Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2017 H.A.M.B. Drags... End Of An Era...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 21, 2017.

1. flatout51

flatout51

My 73 yr old dad made the trip down on Saturday for the drags and asked me today if I would help him pick out a smart phone, he has a flip phone now, so he can join the H.A.M.B. and get the app!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ROCKER77, cactus1, elgringo71 and 9 others like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Ryan I want to say thanks for continuing this "circus act" as I heard it called today lol I have been to every one of them haven't raced at all of em but been there I wish I could have actually been able to shift my dragster on the one pass I was able to make it was on a helluva run you know they always run their best right before they blow up lol I hope that my crew and I at least somewhat put on a bit of a show with push starts we try to make it look as close to 1958 as we can i only live a few miles away but I have driven way farther for way less if there is anything I can do to help in the future don't hesitate to ask oh and I hope like hell you bring your car next year I always wanted to line up next to you then shut you down lol or at least try anyway

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Another outstanding time at the HAMB Drags..... couldn't spend the weekend, but made the 650 mile round trip on Sat, and had a blast hanging out with buddies and watching some great racing. It was definitely HOT, but I think '11 or '12 (one of those years) was worse.

Thanks for putting on a great event..... and I agree, that '59 Vette was COOL!!

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Brandi

Brandi

As usual, the best ever. But, I'll tell ya the best part of the weekend was at about 11pm Saturday night standing around JHo's coupe shooting the shit about the day. It's finally getting to the sweet spot where it's the annual family reunion with the folks that "get it."

Looking forward to it next year. And maybe seeing a DW and JHo showdown??

loudbang, ryno and Tim like this.
  5. Nobey

Nobey

I really like this car.......

loudbang and flatout51 like this.
  6. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Hot yes. 2003 hot, definitely not. Thanks to all , it was super-bitchen' . See yall next year (whew, that end thingy spooked me).

porknbeaner, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  7. ryno

ryno

good job as always ryan, marci, and crew.
    glad to be of service. happy to hear you have another 5 years, or more left in ya'll

triman62, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, Thank You for all you and the girls do for all of us, not just 1 weekend a year but on a continuous basis. It can't be easy. I don't post a lot but I feel compelled to respond to give some perspective so bear with me.

I have been to every H.A.M.B. Drags but the first one with the "St. Joe" guys. Because of you and those guys I have a 31 Model A Sedan built by all the St. Joe crew (can't thank them enough) cus they are great friends and will toss a helping hand to anyone that needs it and I certainly did! I remember year 2 riding for hours before the Drags in Flamed"A"Bones Sedan on the cruise to Starbirds and thinking damn I need one of these . I set off to make it happen so I could truly experience the Drags the right way. I learned how damn frustrating it can be to be sooo close and not make it, and how satisfying/rewarding it can be to drive your very own HOT ROD 400 miles round trip to race it. Those lessons helped me put life in perspective you can't make a journey if you do not take the first steps.......this has paid me dividends far beyond what I could ever hope to repay. The fact that you have been as gracious and humble EVERY SINGLE TIME about the Drags, cars, people, and being internet famous, never fails to make me see the good in all of us and strive to be better at making new friends.

Through the H.A.M.B. Drags I can honestly say that I have friends all over the country. I only know these guys from the hotel parking lot, but damn are they friends all the same, and I miss them when they are not there. Most of the people I have met would not know me from Adam if I weren't next to Jeff, Brad, Willie, or Mike but to the man(or woman) they have all been outgoing easy to talk to and willing to share their knowledge. You don't find that in the general population trust me I'm antisocial but at the Drags everyone is a pal.

I literately started sweating at the thought that this was the END. I want to continue this tradition for selfish reasons so, you had better bring something FAST next year to relight that passion of yours so we can all sponge off your work for years to come!!! If I can help out in anyway just let me know.

One last thing Jeff, Brad, Willie, and Mike thanks for letting the fat kid hang with the Kool Guys. See Y'All next year at the H.A.M.B. Drags...... photo.jpg

oldsjoe, Malcolm, flatout51 and 5 others like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is what it is all about fellas......
    Drag racing is only part of it.
    Yea it's about the cars but seeing your friends and spending time.
    Meeting new people to become friends.....

Really a great time.

10. Butch M

Butch M

thanks Ryan and crew Great time as always seams like I break something every year but that's ok can't wait till next year

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES...PAST, PRESENT AND NOW FUTURE....AGAIN!

oldsjoe, flatheadpete, ryan-o and 6 others like this.
  12. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I wont lie, got nervous at the title. I am very pleased to hear this event is continuing, and as a young guy into this sort of thing (a rare thing to be, unfortunately), this event is on the bucket list. It sounds like a great opportunity to meet people I've learned from, and those who made this awesome site possible,
    Thank you all!

triman62, Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  13. This event is on my bucket list. I really need to bring my coupe and let her do what she does best. Thanks for the pics, and video.:D:D

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that sounds like something I can look forward to. I am soo glad to hear there are more Drags planned in the future, my son is just now getting into it!

loudbang, cactus1 and Tim like this.
  15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Man glad to hear I didn't miss the "last" one. I think I have made 11 out of the 15. Almost blew off my 50th HS reunion to make this one but thought as old as some of us are getting I had better go. Class of 18 and 15 showed up. My buddy from HS, Larry said hell you should'a called I would have gone with you. We put a straight eight Buick in a shoebox Ford in HS so he's our kinda folk.
    Seriously, great your going to keep it going cause I'm gonna keep coming.

loudbang, guthriesmith and Sancho like this.
  16. scoop

scoop

Good to see you again Rocky,you bring your coupe I'll bring my truck.Deal?

loudbang likes this.
  17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

@flatout51 ,my hero, I officially challenge you to a flathead roadster grudge match.

Very interested in this new flathead class.

ROCKER77, flatout51, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. flatout51

flatout51

Hahaha!! I accept this challenge and shall give it my all!

ROCKER77 likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll bring the sun dial!

61cad, flatout51, raven and 1 other person like this.
  20. raven

raven

I've been to every HAMB Drags held. I only missed racing twice. Yes, it's grown and changed over the years, but it's still the single event I make plans to participate in every year. I didn't race this year due to the breakage from the last two years of racing (that will be remedied before next year), but the one thing I don't understand is the people that register their cars and just bring them to sit in the pits and never race them. I'e seen it happen all too frequently over the last few years. Really? You went through all that to get your car registered, drive or tow it down and just end up taking up space in the pits for no reason? If you wan to only show it, then there is a space on the tower side for the cars to show. Please don't take up precious space in the pits for your static displays. We do enjoy the old cars, but the pits are for racers not posers. Thank you...
    r

21. flatout51

flatout51

poser here. Broke a shift rod 30 miles into a 400 mile round trip and parked my car in the pits where @Ryan told me to. Next year I'll park over with the Honda's and Toyotas........... there was plenty of room for "racers" in the pits no need for name calling.

cactus1 likes this.
  22. Mo rust

Mo rust

We brought our flathead roadster and my wifes big block chevy roadster and sat on the spectator side and had a great time. We trailered the flathead because we had yet to drive it more than a block from home and didn't trust it but on the way back to Springfield, the wifes roadster suddenly lost oil pressure and we had to drive the flathead and trailer the Chevy powered roadster. Sixty five miles for its first real test drive and it did fine.

oldsjoe, ROCKER77, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I love that flathead roadster! I looked it over Friday night at the hotel and said hello though I couldn't remember you hamb handle. Car looks amazing!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know a few guys that do it to support the event. And I really appreciate them.

But now that you bring it up, I'd like to see more hot rods racing. Fast cars are fun and all... but street hot rods add interest.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. HERES A FEW THANKS FOR PUT IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0281.JPG ING IT ON

oldsjoe, Malcolm, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That's the main reason I love it. I drive my 40 nearly 500 miles each way with a bike rack on the back. Run it about as hard as I can at the track and drive it back home. (So far I have been able to anyway). It's not terribly fast, I race it on the same Coker wide white bias plies I drove there on, and it never fails in the first round of eliminations I have to line up against a real race car but I don't mind, it's still a victory for me just running that way. That's why I always enter the Ya-Hoo cup deal too. I'm glad you are gonna keep it going and I'll keep showing up for it. Thanks again to all who work so hard to make it happen.

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. I was totally digging it in the staging lanes looking at all the bad ass Coupes. It was a DRAG COUPE celebration this year. Not to mention all the other cool hot rods. We are going to get some slicks for Dad's three window next year and might have another little traditional surprise if all goes right. It will always be hard to separate drag racing and fast but that is relative to what you are driving etc. But "uber" fast. I think we maybe done with trying. So I am going to go get started on a really cool traditional drag strip hot rod and not worry so much about speed. By the way...how much boost can you pushed through a flat head anyway!!!? LMAO.

loudbang likes this.
  29. I agree on both accounts. The last couple of years I haven't "raced." I won't pass tech (at the track) because I don't have a scattershield (which I'm guessing most street cars do not have?) so I have not been registering and just parking in the designated "cars of interest" area. (This year I was parked on the pit side as @Kevin Lee 's MC support crew ;).)

flatout51 and loudbang like this.
  30. RYAN,
    This guy is in his middle 70's and built this just for the 2017 HAMB DRAGS.....never even raced before! Besides getting the flatheads and bikes motivated, what say we go after the Vetts too? FIRST FED.JPG