Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects sbc barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tberger06, Mar 12, 2017.

1. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Free is great, I had to pay $100.00 for mine, it did come out of a '66 vette. It also had a bad rod bearing on #5, which is now turned to -.040 also.
    Actually I see & hear them all the time, on here, locally, and else where. They are a great motor, as with the 283, and their not a 350! Which I'm putting in my OT square body S10 with injecjtion.

I'm watching.

Pat

2. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

If you keep the stock cam, the big truck engines had an interesting cam probably similar to what people used to call an "RV" cam, lots of torque and they don't want to rev very high, but that is how most vehicles end up being driven and they actually run quite nice when you get rid of the governor and all of that.

3. tberger06

tberger06

Progress update:
    I realized that my oil filter adapter was on upside down in some of the previous pictures, but I flipped it over and now it's correct.
    I've installed the harmonic balancer, crank pulley, short water pump, oil filter, starter, intake manifold, and thermostat. These pics are just a mock up with the valve covers...I still need valve cover bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

How are you guiding the pushrods?? I see Vortec heads, but you didn't mention where the rocker arms came from....the old 327 rocker arms won't work on the Vortec heads without using pushrod guideplates and hardened pushrods to keep the rocker tip aligned over the valve tip.....the stock set-up on the Vortec heads is a self aligning rocker arm that has a rib on each side of the rocker tip to keep it over the valvestem tip.

If you've already got this covered then just ignore.

5. tberger06

tberger06

I didn't specify, but yes I am using vortec style rocker arms like the one on the right in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

6. I like what you have done with this engine. First, everyone believes that you must paint an engine black! Really? And, I like your don't change it unless you need to approach.
    Gonna make a great engine when you finish.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Main cap register in the block I don't see studs changing the line bore. Rod caps register off the bolts and it can change with a bolt change and should be resized.

9. tberger06

tberger06

quick update!

breaking in the camshaft

another teaser pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Great engine save and build, but the last picture just sent this thread into OT land!
    Delete last picture and keep having fun!
    KK

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  11. QIK 059

QIK 059
    from Brampton

Was this bellhousing used on some other GM engines - Big Trucks etc ?
    Seems odd that it was used with the "C" adaptor plate ?!
    If Chevy engines were the only engines using this b'hsg & adapter plate combo - why wouldn't they have just made a "proper" b'hsg that didn't require an adapter plate ?
    Or am I overlooking that a large one piece bellhousing wouldn't allow access to the b'hsg to engine block attaching bolts ?
    Thank you :)

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Used in trucks or buses...usually running 366 or 427 engines. I have seen some on small blocks, like this one. I answered your question in my earlier post. This has a BIG diameter clutch ,pressure plate ,and flywheel. The standard size 6 or 7 bolt bell housing won't accommodate the clutch installed.