Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 LaSalle old school convertible coupe build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by F&J, Jul 10, 2017.

1. F&J

F&J

I am back, I have been busy with the Cord and way too many chores. I did want to post two pics related to the new photoshop from Wolf, on the shaved hood sides!
    Seems like when that 34 Boat tail custom that Frank Kurtis built in the 30s, was much later modified. That later version is shown unfinished(text said there is no grille installed yet, hood is unlatched or not finished), but LOOK...the hood vents are gone, and it has smooth hood sides! There is not any info on the car, or year at that time that I can research, but I spotted the car in the backround of the first pic that is a 1959-1960? 4 headlight car...Chevy or Cad?
    ls34kurt-vi.jpg
    ls34kur2-vi.jpg

Tom, Tom, Tom, can we talk?? LMAO.. Eat your heart out buddy... I tried to get our first date out in a remote lost area with a river walk leading across train tracks (both of which she loves) then uphill to a beautiful long lost colonial homesite pasture to sit and talk... Here is what she emailed back (copy/Paste)

" You listen to social distortion....and yes I look forward to talks and trees...and cellar holes. When we have time. I want to see the shop. I feel the best in shops and barns..not tidy"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>Holy crap, I don't even have to clean up my messy shop! She's MINE, hands off you F'n posers..

I am laughing my nuts off!!!...

EDIT>> If you are not jealous yet??? Try this last email she sent after we mostly talk on the phone>> Copy/Paste:

"Souls aren't meant to be kept. Minds and bodies are meant to be shared. And polka dots should be worn often"

She finally sent me a pic of her at some dress-up event party, whatever, she is wearing a polka dot dress.. :) When she finally makes the trip up to here, I know she will have shop clothes on.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. LMAO Frank! you are too much.......a river walk! you been watching those "soaps" too long. Get in the garage and get her greasy man...........see where it goes from there:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

catdad49 and F&J like this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looks like the smooth hood sides are tilted out at the bottom for ventilation...?

F&J likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

You could be correct. Look at this pic of a 34-35 LaS hood "vent-ti-port", they seem to be shaped so that the air going past the hood sides when driving at speed, actually draws hot air out from the fan/radiator? There are engine side splash aprons that really restrict where the hot air can go at idle? I was already going to eliminate those pans on both the 35 and my 34.
    DSCN0947.JPG

For 1936, LaSalles had this long vent slotted thing, shown on Jims 36 coupe:
    100_0726.JPG

I threw out the TV years ago. Oh, I just got back from my other neighbors home. I FINALLY got to meet the young woman who owns the home. I met her new boyfriend Steve, maybe 10 days ago when his car fell off a jack and needed help. He is only the 2nd Caucasian ex-Gang member I have ever met; the first was in the medical hospital.. Anyways, this girl is SO awesome, and at least twice I said "Boy, you sure are pretty" ...and at some point I said "I really like you"...She also likes me, for sure. :D Steve used to be a bit wary (from our first visit), he was wondering then if she has visitors when he is at work LOL. He is OK with me saying what I say to her...he likes me too....I told him as soon as I met him, that he is one cool dude! He has awesome ink, too.

Heck, that is TWO cuties I chatted up in two days; the other was a cute long haired blonde in a nice low cut sun dress. Kevin stopped by to have me go for a ride in the Model A truck to hear an engine noise. He wanted to go a quiet back road, so I showed him a shortcut to the Eagleville dam...then I'd take pics for Amy:
    100_0756.JPG
    ^^^ that's Kevin, Amy lived briefly at his cabin with him some years ago, she would like a pic of him, his new truck, and water, so I took it. Before that, I took a pic of the old brick train depot, as she likes trains:
    100_0755.JPG

that track runs down below my place on the river. Great sounds I tell ya, as they use the horns at this depot crossing near me. They use different diesel locomotoies, and recently the one they are using, sounds exactly like the former "Montrealer" , a brief attempt to bring back passenger rail service from Canada to here. Had a distinct sound then.

More pics at the dam:
    100_0759.JPG
    ^^^There is a cabin on that island, has power from an underwater cable! Sunlight is somewhat odd as we got to the Eclipse peak.

here is the new bridge looking the opposite direction. I took the pic of the wild flowers for her...and me...and now You!;)
    100_0758.JPG

Look to the far right, there is a hill coming down on that road, and as we could start to see the upper earthen dam come into view as we approached, I spotted two people on chaise lounges up at the very top. I asked Kevin if that was two cuties up there? He got closer, said nope, a couple. I told him if it was two women, I sure would find a way to get to them to chat 'em up good. Well, I did not have to wait long till the blonde made her way down to loan me her Eclipse Glasses she brought, as it was 2:45 at peak Eclipse viewing time. Kevin is a beginner, he needs to learn chat stuff:D... I had to go into "quick chat" mode, and I even got her name...Margaret:cool:. I did want to take her pic to show Amy, but I don't know Margaret that well, ....yet... :rolleyes:. Amy said it is fine to check out other girls, so of course I told her about this. Lol

Ok, I have NEVER allowed anyone to take my pic, let alone post it on the net...but I am now & forever, running in full "un-control"... I had Kevin take it for Amy, but here you go... I told her "I simply cannot believe how old I look now" Overworking since May..etc...I look at least 70..and still losing the weight that I gained back at the hospital.. I told her "I am a young, hard core rock n roller, stuck in an old chassis that can't be made to look better". She liked that sentence.
    100_0757.JPG

you wanna go where I ended up?...read the message on the RailRoad overpass near the dam:
    100_0584.JPG

every day gets better.

Life happens for us, not to us.

Attached Files:

5. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

I think I saw that picture on a milk carton once. Glad to see you're back!

I have the splash pans on the 36 LaSalle and it never runs hot. I guess a lot of owners took them off as they are a hard to find item, so don't chuck em.

biggeorge, vtwhead and F&J like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Oh, my...look who made his FIRST post ever on Hamb since joining in 2009. Guys/Gal,s that is LaS Jim who has been helping me so much with so many tasks since Kenny hooked up us. Hey Jim ...oh wait...your old nickname back as a punkazz kid was "Deuce" ... your avatar pic makes you look a bit better than in real life.

Ok, I went down to fix a cheap jack for somebody. Most things like this get thrown away even a new one like this...but then it goes back to Asia, and it will come back as some other sketchy thing!

The plunger piston is not spring loaded, it gets pulled up by a very thin cheaply designed hardened clip thing, Shown here broken in two pieces. Also in that pic, I made a 1/8" thick loop to go over the lifting clevis pin.
    100_0760.JPG

100_0761.JPG

^^^ the loop is welded to a 7/16" flatwasher that I cut a wide slot on. That made a C-clip that could be crushed back into a complete circle, into the original groove running around the piston where the old clip gripped.

100_0762.JPG

The piston worked great but the handle simply does not go in the opening enough. That cause the red metal loop to spread open. So I removed a 3/16" stop pin, and redrilled the hole a 1/4" further out. Straightened the red loop thing, cleaned the rust off the main piston that sat out in the rain? Oiled everything that moves...done, works nice.

Ok, I said I would wait till morning to get a good idea, but I came up with the ideas today... Hmmn, I hear people next door outside, so I go to see Steve going in. I told him his jack is fixed...ran through what I did,...oh, his girlfriend comes out say "Hi Frank, here is some supper" Steak from the grille last night with noodles, "bring back my container" Man, I just met my neighbors and look how stuff happens. It all started when I noticed back when the car fell, he later went to get a new tire for the rim. I left a note on his jack :
    100_0692.JPG

He asked why I fixed it today, and I said I don't have a TV, so I went to my shop late and just came up with something.. He said :No TV? how about a radio? I said in the shop, running 80s/90s Alternative rock, full blast... he said Me Too, that's my music!,...named off all the major groups too :)

All of us in my local world help each other out, the list is too long of all those that do things for each other. I asked Steve if he DID go in and give her a hug when I was there earlier, they both said yes!

Oh, I did want to see if that LaSalle transmission shaft was too hardened to maybe cut on my lathe with a carbide bit... no it just won't work, it needs to be ground. :(

brad2v, Okie Pete, MyCrustyVW and 6 others like this.
  7. hey Frank, i had a customer give me a cheap jack like that, that was broke. i noticed it had a phone number on it for "service" . i called gave them the model number and told them what pieces i needed and they sent me the parts for free.........it had a warrantee.......... still a piece of chit but it works.

8. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

"Oh, my...look who made his FIRST post ever on Hamb since joining in 2009"

I've been playin possum. This is the first time I had something to say.

Here's a link to a modified 36 Caddy with a Marmon engine. They say it's a LaSalle but the hood sides are Caddy and there is no filler neck on the passenger's side rear fender so I'm thinking Caddy. Looks like it has a 37 Olds marker light too.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=150974

F&J likes this.
  10. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

Well, not really VT. I can talk the buttons off a billy goat......just ask Frank. After a visit we both need to rest our jowls.

I got a little sidetracked after I signed up. Life sure do get in the way sometimes.

F&J likes this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Ok, what year & make is this 31-32 GM coupe? My son just called to have me look at the pic Kyle sent from work. They are thinking they can use the rear window panel for one of Tim's projects..
    IMG_0486.PNG

ok, I decided that I don't have time right now to finish uncovering the business name and the rest of the words on my Model A huckster...so here is where I left off... Pretty cool, eh?
    100_0764.JPG
    ^^^ I was wondering why I stopped there, but due to the time it takes to uncover more, and the fact that the rest is so easy to read in the right lighting, why bother? But, just late last night, I get a stressed out email from Amy...

Quote/ Cut/Paste:
    I would call. I told you....when I can, I can talk for three hrs. Beginning of the week is always hectic w the kids and my volunteer shit. I'm tired lately...well for over a year really. Being a foster parent to a kid affected by neglect can suck. My own daughter has outgrown most of her devil. Stay well and busy...ill be up soon. I want a day in your shop w cars and company
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    100_0766.JPG

Ok, I will fess up, I told her a while back that I am only looking for the perfect soulmate, no physical stuff. Ok, so where the heck do we sit "all day" or stand up all day??? Ding, I just measured the Huckster rear body, perfect size for a new Twin mattress :) Toss in a pile of nice new pillows.... Get you mind out of the gutter, PLEASE. I will back it up to the low river valley behind my shop overlooking the RR tracks. If we get tired of being cooped up in the shop, or bored looking at beat up old cars... hop in the back and just take a nap or talk! The nap part sounds pretty nice!

I simply will never have the time to fix up the wood issues on my Model A, but I really wanted to keep it for some reason, but I cannot even trailer it to a farm show because the thing will start to fall apart more. I'd say I found a perfect reason to keep it. I like old cars and trucks, that's all. By the way, the word "feathers" is an old term carried up North/West from the original English colonial settlements near the Bay area of Massachusetts.. It means: Down filled bed quilts! I F'n love history too..She does too! See, "Amy is the perfect gal.."

The dang heat/humidity FINALLY broke! Nice breeze too, so maybe I can get the heads on the Cord...start it up tomorrow?? I sure hope I can get that far! I am finishing rethreading all the countless head bolt threads, then clean up the original bolts that Jim looked over and said I'd be good to go with those, rather than shorter head, new cad plated ones.

EDIT>> I meant to say that "feathers" is really related to the older style mattresses that had feathers, not springs like the word Mattress means. So, I suppose this company that cleaned/renovated stuff like rugs, bed stuff, would also clean feather pillows and quilts. PS I won't bother with that whole bed idea...I simply don't like to go shopping for stuff....and I'd be sleeping all day when nobody was here.....no joke intended.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  12. F&J

F&J

I was ready to install the heads on the Cord late yesterday, but decided that I'd better fix the sreering at least good enough to quickly drive it up to the garden hose to start filling/draining/flushing the block without the radiator hooked up. The car simply is not steerable! I cannot believe the old guy could drive it without getting into a crash! Ask Jim, he tried to just steer it into the bay as I pushed it with a tractor.

Anyways, the biggest slop and problem was the center steering pivot bearing. Jim looked under there a week ago and said "same as our LaSalles" as far as the bearing; I said No, the 34 LaS is a huge brass bushing and a large center pivot pin, not a wimpy 1/2" bolt. And I could see that the Cord pivot arm center was not big enough for the 34 LaS setup, so it must be the bearing like his 35-36 LaS and some other GMs use.

Here is the K shaped steering pivot; it transfers the fore-aft movment of the typical side steer box & drag link, to change that direction, to move the tie rods in-out.
    100_0751.JPG

^^ looking at center of car under front of car. Yellow shows the K arm. White shows the long 1/2" bolt installed up side down. There is no way to take that bolt out unless the transmission is removed. They did the mickey mouse repair I will show next, when the trans was out! That bolt will not go up high enough, so I cut the very top of it off, pulled it out from the bottom.

100_0773.JPG

^^ here is the K arm. The white X shows that the rubber shock bushings they tried to use, are now crushed and that hole is offset. There is another shock bushing pressed in from the other side..below pic:

100_0774.JPG

^^^ Ok, the bearing is really like what is on a bicycle front fork for the fork pivot! Those have a ball bearing at top and bottom of the tube that is welded at the front of a bike frame. This setup uses a long bearing outer race that gets pressed into the K. I knocked it out, then tackweld two 1/2" flatwashers in each end of the old bearing outer race tube. Then I will use that new 1/2" bolt put in from the bottom, to at least be able to steer the car right now. The car Owner Ron is very skilled at chasing parts; he could not track down the correct number that Jim gave to us. Then I tried, but kept coming up with a flat bearing that is used on some trucks/etc as a throw-out bearing! Same number, but not same bearing. But one link to AACA said a guy commented on needing one for a Buick and was told that is an "old New Departure" number, and hard to find as NORS.

I took the bearing housing out to get a good measurement of OD and length, in case we need it to find one that can work, or two shorter ones stacked?. Kenny called about something else, and I asked him; he said some old bearing place, maybe Springfield Mass or up in north CT? something like Nos----...something for a company name?

100_0775.JPG

^^^ by the way, you see in the FIRST pic of the K, that one leg of the K is not drilled. That is then only drilled for Right Hand drive Cords!

Then as I was hooking up the front of the drag link, I pushed/pulled on it and knew there was a TON of play in the steering box...dammit. Here is the cutaway pic of the Gemmer Box it uses. This Gemmer is not like the slightly older Gemmer that has a two piece box cast. When you adjust worm to roller play on those, you move one casting closer to the other, which jambs the worm and pitman roller closer together.

This newer one has a one piece box and now uses shims shown below;
    100_0781.JPG

Ok, the book is generic, not Cord, but this Gemmer "2" style was used in other cars. So, the book says you must remove the box to do this on a bench! WTH, there is NO way to get the box out, as most drop out forward and downward with the nose jacked WAY up! There is no room to do that, and If I might try to pull the lower box end upwards to go above the radiator/grille stuff, the front seat needs to go out, as the end of the column would need to be pointing under the seat to get an angle it would need. AND, I'd have to remove all those homemade shift stuff!

Ok, I don't F'n scare easy... Here is what I looked at with a calm head. The box is turned around!..compared to all other side steer boxes I have ever seen. In other words, the pitman arm and nut is facing the engine.
    100_0778.JPG
    Yellow is the nut and pitman arm facing in. Red are pieces of the shift stuff.

He, he, I will cut a trap door in the fenderwell, then I can gut that bitch in the car. Pull the box cover, then the nut and pitman arm, then slide the sector out to remove the shims that will then allow the correct gear lash! Ron won't care but I will ask before I cut the door which I will make removable rather than rewelded on.
    100_0776.JPG

^^^ you can see the pitman adjust "stop" adjuster screw/nut, that is the center of the box cover. On most newer cars that slotted screw gets turned in to tighten the slop, but it cannot on this type of box, as you are just supposed to snug that to keep the pitman shaft from moving out from those shims.

The correct way to set lash on this box is by adding(when rebuilding with new gears)..or in this case, removing some shims to compensate for wear. I dodged a bullet I think??....but only if the gear faces are not chewed up, which will still cause a drag and stiffness, especially if the car is not moving or barely moving.

13. Frank, on the k arm it would probably be worth trying to find a pair of tapered bearings and races that would fit. installed opposite from each other so ALL the slop could be adjusted out of it.

brad2v, ct1932ford, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  14. JB36LaSalle

JB36LaSalle

Well, they get points for creativity for trying to replace the bearing but the execution stinks. The bearing fits 36 Caddy Model 60, 35-36-38 LaSalle, Cord 35-36 Olds, some late 30's Buick and a few years of Hudson. I found one ( New Departure #900916) on E-bay a few years ago and finally got around to changing it this Summer when I got tired of sawin the wheel back and forth on the 36 LaSalle coming home from a show in Vernon one night.
    When I took it apart, I found that someone had taken two sealed bearings that had the correct O.D. and the correct I.D. and with a spacer in between, pressed them into the center link. It worked for many years as we have had the car for about 16 years and I'm sure the repair was made many years before that.
    I have a friend with two (what's left of them) 36 Model 60 Caddys in the woods at his house. I'll try to get down there and see if the center link bearings are any good.

Keep pickin at it Frank. I never had a ride in a Cord so I'm counting on you to give me one.

catdad49, Hnstray and biggeorge like this.
  15. F&J

F&J

Hey Deuce....the college girls will be back in town in a week or so... there sure are lot of college rentals near me, across the road, and one frat house that has the lil cuties parking on Steve's lawn and mine during parties... I will give you some visual/aural tips on going into super deep chat...(insert Tiger purrrrrr here). The Cord seats six, maybe 8 if they squeeze in tighter...so we should be good to go...

Sheesh those young boys don't stand a chance in getting their complete attention like I can..

Time for me to listen to some "Social"... Baby!!!

16. Budget36

Budget36

Frank, this thread reminds me of back when I was in College, I had an hour between work and school and would come home turn on the TV and eat, only thing on were the Soaps...don't ask me why,but I had to keep watching that danged Soap daily.
    I do the same with this thread.

Keep on keepin on my man!

Hnstray, F&J and biggeorge like this.
  17. F&J

F&J

I just cannot run uncorked here, I have so much more stuff that goes on here each day. Wow, one major thing with a good male friend this morning, then some more heavy stuff w/phone with a very high end corporate lawyer living in the richest city in Ct... he finally said "I sometimes wish I was born poor". He was supposedly questioning something I did, ...he kinda is a friend now, and I sure did tell him that I like him......This is from me going into chat,(and none of it is planned, played, or scripted...it is just me being open). I have seen tears from "chat" in the toughest guys eyes, and likely touched the soul of many women (and men). Time out, back to cars.

my first chance to eat was at 10pm...I started at 9:30 but Amy called :)

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this thread is a Soap Opera, I'm saying it's just danged intriguing, so I have to read it:)

Hnstray and F&J like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Ok then, I just got an email from the Lawyer at midnight just now, "we are Ok", so no, I won't be going to the big house,.. hmmmnn but wondering if the food is good there like the "other" place??? Not as many cuties :(

catdad49, Hnstray and biggeorge like this.
  20. Frank, give these guys a call in CA.
    http://www.locateballbearings.com/
    I just bought two New Departure bearings from them for the Olds tranny we spoke of yesterday. Had them in stock and they arrived in 3 days. The rear bearing on the main shaft has been difficult to find.
    Long shot but they may be able to help.

F&J likes this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Ok, I'll bite, explain what "advanced" means? I'm reading about your latest exploits, chuckling and downright laughing, all the while my wife is looking at Me , thinking I'm nuts!! Thanks for the adventures, Carp

biggeorge and F&J like this.
  22. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Frank is in his own category, world, train of thought. Its the Frank-enstein way :):):):)

23. catdad49

catdad49

Fed, don't I know it, that's what makes his stuff so darn interesting. It also gives me incentive to get my own stuff done without a lot of fancy equipment (figure it out, it's not rocket science)! Maybe Frank (my name is Francis after my Dad and I've been called Frank a few times)will chime in and tell me a little more about his way of the world. Later, Carp (Frank 2)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. F&J

F&J

Tried to fire the Cord very late today...not good,.... super low compression, I've been dead tired, so I will hit it tomorrow

Carp, you and the other guys have had me laughing so hard that my stomach hurts LMAO... Man, maybe someday I'll tell you on a Pm, but I sure as chit won't post it here.

Ok, dead serious here now; I did get into all that on my other thread, tried to tell, tried in too many ways. Hard to have anyone follow or understand what is in my head each day. All started when I hit 65 and got crushed one more time by "life as we forced to accept". The "system" took $140 per month out of my Social Security check that I F'ng paid into, for the added insult of me being forced LOSE my State of CT DOT insurance that paid 100%, then butt-crammed me Medicare that pays only 80%....JUST because I hit 65! Anyways, I now don't give a chit about no stinking rules, and I hold nothing back,( but not anger!, just the ability to see, and LIVE life as it should friggen be!)... if I see a guy who just plain looks cool as chit leaning on his Harley on the side of the road making a call? I f'n let him know with whatever I decide to do. Never fails to get/see something in return, ...same with chicks...did you ever stand eye to eye, looking at two beautiful 20 year olds...blurt out "Has anyone ever told you that you are SO pretty?".then... "And look at her, that beautiful small braid running down one side of her face, that took a lot of time". They were so floored, they were speechless...and they KNOW I am not hitting on them!!..........and I never planned it!....it just happens!

I am truly "out of control" and I love it! Ask Jim, he was here helping this afternoon...we were talking the old rods we knew back in the Day... he talks up a certain 34 Ford cabriolet, and says "did you know I was once married to the guy who owned/still owns it?? All I said was "Wait, you used to be married to Wally's sister?...is she Hot?".. you get used to Jims reaction to me....he just rolls his eyes like WTF is next!

Ok, I get a call from south of here today, Shep's Speed and Machine; he says" I got a guy here and we need some ID info on an early Olds bell.". He says, do you know "so and so", I said sure I do! He then gets on the line and says "How's Amy??" WTH, I said oooohhh, "we got another reader" here.. He said he is just checking up on me. chripes ..."how's amy?" LMFAO

oh and I showed Jim which house was the Frat party place, and where the single chicks park, and I said I am going to make a cardboard sign to put out front "Free Parking" with an arrow to my lot..said I'd turn up MY music LOUD...then we can chat em up!

We, (all of the gang around here, the young'uns too!) just are having a total blast, that's all. Cast off ALL the bonds, so to speak. I never met a guy who is so total rapid fire, no thinking chat like me, until Jim showed up in my Lot. He phoned me from the truck to see where I was before getting out...that first insane reply from me, led to utter chaos right then, and got worse as I approached his truck,.... it never stopped that day or since! (Pssstt, He just is not getting the whole cutie deal yet) :)

25. Budget36

Budget36

You're an animal, and I enjoy the read daily!

F&J likes this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Everytime I get in one of my moods I get accused of preaching. So, I say to myself WTF, turn around and go about my daily business! You got it Good Frank! I'll be tuned in, Carp

F&J likes this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Got a PM yesterday afternoon, I'd like to post it as it is a prelude to a story on how much I have changed inside:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was reading your most excellent post on your LaSalles and Cord project. Is this Frank Cebula? My name is Alan, I live in West Springfield. I always saw you at the VW shows and sold you the remains of a 50 Split Bug I had. You are one hell of an amazing guy! I work over in Enfield at :(blanked out by me), if you need anything you give me a call there, I even have some T3 parts at home if you should need something for yours give me a yell! Also the bearing place in Springfield is E.B Atmus, been there forever. If you need a bearing, no matter what it's for they can usually get it. Their number is 413 736 4551. I hope you are well! I am working on a Lloyd now, what a miserable yet awesome little car! You take care sir and you are a hell of a story teller, if I had a hat it would be off to you!

Alan [​IMG]

MyCrustyVW, Yesterday at 5:24 PM Report

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was not thinking too clearly when I PMed back that Yes, it is me, how did you know?! Well, idiot Frank, you posted YOUR picture just recently!! I met Alan pre-internet, I was flipping tons of VW bugs back then, had 10 in stock when he answered an ad I put in the old Bargain News from Bridgeport Ct that was in all convenience stores in Southern New England.

Long story short, I had a flashback to my grade school days riding the schoolbus and remembered a back yard filled with REALLY old Vws. I head out there back to my childhood roads, and they were still there! I just was a shy guy forever on certain things like door knocking, so I headed back home. But it was killin me as there was a very rare $ pre-56 VW bus called a "barn door" which relates too the HUGE rear engine lid as a visual-from-the-road clue. Then there was at least one "oval bug" meaning the shape of the rear window on a 53-57 Bug. Days later, I finally got the nerve to go back and knock; a blind elderly widow came to the door after what seemed like forever. Yes, she would sell, saying "I just sold a 57 bug", but "no, you cannot look at them right now"... WTH?? Then a few weeks I go back....but this time I went with my Ex and her yellow 62 VW conv, only "scheming" or trying to "play"?.. as I figured the sound of a VW aircooled engine might be the key! Nope, got nowhere even FASTER!. At some later date, I handed the lead over to Alan, he is not a flipper, just a true car nut with a unexplainable presence.

Well, Alan drove down from Mass, pre-GPS, with my description on where to look "behind a house and bushes" on that road. He called back in a day or two....He never had one issue when he knocked and spoke with her, ended up buying that Bus and maybe a oval or at least a bunch of parts INSTANTLY! on the Spot!! How the 'ell could he do this in one simple door knock?? But!, I know I could have done that "now", the way I AM right now! I was trying too hard? or something?, and I know now that all living creatures give off some sort of "resonance", just like wild animals surely do. That is why my lot and phone is always busy!! Seriously, it has gone crazy here, and my son is exactly the same, there can be 4-5 of his tribe show up on a Friday night...the lot is filled with big 4x4s!

Break the heavy, often unrecognized, chains of life's demands and conceptions, ....let your trapped inner,... become your outer. Peace

28. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Frank, I get your meaning about the resonance as I've always had this thing with animals and children. Adults maybe not so much, but they have been tainted by the world (you know what I mean). Some people get it, others not so much. Oh Well! Later, Carp

F&J likes this.
  29. F&J

F&J

Carp, EVERYBODY has that resonance, it is an intuitive part of living creatures,,,and YES,>>> "but they have been tainted by the world", THAT is THE reason it remains intensely restrained by MOST people in this messed up world. It is almost impossible to break out completely without some major life changing event though!!

Hey, I was wrong about how Alan ID'ed me: just got another PM as to how....

QUOTE/
    I kinda pieced it together reading your topic. Worked for VW, great craftsman, the name and area and I kinda took a shot at it. (all those years of watching Columbo!) That's a great area you live in, I'm glad you have such a nice place where you can do what makes you happy. The Lloyd is a most unusual car, it is very small, in fact it's classified as a microcar. This is one of the rarest ones! Yeah I had a 59 Bel Air 4 door, then a 54 Buick Super (great car) then a 58 Edsel (bad car, reputation richly earned) and still have a Zwitter I will probably get rid of. Oh I wouldn't just stop by, it looks like you have enough people doing that! I look forward to seeing more of your shenanigans! ENDQUOTE/

See, I am still learning this whole "live your life as a leaf in the brook". You should NEVER try to guess what a person means.....geez, just ask them!!!, but.... if they are not fully open like we all should be, you might just get some sidestepping! I never should have allowed myself to "know" he recognized my picture of me...we last met before I had aged so much, so quickly. But dammit Alan, you just had to mention a Zwitter, didn't ya...and "might get rid of it"... I am damn near pennyless at this point, and facing some final readjustment of the $15k + bills that came from me being "too open" on the AACA.. but "hold" that Zwit for me, dude! My T3 is beyond patching anymore after 10 faithful years! A bug will cramp my capacity at the scrap recycle place, but I can take my truck for stuff like that. Still have my trusty Southwind gas fired heater from the "57 oval euro rag" I ran for five years prior! I sure do miss the bugs. We still have my sons childhood never started by him "project" 59 rag sunroof that is a good donor and I have enough stuff to do up my favorite 88MM engine, or go
    smaller CC with a Judson supercharger I JUST looked at yesterday on the shelf by my radio!... and...wait fer it, a "reversed ring gear"midengine/backwards" 914 Porsche 5 speed..the only 5 speed with the better OD! I wondered just recently about what to do with all that crap...ha, build a "quicky"driver? When can I find time? IDK, but I KNOW stuff works if it was "meant to be"!

Dang, just got a call this moment. 70 VW bug autostick won't start-no crank,... a LONG time customer left it last night at the bowling place up the road. He was going to have it towed but we will meet in an hour there,,,I should be able to get it to start to bring here....oh, was starting the Cord today? shheeeshhh >>>>(don't make serious plans, plans can lead to disappointment if you honestly think you can predict your future!!)

hmmmmn kinda a VW type of day??? WTH

30. F&J

F&J

Ok, just got back an hour ago, I drove the bug here....it finally also needs an engine. I told his wife who bought the car 20 years ago as a non-running car with an auto trans that also was told it supposedly would not go into gear...I worked on so much of the entire car... I said " I fixed the frame-head rot, brakes, saved the motor and trans, but that motor could blow up in a week or maybe last a few years"!! Well, 20 ain't too far off my estimate LOL.

Hey epic experience when Pete ran me back to the bowling alley to fetch my T3. But first, I always look for local signs of how the "real" local economy is doing, not the BS you all hear on TV. That big parking lot was shot years ago, asphalt has a certain lifespan. well, there is a crew there, maybe getting ready to repave? or sadly, maybe yet another patching? We will see, if it gets all new, then there is a sign!

Ok, constant readjustment of what I thought I did not care for, sometimes swaps around HARD! We are heading back...a steady stream of Porsches...the Boxsters (roadster)I think they are called?, but 2/3rds were the 900 series?/ Coupes like the old 911's style! A f'ng rally! Rock the F on! Man, had to be 50 of them, all broke up in groups of 5 to 10 cars! Many/All? had vinyl ID numbers..What a intense rush, car people getting together with like interests.. Man, those cars looked so badass, as well as the drivers and co-pilots!

Just the at last Ashford Cruise, there was a Boxster roadster sitting right next to my sons 32. I saw that nobody was ever looking at it and I felt the same damn way! I just looked to see if it shows in this pic, but no, it was just out of view to the left of him. The 48 Ford Tudor to the right is a newer member of my old club, the Ty-Rods...also named Frank, older than me, former or still? hard core dragracer that ran station wagon class...because...he wanted to! Then the 39 Chevy 2 door sedan, that is Dick (who I told him "you look familiar" in that post) who worked for Bob Sr and then later also when Bob Jr took over the station, ....Dick's wife is Sharon, the old forever schoolmate I said I met there! Damn, I know Sharon was at my lot with another woman a few years ago, but danged if I can recall why.. :confused:
    100_0594.JPG

On to the Cord Today! I'll give it another go,.... as the bug is "done for" and needs a motor.. not now though, he won't care how long!