Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rear axle moved forward on '55 Chevy - why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

What is the purpose of the "alternate wheelbase" on this car? I've been around cars for a long time but have never seen one like this before. It's obviously a lot of work to move the rear axle forward and then redo the body work on both sides of the car. And the owner is trying to get $25k for it even though it looks goofy as hell to me. Is there less of a chance that it will do a wheelie on the drag strip? What's the point? :eek:

00I0I_dA4eQKuy1JK_600x450.jpg

daniel wilson likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

3. iustabfast

iustabfast

That's not right.
    Looks as bad as a chopped top on a '55-'57

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t likes this.
  4. hotcargo

hotcargo

mmmm............a little too extreme for your typical altered wheelbase car

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

When you move the wheels forward, it puts more of the weight of the car on the rear wheels. You get more traction when accelerating.

works really well on my car....but that 55 does look kind of goofy. I guess mine looks goofy, too.

006-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-gassers-road.jpg

flatheadpete likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Ya...goofy 9's...

302GMC likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sawzall went CCW instead of CW.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the 55 does not look good at all.

koolkemp and Max Gearhead like this.
  9. We should start separate forum with the name " Ask Squirrel"

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

True, but think of the trunk room!

Thor1 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I'm thinking the builder wanted to go A to B as quick as possible...does an engines sitting 1/2 way into the cab look good?...no...does it help?...yes.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think the 55 is a little bit "more" than one would "normally" see in an AWB Tri-Five Chevrolet, not that there are a lot of them out there to start with. It would also be MORE prone to wheelie, than less. The entire car is shortened, not just the wheelbase. It looks like the door is actually the front door of a four door car, and the rear quarters of a two door car. Maybe if the driver sat in the back seat area, it would all "come together" better. JMO. I'm surprised you did't "caption this car", Lebowski!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    DFH-GMC likes this.
  13. I didn't notice the stupid front wheels at first. That tells you all you need to know about the builder.

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

LIL! Sorry man. Can t help but laugh. Reminds me of a clown car from the Circus.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. milo1303s

milo1303s

Looks about the same as these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

koolkemp, rjones35 and catdad49 like this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

the idea is weight transfer. are you guys so young that you dont know that?
    lebowski, how old are you?

17. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm 65. That's why I asked if that would make it less prone to doing a wheelie, which relates to weight transfer. How old are you? :rolleyes:

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

More wheelie prone. Moving the rear wheels forward transfers weight onto them and off the front wheels. But it's done for traction, not wheelies. Started in the '60s.

hugh m likes this.
  19. Andamo

Andamo

The AWB cars started back in the 60's because the cars didn't have wider slicks and horsepower was on the increase. So move the axles up and let the weight of the car help plant the slick better. I have to say that anything before '63 with a AWB looks odd. Can't deny it doesn't work though.

20. For all you young guys,,The AWB cars were the begining of "funny cars" as thy looked funny..

Just Gary, Special Ed and bowie like this.
  21. rooman

rooman

Nope! It is a regular two door post body with the only change being the short wheelbase.

Roo

Hnstray and bowie like this.
  22. I think the shape of the rear wheel well and the lack of chrome or anything to break up the illusion of a 28 foot quarter panel makes it look awkward.-MIKE

23. This photo illustrates the difference between "goofy" and "functional goofy". :rolleyes:

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now take this for example....

Attached Files:

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Where did you find that!

26. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

WBRW32 is correct he has been there and done that

wbrw32 likes this.
  27. To me the altered wheelbases look goofy on a street car. But on a track car with the graphics and decals they look right.

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Blowby, on here somewhere I think.:D

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Somebody wanted to look like the cool kids but had no idea or understanding of why this was done. Sort of like a guy in Idaho who straps a long board to the roof of his PT Cruiser because he saw one on a station wagon in a California magazine.

30. I have always understood that in the old days of skinny bias ply tires, when radials weren't on the market yet, and wide wide drag slicks weren't invented yet, the most race-like tires you could get were narrow street tire retreads, and you had to do whatever you could to "plant" them by weight transfer such as high front ends, low tail dragging, and moving rear axle forward to put all the weight on it that you possibly could.
    That was also before engines became gigantic.
    As a kid, I watched the fastest local hot rod racers even back a car into a service station stall, lower the long heavy rails of the car-lift into the car trunk to mash down the rear springs, then run a chain thru the trunk floor and around the rear axle to lower the rear end just before a street race so they could force the car to rare-back on its rear tires while the other guy who did not do it just spun his skinny bias tires.
    Old old days, without todays hot rod speed stuff led to all sorts of rigs that would look positively goofy to people today who can buy stuff now that was not invented yet wayy back then.

Many ppl today will try to "duplicate" the old looks without understanding the "why" of it, and then miss the mark by actually creating a caricature cartoon of it without knowing where they went wrong in their re-creation.

why be ordinary?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Andamo likes this.