Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headroom question chopped A coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Par34, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

par 34, yes I chased this car from Georgia where I missed out on buying it. it was originally listed on the hamb. it was listed as a fresh build, and a turn key car. it was sold to a guy in N.Y who found that it was not quite a turn key car. looked finished but still had a lot of small thing done and a lot corrected. the guy that bought it in N.Y only had it for a week or 2 before it popped up on the hanb for sale again. he said that he had planned on pulling the y-block out and putting in an arden flathead. also I don't think he fit the car very well. anyway long story short, I bought the car, probably paid way to much but I wanted this style of car, and because of health reasons do not think I am going to be able to finish the one I am building. the car only had 4 miles showing on the odometer when I got it. I drove it this summer and fixed a few thing that should have been done in the initial build, and have a lot more to do to make the car a true turn key reliable car. I will say that the car was well built , but looked like it had been thrown together towards the end of the build. also shows 2-3 different levels of craftsman ship in the work, as if there were several owners before the car was drivable, or as I say , hastily put together towards the end of the build. I did not receive a "build book" with the car the fellow in Georgia claims that he gave one to the guy in N.Y. claims he never got one. makes no difference at this point. it does make it hard to I.D. part sources and such if I need to make repairs or to finish up things. the longer I have it the more I find wrong. paint was touched up in places ( you can see the tape lines ) I suspect car was painted then damaged during the build when the sun hits it just right you can see the paint is thin on the left quarter panel and you can just barely make out a gost of primer in a small section just forward of the left rear tire . It has a 272 y-block in it now, but I have the parts to build a 312 with 2x4's so I am working towards that along with the other thing that need done .Getting the fuel gauge to work is one that is going to be the biggest pain for me because I need to pull the tank out of the car to get to the sending unit, so I can ck to see what the sending unit resistance is so I can have the gauge modified to work with it ( stock restored 36 ) or get a different sending unit. guess I got a little carried away, and should have just said yes it was in Ney York for a short time. don't get me wrong I love the car, just think it was not really quite as advertised , but I wanted it and bought it, knowing there were things that would show up that needed attention being a fresh build. no real regrets, I planned on several changes anyway, but the basic look will stay the same. If you have any info on the car or its history I would appreciate anything you can tell me. I contacted the original seller in Georgia, and he is not very forthcoming and seems to not want to talk about it. it's all good. Oh I forgot the guy I bought the car from is in Red Hook N.Y, and I like the look of the p/u in you avatar.----Jim

2. Par34

Par34

Jim, I know I saw that car at a local car show, Red Hook is only an hour away from me. Yes I remember the owner being tall. That's about all I know about the car. I enjoyed your story, I've experienced some of your same emotional car buying experiences, bought a 72 Ford f100 short bed three years ago because it had most of the mods done to it already. Like you said 2 to 3 people worked on the car and whatever the last guy did was done wrong...way wrong. Spent 9 months pulling it apart and making it right and did some other stuff to it too. Got to change the cam for a more streetable one but will do that soon. I will never buy a car or truck again without seeing it in person. The 31 model a pickup I sold to start the coupe project. The 31 was build well by Throttle Jockey Originals, TJO built the truck for a guy that was 6'-3" I don't know how the guy fit into the truck. It was radically chopped and channeled. I fit into the truck fine as far as head room but front to back was a problem, knees hit the wheel and I'm not tall. That's why I wanted to build a coupe much more room front to back. I finally found a clean coupe that had been taken apart and the body had all the metal work done and it was done right. So yeah I paid a little more than I should have...sound familiar? But was able to part out the rest of the car for some good dough. The coupe is coming along fine, just getting worried about the headroom but I have a few options so will probably chop it 3-1/2". Still have some time before the chop as it will be one of the last things to do. Hope to finish it by the summer. I like the look of your car, hope you are able to sort it out and get good use out of it.

3. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

4. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Par34, I will get it sorted out eventually. I don't plan on ever selling it. it will be mine until I go to the grave. I was just hoping that I would not have to do so much of the " little" things. my bad back and lt. knee make working on this low car a little tuff. the interior is pretty tight for an "old" guy ( am going to be 65 next mo.) to be trying to crawl around up under the dash. If you saw this car at a car show it would have been early this summer because I received the car from the shipper the first of May this year. hell shipping alone cost me $4500. to be shipped enclosed all the way to Alaska. I have more money in this car than I could ever get out of it, but that does not bother me, like I said it is mine to the grave, and I enjoy the car. can't take the money with you, may as well piss it away on something you enjoy while your health is good enough , instead of whishing you had later on. keep me posted on your car would like to see it.

nightmoves and Genes12320 like this.
  5. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

oops, forgot you have already posted pictures, can't wait to see it furtherJim along---

6. A Boner

A Boner

Dropping the floor below the top of the frame rail is something that has to be done when building the chassis. If you try and do it later in the build, there is too much stuff in the way!
    image.jpg

7. Par34

Par34

Going to go with a 3-1/2" haircut (chop) not going to rework the floor, should have 1-1/2" to 2" of headroom, if it's too tight I can build the seat on the floor, like a split bench style. Thanks guys for your input and help!

8. Awesome - once the decision is made the work is usually quick :)

Now ,,,,
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the modification of " C H O P" is described by what's thrown away?

9. 55chevr

55chevr

Most guys will tell you that you can take a max of 8" out of an A Coupe. If you channeled it 4" you can chop 4". That said one of my bodies is chopped 3-1/2" and it would look good on a channeled frame. Joe

10. Par34

Par34

Yes thanks Joe, I think my sub floor is a little thicker than most builds so 3-1/2" of chop should be fine.

11. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Good words of wisdom from Dana. Look at my avatar. I'm 6'3" and some time get a kink in my neck on the stoplights. It's chopped 4" and not channeled at all.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Alaska Jim, Like I told you at a few of the shows I made this summer, you have a nice car. I understand your pain not having the correct history for the car. I have the same problem.....At least it does have 2 doors, is a coupe, and is a Ford. Most everything else that the guy said about the internals was an outright lie. I got it from a dude in the area of the Butte and he better hope I never see him again, he lied so much.....But I still like the car and like you, will have it until I croak. See ya next summer at the show n shines.

Pat

13. I just re-located my seats back and down to the floor, 4 inch chop, no channel. My helmet was hitting the head liner. With my roll bar, lightning rods shifter there is very little room. but it is better now with the seats lower. A passenger will find it cramped, but I guess thats tough sh#t. Its a race car!

14. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Thanks Pat, I don't ck in here very much spend most of my time over on the Ford barn in the early and late V8 forums. I do ck here often but don't scroll through the posts past the 1st page so I miss a lot. I am going to build a new eng. for my coupe, nothing wrong with the old one except it is only a 272 and I have almost enough parts to build a 312. I am going to try and get it done before spring,but I don't see that happening in all reality because of my bad back. I am only good for a couple of hours a day, and that is not every day. so I will keep sorting out what I have while getting the 312 built. plan on a 2x4 set up on it.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Based on my little red truck... what ever you do when you are guess-timating your chop, seat heights, subfloor, etc., put on a helmet (like you going to a test n tune Wed night at the local drag strip). Then add a couple inches above that for some pot holes, RR tracks or washboard roads. My 27's lid is low, so low in fact I CAN'T even put on a helmet! So no fun runs for me if the rules require a helmet. Gary

PS... best solution is not to chop it until the chassis / ride height / floors are done, your exact steering wheel, shifter and pedal positons are determined, the seats are mounted, and you put the helmet on. Do the chop absolutely last. If not, you have to design it in reverse... do the chop (it's mostly for looks anyway, right?), put on the helmet and then design the chassis / subfloor / controls / seats to get them to match you sitting under the roof. A lot harder that way, me thinks. Gary

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  16. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

not an A but cut my unchanneled 27T cp top 5'', the rear windo 2"", windshild 3"". sat in befor i cut, don't like mail slot rear wd. and like to see out the wsld without braking my neck. more chop LOOKS cool but i want to drive it. have a cp & chnl 34 thats a local drive only.

17. Bluedot

Bluedot

This thread is one of those times when I'm glad I am small. '30 A Coupe, 4" chop, no channel, 5'6", 145 lbs. Pretty puny for a bar fight :confused:, but plenty of room in my coupe. :D
    One suggestion: If you can, try to engineer the seat mount to be adjustable. I adapted a Speedway bucket seat mount to a minivan bench, works great. Someday when I sell, maybe the car will be able to accommodate someone bigger than me.

18. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Great car saw it at the Bear Paw this last summer .

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a small piece of scrap 2x4. Turn it on it side (3.5" tall). Sit in the floor. Hold the board on your head. Feel and measure how much room is between the board and the roof. Simple math. In "that" amount of room can you take a certain amount out of the roof and still compensate for seat height that will allow you to see over the cowl? I think you can get all the advice you want but that tape measure is what is going to tell the tale.

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

IMHO, has an "east coast" channel no chop. Looks good to me too just the way it is.

21. Par34

Par34

It's been a while but I chickened ou,t and went with a 3" chop. Car is getting close, runs, has brakes and is wired, needs glass and a few small others to complete.

22. Par34

Par34

Pictures

Attached Files:

pat59 and Aaron D. like this.