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1959-edsel-ranger-build.1056249/ . She is in high school and is taking welding 2, and auto tech and is studying to be a Veterinarian. The HAMB community is just great, thanks for doing this for some lucky kid. We will keep your family in our thoughts.

Hendee, 302GMC, WTF really and 2 others like this.
  16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Wow !! Awesome gesture on your part sir!!

If it was closer I'd contact you on it. My girlfriend broke her back several months ago and just now getting around good so while at the hamb drags someone had an old 4 door sedan for sale on the spectator side. She wanted it bad, after 5 yrs she has come to appreciate these old things ;)

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wow...thats really cool...and awesome you are offering it in Hambandys memory like that.
    Andy would have been extremely proud to have his name honoured by what you're doing here.
    Great stuff. :)

unclescooby and Dick Stevens like this.
  18. williebill

williebill

Pretty lady, Scooby, with a pretty smile. In a few months, I'll be looking for your posts of that smile in a happier setting. I hope everything goes well for y'all.
    I like your idea about your car, and hope we can watch it all come together on the HAMB.
    Good luck to you guys.

19. All candidates are worthy, going to be hard to pick one.

clunker and unclescooby like this.
  20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

^^^ Agreed. I'd love to do this a couple of times. But these medical bills ain't cheap.

clunker and Dick Stevens like this.
  21. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Being a realist and maybe expressing an unpopular point of view I thought I'd chime in with an alternate point of view. It's this, would someone down on their luck or a teenager realistilicly have the financial resources to get the car on the road and enjoy it? Probably not. Maybe lots of ambition to start with disassemble it, realize the cost of moving forward, and then flip it or let it sit forever. Maybe learn a bit about cars to along the way.

An alternative to your very generous offer might be to auction it off , possibly here on the hamb, and then donate the proceeds to an organization focused on teaching young people about classic cars, mechanics and restoration. I don't know any specific organizations but I think there are a few. I think Hagerty Insurace is associated with one in PA. Like I said I'm not dissing your very generous intentions by any means. Just throwing out an alternative to the same means. Best of luck with whatever you do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray, kiwijeff and unclescooby like this.
  22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

^^^
    I hear ya. But it's a pretty decent car. I think the body and paint are fine (in my opinion) and that old flathead might even run. They are neat engines and Hitek here on the HAMB makes speed parts for that engine. I will try to help out whomever gets it.
    I'd love to see it become a HAMB build but thats not up to me.

clunker, kiwijeff and rytang like this.
  23. Nicky flores is your guy. He is the perfect person for this car. You should see where Nicky works it will be well taken care of. I was going to volunteer to take it with my intention of giving it to Nicky.

DylanHill1931 and unclescooby like this.
  24. Nocero

Nocero

Best wishes and prayers to you and your wife.
    Not to be negative but be careful who you select, if I give something away under similar circumstances again I'm going to ask for some references from respected members here.
    I gave away some things on the hamb once years ago to what I thought was a good cause with the only request was a tech thread showing kids using the tools and the person was never heard from again to my knowledge
    Kind of disappointing.

DylanHill1931 and unclescooby like this.
  25. Nobey

Nobey

Such a beautiful Lady, hope all turns out well for you both, and your car finds a good home....

26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I'll take it, I just need a trailer that's worthy of the road, just redid a 55 chieftain and looking for another older project. I'm an original kinda guy no stupid 22" rims kinda guy

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Prayers to your wife brother, I just got checked for colon cancer Wednesday

loudbang likes this.
  28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

My issue with getting old cars and getting them on the road, I fall in love with them. Just like all the steel art I do and this and that... I just don't have it in me to sell things. 29, in college the third time, electro mechanical engineer/ crane technician. Just limited on space but the barn isn't full yet!! Favorites to the front!

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  29. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That's nice you think so highly of a jerk like me Ron. And only because you mentioned it I'm going to share a link to some rad pics of the shop. Keep in mind guys that I just work here, none of this stuff is mine and no it's not for sale. Please just enjoy the pics and let's keep this between us.

http://www.roadkill.com/the-most-amazing-secret-machine-shop-in-the-world/