Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone help with old Moog part #'s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Aug 4, 2017.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas,
    I need a bunch of front suspension parts for my '56 Pontiac and was hoping someone could help with part numbers for aftermarket parts such as Moog.
    I have the GM part numbers if needed.
    I need to find 2 each upper inner shaft kits, outer lower pins, and 4 lower inner bushings (or 2 shaft kits).
    Thanks in advance to anyone with an old catalog that can look this stuff up for me!

2. Have you looked at Kanters yet?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure my TRW catalog goes back that far but if I can find it I'll check.
    Here's a link for Kanter https://www.kanter.com/content/Pontiac/kanter_Pontiac_1956_Front_End_Kits_152171.html
    The description is rather generic and vague so I'd call and ask exactly what was in the kit. 417 sounds like a lot of coin but unless you find some real bargains on Ebay for old stock items individual pieces added up will probably go over that.
    I have done pretty well on Ebay when using parts numbers and finding stuff that people got in lot buys in store closeouts that they are selling with just the part number and little or no description.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I can, but it would require walking out to the shop. might take a few minutes. It's still early in the morning.

partsdawg likes this.

5. James Slay

James Slay

I Found some Control Arm Shaft and Kit PNs from Rare Parts Inc.
    From what I can tell Jegs sells these.

upload_2017-8-4_9-42-31.png

J.S.

flypa38 likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

you'll have to do your own looking up. Here's the book

moog pont 1.jpg moog pont 2.jpg moog pont 3.jpg

7. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Mood has that in their website I'm pretty sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. squirrel

squirrel

Do you have a link to it?

then we'd know.

9. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

10. squirrel

squirrel

That's fine for parts they still produce, but doesn't list the obsolete parts, does it?

11. I see some obsolete Moog parts on eBay quite often, worth to plug-n-chug your part numbers in for a look.

12. flypa38

flypa38

Sorry it took a while to reply, I work nights and just got up.
    Anyhow, I had my cart loaded at Kanter and decided I better ask a few other Pontiac guys before I spend that much.......good thing I did! Got quite a few reports on some bad quality control issues on the parts I need in particular.
    I'll buy from California Pontiac Restoration what I can't find NOS......always had good luck with them, but suspect they're forced to sell "imported" too.
    Squirrel, that's exactly what I was looking for! Ideally I'll be able to find them on ebay. Thanks for the replies so far!

13. Try N.B. Pease antique auto parts in Palmer, Mass. 1-413-283-7620. Nelson has an extensive inventory of mechanical parts.

14. flypa38

flypa38

Thanks! Ill give them a call Monday! Tried calling earlier today with no answer.
    No luck on Ebay yet for NOS parts. Is there such thing as an interchange or cross ref list for other aftermarket suppliers like Thompson, Hershey, McQuay, etc.?

15. squirrel

squirrel

There are cross references for other parts, but I haven't seen one for suspension parts. Doesn't mean there isn't one...just that it might be hard to find

16. I have a lot of 30's to 60's suspension parts I have owned for over 30 years. Regal and other manufacturers, all US made. Give me the GM part numbers you have and I will check my inventory for them.
    Dave

17. flypa38

flypa38

Man! I appreciate you checking!
    I think this is what I still need, two each is what I need:
    Upper inner shaft package - 520872
    Lower Inner Shaft package - 522590
    If not the lower shaft package, bushings - 518870 (need 4 of these if you don't have a pair of the above)
    If you don't have them, would it be possible to post the aftermarket part numbers from your catalogs?

Thanks again for checking!
    Johnny

18. I will try to look tomorrow or Wednesday
    Here are some numbers in the meantime:
    Upper inner shaft package - 520872 Moog K-148
    Lower Inner Shaft package - 522590 or 380295 Moog K-5055 3-14" c to c holes
    (If 1-7/8" c to c holes P/N is 529175 Moog K-118)
    Lower shaft package, bushings - 518870 couldn't locate part no.

19. flypa38

flypa38

James, somehow I missed your post! I saw those, but was wondering about the quality. Any experience with their stuff?
    Thanks!