Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac Remote Oil Filter Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormtron, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Morning HAMBers,

I am in the midst of my 28 Model A Roadster project. Power will be coming from a 61 Cadillac 390.

From what I am seeing, the factory spin on filter and housing will not clear the A frame so I am wondering if an earlier remote system will work (say from an earlier 390 or 365). I am not sure if GM changed the blocks to accept the block mounted housing or not. Any help would be appreciated.
    IMG_1127.JPG

low budget likes this.
  2. The earlier filter assemblies wouldn't help you as they were only partial oil filtration.It bleeds off a small amount of oil flow from the system and only filters this then drops it back into the timing chain area.
    Yours is full flow filtration.

Stormtron likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Get a remote filter spin on adapter.

4. 41fastback

41fastback

I think he's saying this bolt on oil filter bracket is hitting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201972393403?chn=ps&dispItem=1 May have to raise the engine for an adapter, offset the engine or make some kind of block-off plate with holes to feed a remote filter. I'm feeling none of these are very appealing. Next.

Stormtron likes this.

5. This thread on CadillacLaSalleClub has a pretty good solution.

Basically consists of making 2 block off plates, drilling and tapping for high pressure hose. It should work and should give you room for your frame. You could even go with a bee hive type remote filter. Food for thought.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=101698.0

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

warbird1 likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Sorry I missed the "and housing" in the OP's first post.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 41fastback

41fastback

I thought I kinda said block-off plate

warbird1 likes this.
  9. I know I'll have to do this when I put the '62 Cad in my '40; shouldn't be too hard to make up a couple of plates from steel or aluminum. If you're going to use an aftermarket remote filter mount be aware that the Cad filter assembly that attaches to the block contains a by-pass valve to prevent oil starvation if the filter plugs and this will have to be taken into account...

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. You did. The link is to a thread from a person that had done exactly what you suggested. Since it got more specific on the "how to's", from someone who made one for a 390, figured it wouldn't hurt to post the link.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. Some good ideas.